C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Pics of X-pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of X-pipe install

So now that I've gotten a baseline dyno of my car and am pretty happy with the results, it's time to start Round 1 of my performance mods: Haibeck chip and x-pipe install. Took the car to a local muffler shop in Dallas. While the car was on the lift, I snapped some photos on my BlackBerry. I have a stock exhaust, by the way, with Dynomax mufflers.

Here's a view of my stock resonator:

You can really see the exhaust going from a 2 1/2 diameter to 2 1/4 as it feeds into the resonator. I had the guy cut the pipes right before the tapering so I could keep it at a nice 2 1/2 inches all the way through.

After the resonator and pipes were cut, I took a pic of the opened up exhaust:

One of the things that I found very surprising was the fact that the Resonator is actually a straight-thru design. This made me wonder how much of a performance gain I would actually see? Hmmmm:

Here goes a pic of the final product right before the final welds were completed:

Overall, I am happy with the results. There is a little more of a drone between 1000-1800 rpm but other than that, I really don't notice anything else. The seat of the pants feel was the same. I am supposing that once the headers get installed, this will compliment the performance.

Also, here is a youtube video of me revving up the car after the x-pipe install. There is a raspier sound which reminds me alot of the Corsa.

Oh, and also, the PO had the dynomax mufflers installed and left the stock ZR-1 tips. I LOVE the sleeper look !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ri5LGvy1VE

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds nasty It would be great to get another dyno reading now. I don't remember anyone putting up any numbers as to what an X pipe alone will do for the LT5.

There was an article, years ago, from Hib Halverson about piecing together a very free flowing system using a lot of stock GM parts. His dyno #'s at the end were very impressive. The goal was to design a relatively inexpensive exhaust using mostly stock parts that flowed really well with very little resonance. I think you could get some good ideas from it. Damn, I can't find it right now. Anybody know the one I'm talking about?

BTW, your dyno #'s so far are really strong. You got a runner there
Old 12-25-2010, 09:32 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Be darned if I could dig up Hib's post on his ZR1 exhaust mod. Can anyone find it?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:15 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default So who won the toss-up

So, Carlos, who won the toss-up? Rudy or John? Curious to hear it now and see how it runs. I wonder how back pressure has been reduced? Feliz Navidad!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by JetJock
So, Carlos, who won the toss-up? Rudy or John? Curious to hear it now and see how it runs. I wonder how back pressure has been reduced? Feliz Navidad!
I'll be taking the car next week to the dyno either on the 29th or the 30th to see what #'s she is putting out now. Feliz Navidad to you as well, amigo!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

This was a stock baseline '95 and a magnaflow x-pipe with a magnaflow exhaust.
I was very happy-- hope you are as happy.

Ted

Last edited by Demps; 12-25-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Polo-1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW 26rwhp from just cat back. Nice hp jump.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Polo-1
WOW 26rwhp from just cat back. Nice hp jump.
I agree! Is this with a 2 1/2"or 3" Magnaflow system? If it's a 3", did you have any port work done? I may need to re-think about keeping my 2 1/2" exhaust lol
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

3" magnaflow mufflers and pipes but I had to use a smaller x-pipe (3" wasn't out yet). Car was all stock except for modified exhaust. Needless to say, I was very pleased.
Ted
Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FU
Be darned if I could dig up Hib's post on his ZR1 exhaust mod. Can anyone find it?
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/flowmaster.htm
Old 12-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Demps
3" magnaflow mufflers and pipes but I had to use a smaller x-pipe (3" wasn't out yet). Car was all stock except for modified exhaust. Needless to say, I was very pleased.
Ted
Yea, if my car did that, I'd be EXTREMELY pleased as well
Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottC95ZR1
Thanks Scott, that's the article I'm talking about. An amazing 28 rwhp. improvement over a stock ZR1 exhaust with stock cats, no headers, and minimal resonance. I seriously doubt that my 3" stainless system with no cats, headers, and X pipe could match that power gain.
It takes a very skilled fabricator to put it together, but I think it's a real breakthrough in performance exhaust for our cars.
Every ZR1 owner should read that article before getting a performance exhaust.
My only concern is that this article is five years old, or more. Hib may have tweaked his system since this was published. It would be nice to have an update.

Get notified of new replies

To Pics of X-pipe install

Quick Reply: Pics of X-pipe install