C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 PM
vrod vette
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which would you choose?

Hey I could use some advice on my next purchase. Here are the cars that I am researching for my next purchase:
69-74 corvette with t tops, no convertibles, L82 250 hp or higher motor, matching numbers with less than 80M miles would be nice, but I may consider non matching numbers, not red. Why are so many of them red?
I am also looking at a few other options - maybe a 1982 collector edition or 1990 ZR1.

The price needs to be right for the specs of the car. I would like to keep the price between 11,000 and 15000. I have saw a few cars on the web that match these specs, but since I just started looking I thought I would ask for your input.

If you were going to choose between these C3 and C4 models listed above, what would be your choice and why? I am trying to keep in mind increasing or decreasing future value as well.

Thank you,
Garry
proud new owner of a 2011 Harley Vrod Muscle soon to be proud of my vette too!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 PM
carter200
Safety Car

Welcome and congrats on the Muscle. That is one sweet ride The rule of thumb on buying Z's is buy the newest one you can afford. The 90's have NO valve seals so that is a no brainer.
Any big block C-3 would be a very good choice. Good luck
Old 06-19-2011, 02:02 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you're interested in driving it regularly and want a modern, safe, efficient, comfortable, high performance Corvette, then go for a ZR-1. If you like old cars and want an occasional cruiser that gets attention on the street and at local car shows then a C3 would be the ticket.

As far as the "investment" angle, it's hard to say. Generally the old cars hold their values better than C4's... actually C3's have appreciated while C4 values have tanked. However, it seems like the prices on ZR-1's are about as low as they can go if you find a good deal, and they are milestone cars that I think will appreciate in the future.

There really is no best car. Just determine what your intended use is and what you like, and have fun shopping!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:27 AM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

w/ both above posts....let us know what you end up w/

PS. nice bike, enjoy.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 AM
vrod vette
Navigator

Default c3or4

Thanks for the great advice. This will have to be a main driver in addition to my harley - not just a drive to the show car. For that reason I was kind of leaning towards the ZR1, but repairs on the zr1 may be more and when I think of a corvette the picture in my mind is a 73 L82. Although the throw you in your seat feel of a zr1 is another consideration.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vrod vette
Thanks for the great advice. This will have to be a main driver in addition to my harley - not just a drive to the show car. For that reason I was kind of leaning towards the ZR1, but repairs on the zr1 may be more and when I think of a corvette the picture in my mind is a 73 L82. Although the throw you in your seat feel of a zr1 is another consideration.
FWIW....if you are thinking of a 73, I'd try and find a 68-72 due to the chrome bumbers being on both ends. The 73 had the ''rubber'' style on the front. The 68-72 are more desirable and more bang for you buck. If your lucky you might find a LT-1 car.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Comparing driving a ZR-1 to a C3, is like comparing your new bike to a hard tail. Performance wise it would be like comparing your new bike to a 69 Honda 350. Value wise, the C3's are pretty close to have peaked (they're getting over 40, with no great appreciation (except BBs) in the past 20 years or so. Think of a ZR-1 as a big block C2 or C3. If you're in to nostalgia, go with a C3, if your into modern performance and something you can actually jump in and drive coast to coast comfortably and confidently (and not just to the local car show) buy the ZR-1. When you take that C3 to the show, you'll find that you'll mostly attract 60-70 year old men with "boring stories of glory days". You'll be surprised with the crowds the ZR-1's draw. At least that's been my experience.

Last edited by zr1fred; 06-19-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I had a 10k mile 79 L-82 NCRS car.
Like new and beautiful, as well as perfect in every way.
Plan became to drive it to work on nice days as it is only a 10 mile drive.
Was fun the first few times.........................
My overall thought.
My John Deere lawn tractor rode and handled better!
Yestertech.
Hopelessly inadequate air.
Wheres my CD player?
These seats kind of could use something............
Guess it needs a Hurst shifter........
Why doesn't the rear glass lift?
Can't stop at Home Depot on the way home.................
Power steering is way over assisted by today's standards.
What road feel? None on the wheeel, but plenty on my a$$.
How many watts is this radio? 3?

Go with a C-4!
( just don't step into a C-5 or C-6, otherwise most of the above will be said about the C-4.)
I sold the 79 after almost 20 years.
Technology has improved these cars dramatically!
The earlier cars are like what I believe living with a Supermodel would be like.
Very, very nice to look at, but kind of tough to live with day to day, and way way too much maintenance.
Still fun though!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the C-4, either an LT-4 or LT-5.
Let us know what you do and how it works out.

