C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Once Proud, now a long death…

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 PM
2000Spirit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Once Proud, now a long death…

Today I saw something that was both disturbing and distressing. While driving east on I-40 in Albuquerque I observed a 90 red ZR-1, first, it is rare to observe any ZR-1 in New Mexico because there are so few but that’s not what sadden me.

This car was absolutely abused in every way, no factory wheels, space saver on the rear with bald tires all around, paint was completely shot, windshield cracked, right window was cardboard and duct tape, blue smoke billowed from the right tailpipe. Chunks were missing from the fiberglass on the rear quarter and impact damage was obvious in the rear. The inside of the rear looked like it belonged to a homeless person as it was stacked with crap to the glass.

I guess with today economy one must get every last penny out of their cars but to do this to a ZR-1 is sacrilegious. I wanted to save it from this evil.

At least it home was not here but according to the tag somewhere in Texas. After seeing the obvious suffering of this American Icon I wanted to shoot it with an artillery shell to put it out of it misery…
Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The community still needs parts cars I guess. Sounds like it would be cost prohibitive to restore it.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 PM
2000Spirit
Racer

Originally Posted by mike100
The community still needs parts cars I guess. Sounds like it would be cost prohibitive to restore it.

I think even Phrogs would find it a challange to recycle this one...
Old 03-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Polo-1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seen 2 the the wheat fields up by me.. Off road cars man..
Run then HARD
Old 03-31-2011, 03:50 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Spirit
Today I saw something that was both disturbing and distressing. While driving east on I-40 in Albuquerque I observed a 90 red ZR-1, first, it is rare to observe any ZR-1 in New Mexico because there are so few but that’s not what sadden me.

This car was absolutely abused in every way, no factory wheels, space saver on the rear with bald tires all around, paint was completely shot, windshield cracked, right window was cardboard and duct tape, blue smoke billowed from the right tailpipe. Chunks were missing from the fiberglass on the rear quarter and impact damage was obvious in the rear. The inside of the rear looked like it belonged to a homeless person as it was stacked with crap to the glass.

I guess with today economy one must get every last penny out of their cars but to do this to a ZR-1 is sacrilegious. I wanted to save it from this evil.

At least it home was not here but according to the tag somewhere in Texas. After seeing the obvious suffering of this American Icon I wanted to shoot it with an artillery shell to put it out of it misery…
I agree, it is sad to see such a battered ZR-1. It is simply one more "sign of the times". Our country is being corrupted, manipulated, and ripped off in ways that are as you say, are "sacrilegious". When will it end? Not soon enough... The billionaires and their politically entrenched "dirty deeds done cheap" politicians are still at it and will be until we "the people" put a stop to it.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks like from your avatar you are positive it was a REAL ZR1 and not a "clone" . I hate stories like this. I remember being a teenager reading every article I could on the SuperCorvette, King of the Hill, Corvette from Hell etc. Looking at the price thinking ONE DAY when I'm rich (thats what I thought then) I will have me one of those cars and my life will be fulfilled! - Well, I'm not rich, hell, I'm not even well off but I do have a 95 ZR1 with 7k miles in the garage in off the showroom condition and everytime I drive it, I am that teenager again!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I am not sure, but I seem to recall that if something like that happens to your noble and trusty ZR-1, aren't you supposed to be real nice to it, give it some sugar, then unholster your six shooter, and gently and kindly put an end to it's misery?
( But do you need to repeat it 374 more times? )

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Spirit

Here's one for the 'old timers' in the ZR-1 group:

Maybe The Vagrant retired and moved from Ohio to New Mexico... His was a 91 though...

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR WON
Here's one for the 'old timers' in the ZR-1 group:

Maybe The Vagrant retired and moved from Ohio to New Mexico... His was a 91 though...
Brian's playing "Stump the Band" - not even I know who "The Vagrant"
is/was. Maybe a second cousin to a guy called "John"?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Glenn, et al:

Hint, if you watch Hal's Gathering 2000 video (hard to believe that's going on 11 years ago!), The Vagrants car is visible for a moment. At the BBQ out at Wendell's place. I believe Ed Simmons coined the name....

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

The vagrant was quite the site indeed. What a pile of crap. Still ran like a top though, and the owner wasn't ashamed (although he should have been).
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

By chance did the driver look like one of these guys?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 PM
2000Spirit
Racer

Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
By chance did the driver look like one of these guys?

Wow, damn close and thats just about how the paint looked...

Get notified of new replies

To Once Proud, now a long death…

Quick Reply: Once Proud, now a long death…