C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Rough running Lingenfelter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 AM
davkat
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough running Lingenfelter.

Hi guys this is my first post. First a little history, two years ago we bought a 91 Z with the 368 Lingenfelter package. The first year we had it no problems. The second year I get it out of storage and no problems at first, but about a week later it started running rough like it was running on 7 cylinders. I put fresh gas in it, a new fuel filter, new plugs, and a bottle of Lucas Oil Octane Boost. About a week later I was running it down the highway and I felt it come out of it. It ran fine till last August, and it started doing it again only this time I noticed if I pulled over shut it off started it sometimes it would run fine. Now it feels like it is running on 7 cylinders again. At idle I started pulling plug wires, every plug wire I pulled made it run worse except #6 but it has spark there. The injectors were replaced in 04 by Lingenfelter. I have searched the web, I don't trust any of the garage's around here and to add insult to injury I've been laid off since last March. So any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest checking the injector resistance, as well as the coil pack resistance, and the fuel pressure.

FWIW, for me when my injectors were going, the car drove better at heavy throttle, and rougher at light throttle. When the coil packs were going, it was much worse with throttle, but seemed ok at idle and very light throttle, which made it quite hard to diagnose. All plug wires showed spark idling in the garage.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Sounds like your injectors .
Head over to the forum http://www.zr1.net/forum/index.php

pst......there is a bunch of ZR1 people that are great with LT5's in your State. Seek them out , great group.

Last edited by FU; 02-26-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the resistance checks good on all, you could swap coils and see if the misfire follows, or swap injectors and see if problem follows. Could just be a spark wire also, I would swap that when swaping the coils.

For troublshooting, you might be able to reuse your plenum gasket if it doesn't tear, but if the coolant passages are still being used through the plenum, be careful it doesn't leak into the intake.

Last edited by lbs90ZR; 02-26-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davkat
Hi guys this is my first post. First a little history, two years ago we bought a 91 Z with the 368 Lingenfelter package. The first year we had it no problems. The second year I get it out of storage and no problems at first, but about a week later it started running rough like it was running on 7 cylinders. I put fresh gas in it, a new fuel filter, new plugs, and a bottle of Lucas Oil Octane Boost. About a week later I was running it down the highway and I felt it come out of it. It ran fine till last August, and it started doing it again only this time I noticed if I pulled over shut it off started it sometimes it would run fine. Now it feels like it is running on 7 cylinders again. At idle I started pulling plug wires, every plug wire I pulled made it run worse except #6 but it has spark there. The injectors were replaced in 04 by Lingenfelter. I have searched the web, I don't trust any of the garage's around here and to add insult to injury I've been laid off since last March. So any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Well you have plenty of time, consider replacing the injectors, might not be a bit different flow rate maybe not, shouldn't be more then 400$
Fot the matched set with a warranty from FIC or others. 90% this is what it is.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

Macon,

Wow, I am a former Decatur resident...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM
davkat
5th Gear

Default Thanks.

Thank you guys for your time and info.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Phil DeJohn
Pro

I had a 91 with the same thing. After changing just about everything said above it turned out to be the ECM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

you are surrounded by the FBI gang that know ZR-1s inside out as does LPE

Haibeck is up your way and can fix the car if you don't feel comfortable tearing into it.

could be many things wrong with it, and hook up with one of of the FBI gang and they can help

zr1 net registry is where they hang out

nice car! the lpe 368 is a very special zr1
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Zproud
Burning Brakes

Default re

You looking at getting it running correctley to sell or to enjoy for the summer?

after you do the needed testing and you find you need injectors
I have a good used set of 16 oem injectors from a 91, I would get the FIC injectors if you could afford It.(about 400.00)

Good Luck
Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM
davkat
5th Gear

I plan on enjoying it this summer and many more. This is my dream car and I hope and pray I don't have to sell it, but if I don't get back to work pretty soon I (GULP) might have to part with her. You guys will be the first to know.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Mikey Morris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

GL getting it fixed. I suspect the injectors as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you recall which brand injectors were installed in 2004? If it was Multec alcohol introduced in gas in last 2-3 years could be starting to eat it up.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by secondchance
Do you recall which brand injectors were installed in 2004? If it was Multec alcohol introduced in gas in last 2-3 years could be starting to eat it up.
Multec is a design, not a brand. I put Multec injectors in mine in '05 (made by Delphi), they were rated for E10, and are still working just fine.

If they were GM parts that were NOS or something, then this probably wasn't a good replacement.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Multec is a design, not a brand. I put Multec injectors in mine in '05 (made by Delphi), they were rated for E10, and are still working just fine.

If they were GM parts that were NOS or something, then this probably wasn't a good replacement.
Woops! I stand corrected. I mistakenly believed original GM brand was Multec.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by secondchance
Woops! I stand corrected. I mistakenly believed original GM brand was Multec.
I believe Rochester Products made the original injectors for the ZR-1. Which I suppose through various mergers and spinoffs by GM eventually was part of Delphi...

I suspect the actual GM injectors are the same old ones that were used in 1990. But the Delphi ones have been updated for modern fuels. The manufacture date on mine was within a year of when I bought them, and as I said, they were rated for E10, unlike the originals.

Last edited by Aurora40; 03-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rough running Lingenfelter.

Quick Reply: Rough running Lingenfelter.