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 06-19-2011, 09:24 PM
vrod vette
Navigator

Default 3 0r 4

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. With my situation I am now leaning towards a 1990 ZR1. I found a few in my price range with around 80M miles or less. I am going to take my time with this search and it could be as late as early October depending on a few other financial deals or sooner.
Thanks again,
Garry
Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by vrod vette
Thanks to all of you for the great advice. With my situation I am now leaning towards a 1990 ZR1. I found a few in my price range with around 80M miles or less. I am going to take my time with this search and it could be as late as early October depending on a few other financial deals or sooner.
Thanks again,
Garry
be sure to stop in at ZR1.net , it is probably not kosher to put a direct link here but it is easy to find.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
vrod vette
Navigator

Default 3 0r 4

Already there too Dobe, but thanks for the advice. I first heard about that here too. Following advice from another great guy on here I am now looking for 91 to 94 ZR1. No valve seals on the 90 ZR1 does not sound like a good deal over time. The added HP of the 94 would be nice.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

First I've heard about valve seals being an issue on 90's (I've had a few ) Ironically, they were/are an issue on the 70's cars.

Last edited by zr1fred; 06-20-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:52 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

valve seals on the 90 ZR1 does not sound like a good deal over time.
They arent an issue those motors are precision machined like you wouldnt believe. No smoke from mine with over 150k on it and plenty of drag/top speed runs on it.

Plus the 90s are lighter=quick

Any Z is a good Z though.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM
carter200
Safety Car

Make sure and get a BLACK one as they are the fastest
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by carter200
Make sure and get a BLACK one as they are the fastest
I don't know about that Carter.......beware of the blue tortoise.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

For a DD I think I would find a C5 coupe / auto, nothing special car. Find one for less than the price of a ZR1. More comfort climbing in and out. To me the C4 is a toy to be enjoyed on the weekends. Just my .02.
If you at least had a beater box for a DD, then get whatever your heart desires.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 PM
vrod vette
Navigator

Rob has a very good point there. For a DD I could drive a regular C5 for half the price of a ZR1 C4. I have considered that already. I even thought about a regular 1990 C4 that is very cheap and sharp at a dealer close to me. The problem is I know when I make that purchase I will be wishing I had the power of the ZR1 and thinking I should have spent an extra 5 grand for the additional power and resell value. Then again maybe I will be wishing I had the 5 grand in the bank still. I am not going to rush into this. I am going to keep my eyes peeled and rush more close to October. Thanks again. Carter, Black always seemed faster to me too, which is why all my rides have always been black. Although I have seen a really cool turquoise and that super sweet copper out there.

Get notified of new replies

To which would you choose?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It doesn't matter whether or not you have a 10 second car or a 13 second car, you will always want it to be faster. For a DD get something reliable and reasonably comfortable. Then you can pour all your money into a hot rod. Then you won't be screwed when you break it at the track. LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Default Former C3 LT-1 owner

I had a chrome bumper shark, 72 LT-1 with A/C. Nice car, ton of fun, and not NCRS. If I was given a choice to have [I]my[I] 72 LT-1 back, but I had to give up my 90 ZR-1.....as much as my 72 was my first corvette & I have a place in my heart for it....forgetaboutit, not even a contest. The ZR-1 stays.

If you can have only one corvette for a toy that has to be able to go long distances or short and the choice was a C3 LT-1 or a ZR-1 then get the ZR-1. Sorry, but a regular C3 wouldn't do much for me as the BB's don't handle as well as the sb's, and the other sb's just ain't an LT-1. JMHO. If you are 5' 10" or over, then maybe a C5 or a C6 is better because C3's & C4's are not too comfortable for tall people. I'm short so it never mattered to me.

I'm not a good measure as to the practicality of a ZR-1 as a DD. I live in the NYC/Metro suburbs and the roads & traffic stink to high heaven. It's sooo bad that I had to go out and buy another DD after my first one died. I tried for about two yrs to just have my Z as my only car, but it was no good for the Z. I felt I was abusing her, and I don't need a car to get to work. Again, JMHO.

Just one more thought with respect to use. I don't even disturb my ZR-1 unless I'm going to be gone all day. Being short, I fit in my Z so well that my last trip to the Gathering in BG this year I left NYC @ 6:30 AM and checked into the U-plaza at 8:30 PM that same day. I wasn't fatigued at all, and I wasn't trying to do anything smart either. I had 4 gas stops & spent about 15 mins on each to have a drink & smoke a few butts....my point is that at 50 plus I would never do that in my LT-1. The seats are no where near the 90's sport seats. Unless you are doing real road work, a ZR-1 puts no stress on it's driver. I can't say the same about my LT-1.

Good luck in your quest!

Tom
Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If early C3's are anything like my old 69 Camaro, I wouldn't get one as a sole toy. I loved that car, but it is sooo antique. Later C4's can be driven like a modern car- ABS, (stability/traction control on the later ones), overdrive, fuel injected economy, and a lot of footprint on the ground.

Additional bonus: pricing is bottomed out on these cars because they are 20 years old.

Quick Reply: which would you choose?