C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

My Xmas present...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRWHAT
Nacho,

Here are my Watsons with ceramic coating in Sterling.

Gibby

[IMG][/IMG]
WOW! That looks INCREDIBLE!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:21 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

The only true thermal barrier coating is Swain Technologies. Jet Hot and others are slightly more than thick high heat paint.

http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=ZR WON;1576255708]The only true thermal barrier coating is Swain Technologies. Jet Hot and others are slightly more than thick high heat paint.

I'm not going argue that point even though I don't feel its accurate at all. But what I will say is Swain Tech is ugly as sin.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:32 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

My Jeals are swain tech coated... they may not be blingy like jet-hot, but I think it's a nice clean understated appearance.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteMed
My Jeals are swain tech coated... they may not be blingy like jet-hot, but I think it's a nice clean understated appearance.
I had a set of SW headers coated by Swain Tech and they looked damn good IMO.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 PM
locobob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
IMHO running the quarter in three gears is "not very efficient". I've felt that way since I put a four speed in my 57' Chevy forty five years ago.
With a six speed I've got four acceleration gears, and two more gears for cruising and mileage. Best of both worlds.

Best- 91' ZR-1 - 12.06@117 mph. 1.76 60ft. (Stock motor,bolt-ons only) @24 mpg.hwy.
I think you are missing my point - what is not efficient is having to shift shortly before the finish line and not using much of the final gear. If you are after optimum 1/4 mile times you should be gearing so that your power band is being made full use of.
I think modified LT-5's on street tires can work quite well with the 3 gear approach as they have a very broad and flat upper powerband. My own 368 was faster and more consistent in the quarter using 3 gears (3.33's) than when I used 4 gears (4.09). This was on street tires, if I were serious about dragging and running slicks I would probably give 4.30's a try.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMed
IF Nacho doesn't want that passenger adapter, I'll take it, GC.
Sorry its gone as Nacho bought it immediately!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR WON
The only true thermal barrier coating is Swain Technologies. Jet Hot and others are slightly more than thick high heat paint.

http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock

Not arguing your point but with many 1/4 mile trips under my belt with the jet hotted Watsons shown, underhood temps were incredably lower and headers could be touched with your bare hand 10 munutes after shutdown.

To me, something is surely going on and heat is being channelled away from the headers or they are just not getting as hot as the were before the coating.

The pic shown was of the most recent coating I had done, original Jet-Hot coating that had been on the headers for almost 10 years still looked great, just wanted to start over with fresh coating since they are going on my 91 #1512 and they came off of 91 # 534(RIP).

I had a local company do them this time and I'm happy with the way they turned out. Thermal barrier or not, I just want them to last and any other attributes from the coating will just be a + to me.

Good luck Nacho.

Gibby
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I certainly didn't want to start a urination contest re: coatings or insult anyone, so perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. My original comments were in response to the LT5 header photos, which have Jet-Hots Sterling coating. The Swain-Tech White Lightning coating is a true thermal barrier coating, whereas Jet Hots Sterling and Extreme Sterling offer some heat protection (contains small amounts of ceramic), but is more for appearance and rust resistance (mention of looking like 'polished aluminum' and 'wont turn blue or gold like chrome or stainless' explains its intended use).

I believe the Jet Hot Extreme 2000 coating to be very similar to Swain Tech, but you will notice it too, isn't 'very pretty.' I guess you need to decide which is best for you: form or function. When I was working directly with Stainless Works on the development of their LT5 headers, I did copious research on the best coating for increased exhaust scavenging (which is what true thermal barrier coatings are supposed to do), and max power. Swain Tech was my recommendation to all individuals who purchased headers from me.

When it's all said and done, both will offer the buyer the options they desire. Ultimately, if you want max power, the Swain Tech White Lightning or Jet-Hot Extreme 2000 will provide the most containment of hot gasses, better scavenging of the exhaust and increased power. If you want some heat protection while adding a nice appearance to your engine compartment, then the Sterling or Extreme Sterling fits the bill.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock

Last edited by ZR WON; 12-19-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

[ The Swain-Tech White Lightning coating is a true thermal barrier coating, whereas Jet Hots Sterling and Extreme Sterling offer some heat protection (contains small amounts of ceramic), but is more for appearance and rust resistance (mention of looking like 'polished aluminum' and 'wont turn blue or gold like chrome or stainless' explains its intended use]

I was going to go with the swain tech but wanted to keep down the cost of both the coating process and the shipping involved (budget).

Found a place within 1/2 hour driving distance from me that did the coating you see now for $200.00, that included the stripping of the old finish originally done by Jet-Hot.

The place where I had these done went belly up just a few months after I had these done so hopefully they will hold up as well as the J-H did.

On another note, I sent a set of fenderwell headers to J-H recently to have them done for my 55 Chevy gasser, got them back and what a chit job they gave me, they looked like crap with a capital C! They missed blasting around the collector area both with their abrasive and their coating so rust was very visable in that area when I got them back. Also looked like they were zebra striped, 2 different shades of silver!

It Took a chitload of phone calls and I even got hung up on 3 times when Jet-Hot was called. Finally had to send them back and they were better then the first time but still a chitty job as far as I was concerned.

When I put them on and fired it up, smelled like burnt **** for the first
6-7 times I ran the motor, I think they christened them for me as payback for sending them back. FOCKERS!

Looks like I'll be switching to Swain Tech for my next project.

Gibby
Old 12-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Default You guys are a horrible influence....

Ya'll just HAD to talk me into getting my headers coated, didn't ya?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM
pantera1683
Racer

Originally Posted by Nacho_ZR1

Good move Carlos
Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 PM
andersra
Intermediate

They look great!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

They look a whole lot better, they will now last a long, long time and will help keep underhood temps in check.

NOW, ain't you glad I shamed you Carlos?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZRWHAT
NOW, ain't you glad I shamed you Carlos?
Hehe these headers DO look pretty damn good Just don't talk me into getting a stroked out 415. I'd have to kiss my kid's college funds good-bye
Old 12-29-2010, 03:56 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

They don't need no stinking college! You're already going to have it at Corey's, might as well get some porting, cams, 415... It's only money.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been hungry for three years now but not eating was worth every penny of a 415. Wish I could fully capture the pleasure of a stroker in text. As much as I like these cars I should have done it sooner.
Ted
Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Demps
I've been hungry for three years now but not eating was worth every penny of a 415. Wish I could fully capture the pleasure of a stroker in text. As much as I like these cars I should have done it sooner.
Ted
Ain't 3rd gear fun in a 415? It's just strugglin to hook up completely and the torque is pullin like a freight train. I don't know if my teeth are showing from acceleration or sheer joy, and it don't really matter.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho_ZR1

Admit it! Don't you feel better about putting that peice on your car? Nice Job, keep it going & ENJOY!

Quick Reply: My Xmas present...