C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM
blue.label
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does it compare?

I have a big sweet spot for this particular run of ZR1's. To the guys that have the privilege of owning one, how does it compare to Vettes of years to come and other cars in its time period? I'm having a difficult time finding info.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by blue.label
I have a big sweet spot for this particular run of ZR1's. To the guys that have the privilege of owning one, how does it compare to Vettes of years to come and other cars in its time period? I'm having a difficult time finding info.
The ZR-1 Cognoscenti understand what a special Corvette this car really was. And it continues to be underappreciated by most but admired by those that are familiar wih it. I find younger kids to know about it and when they see it, its as if they have gotten a view of a unicorn. To them the car is a legend rarely seen. The stock motor is still brilliant. However, even in the last 20 years, enthusisats have continued to push the technology and the motor takes on those modifications rather comfortably always increasing power. All the while being able to idle at somewhere around 8-900 rpm with 20 year old engine control management and ignition. Nothing like the turbine like sound of the LT-5 at WOT full song. Nothing like the flat hp curve at the top end either.

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 02-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

You really need to drive one in good running condition, to appreciate it. I think it's like the song "Still rock & roll to me", with the lyrics "you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine" - and it's true in the case of the LT5, and the whole ZR-1 package. I've also had a C5, and a base C4, and I'm on my second ZR-1, and there is no comparison in the fun factor, in my opinion. Until I drove one, however, I was pretty content with my other vettes.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

my 2008 coupe w/ the z51 gearing will run rings around my '91 ZR-1.

-it's still faster than an LT1 powered C4
-30 to 40 hp in mods would make it just about right (the way it should have been).
-I'm not sure what early Vipers run like, but this is one point that is never brought up regarding the slow sales of 92-95 ZR-1's.
-the powerband is smooth and it take a little away from the percieved acceleration-but when you look at the speedo, you know it still boogies.

no bmw's have challenged me yet-those cars can be problems.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

I'm having a difficult time finding info.
try the.... zr1netregistry.com/
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

It doesn't really compare...

The most addictive sound I have ever heard was the 90 I once had with the Power Effects exhaust capsules on it. The sound in 3rd and 4th gear as it reached redline use to give me goosebumps every time.
Imagine trying to stop yourself from doing that over and over?

These days on my 91 its long tubes with 3 inch exhaust and Flowmaster 40s out back. Its sounds great but doesn't give me the "buzz" like the 90 did.
This is just one aspect of owning one of these fine chariots from the past.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

You really have to try one to know. It's like trying to describe sex to a virgin, I suppose.

The LT5 sounds and performs like no other Corvette prior or since. And, a fully ported LT5 with headers and free flowing exhaust will make over 500 hp with the stock cams - the way they should have come form the factory in the first place. With those mods it will still idle so smooth I can place a nickel on edge and balance it on the plenum of my idling (500+ hp) LT5. And, it has beautiful manners - will mosey around in city traffic like a stocker.

WOT is what separates these cars from the push-rod contemporaries. I remember whacking the throttle for the first time and being ready to shift when I felt the torque curve nose over. It never nosed over...I was hooked forever! It was turbine smooth and pulling all the way to 7k.

So much is made by car magazines, and sales hype about peak hp numbers this or that motor develops. Well, that's only relative if your describing the characteristics of motors of similar design. But, the 32 valve, DOHC design will introduce the concept of power or (more correctly) acceleration under the curve. The result is the LT5 cars will out accelerate similar pushrod designs having 25-30 more "peak" hp. (And, now putting as much to the rear wheels as a stock LS3 makes at the crank...we ain't a skeert of no C6s in a straight line, 'cept maybe da ZR1)

Well, here I am trying to "describe sex to a virgin" again. You'll just have to "bust a cherry" and drive one. Then you'll understand.

P.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
blue.label
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Where are you located?
Western Chicago Burbs.

Thanks for the responses. I can tell you are very passionate about your rides. I would be too if I had a wonderful piece of Corvette history. My primary inquiry is of the C4 chassis. I haven't heard good things about it and it seems severely outdated compared to the later generations. There is an underlying issue of flex, which leads me to wonder how the car handles the stress from various loads. How is this addressed? Also, does anyone have the numbers for weight distribution and lateral acceleration from a stocker? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Western Chicago Burbs.

Thanks for the responses. I can tell you are very passionate about your rides. I would be too if I had a wonderful piece of Corvette history. My primary inquiry is of the C4 chassis. I haven't heard good things about it and it seems severely outdated compared to the later generations. There is an underlying issue of flex, which leads me to wonder how the car handles the stress from various loads. How is this addressed? Also, does anyone have the numbers for weight distribution and lateral acceleration from a stocker? Thanks in advance!
The C4 has chassis flex but still quite a bit better han the C3. It is MUCH more pronounced with the targa roof removed. However, the C5 hydroformed chassis is significantly stiffer and just a better overall platform. The C4 was not originally designed to support the full roof targa. When Lloyd Ruess decided he wanted one, the engineers needed to find ways of replacing the stiffness lost without the T-Top brace at the top. That's why we have the high door sills we do. Things like a front end camber brace and a new longitudinal brace developed by Vette2Vette help out quite a bit. The 84 Z51 was recording lateral g's of 1g+ but with the sacrifice of ride quality. I had one for 24 years and it handled great. It was the C4 that put the Corvette in the league of world class sports cars. And it was the ZR-1 that established the World's Distance and Time records that still stand today for a PRODUCTION CAR, 24 hour Endurance. There are several of us here in the NW Suburbs of Chicago. I'll invite you to come meet us sometime soon and take a ride in anything from a stock 5.7L to a 441CID LT-5.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

First impression I got after driving the Z I bought after having fooled with a TPI Vette is "thats the way they should have been from the start".
C4s were horribly underpowered the LT5 is a great platform to start with.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

blue.label take Dominic up on his offer.

Get notified of new replies

To How does it compare?

Quick Reply: How does it compare?