C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Haibeck success story

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM
msgordon
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haibeck success story

I brought my '91 to Marc because, although I had upgraded by the local expert ,(nationally WELL known shop) I didn't think it was performing well.

Although I'm very unhappy with the results obtained last year (I was told 440-450rwhp was probable...416 was the result) I'm not going to publicly call out the shop.

The upgrade performed last year was the same type as Marc's base 505hp with the following differences. No Fidanza, but with new intake cams.

Marc dynoed the car at 395. Pretty pathetic considering what was done 2000 miles earlier. After tearing the motor down, Marc found a poor porting job and a looming cam/lifter disaster in the making.

Fast forward. Marc removed the "performance" cams and re-ported. I did not add the Fidanza. Other than moving the IATS, there were no other upgrades.

I live 7 hours from Chicago. From now on, I will pull my car with my teeth in order to get it in Marc's hands. I'm about to pick up the car and will attach thedyno sheet later.

results: 448/391.

Marc's expertise, attention to detail and friendly disposition can't be beat.

Thank you Mr. Haibeck
Old 12-04-2011, 02:41 PM
anniv88
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marc is one of the best.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Wish I lived close to him
Old 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree totally.

What year is your car? Is the 448hp with stock cams and no fidanza? Headers and what exhaust?

Thanks,
Ted
Old 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Awesome numbers ! If I end up picking up a z and do mods I know where I'll be going !
Old 12-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Marc is an awesome technician and individual, for sure. You made the right choice, IMO.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I sent Marc my Z a few years back for some upgrades. I'm considering sending it again to do the same package you had done + clutch and Fidanza. The cost of a round trip to Chicago is expensive from Calif.

I'm also considering selling it and stepping up to a Grand Sport C-6. What to do... what to do.

Either way Marc is the man that I'd have do the work.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 AM
msgordon
Cruising

Default Results

Here you go. Sheets are attached.

'91, 38K miles, Stainless Works headers, Corsa catback, K&N, full porting, 63MM TB, stock cams, stock flywheel, IATS move, Marc's chip and tuning. Removed the secondaries.

Not only was the original porting crap (secondary cylinder heads were still at the 33mm OEM size!... among other garbage numbers) but the supposed 63MM TB was 61MM. Maybe not that big of a difference (TB size) at the wheels... but it's the fact that I didn't get what i paid for that really pisses me off. So basically I ended up paying 2x for the same job.

Just arrived home from Chicago. Perfect 750RPM idle, NO more header popping!. Put the hammer down a couple of times and had that Holy ****! sensation.... Pulls like the beast should...

Don't even debate it.... go to Marc!!!!
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Before.pdf (102.0 KB, 807 views)

Last edited by msgordon; 12-05-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: make a point more clear
Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by msgordon
Here you go. Sheets are attached.

'91, 38K miles, Stainless Works headers, Corsa catback, K&N, full porting, 63MM TB, stock cams, stock flywheel, IATS move, Marc's chip and tuning. Removed the secondaries.

Not only was the original porting crap (secondary cylinder heads were still at the 33mm OEM size!... among other garbage numbers) but the supposed 63MM TB was 61MM. Maybe not that big of a difference at the wheels... but it's the fact that I didn't get what i paid for that really pisses me off. So basically I ended up paying 2x for the same job.

Just arrived home from Chicago. Perfect 750RPM idle, NO more header popping!. Put the hammer down a couple of times and had that Holy ****! sensation.... Pulls like the beast should...

Don't even debate it.... go to Marc!!!!
Fabulous numbers!

Gotta question tho...

I'm guessing your LT5 is a 368 maybe? If you were to have an aluminum FW, that would put you at 543 crank hp - some 33 hp above Marc's just posted "new and improved" 350/510 hp package numbers, and I doubt the 63mm TB gets that much credit (maybe 5 hp?).

Just idle curiosity.

P.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 AM
msgordon
Cruising

Default still....

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Fabulous numbers!

Gotta question tho...

I'm guessing your LT5 is a 368 maybe? If you were to have an aluminum FW, that would put you at 543 crank hp - some 33 hp above Marc's just posted "new and improved" 350/510 hp package numbers, and I doubt the 63mm TB gets that much credit (maybe 5 hp?).

Just idle curiosity.

P.
...the 350!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 AM
bobbyhi
Advanced

My '90 is down at Marc's for the winter having the same package done. I sure hope to get those numbers when he's done.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy crap, that's insane from a 350 with a dual mass. That's fairly stout for a 368 with stock cams.

You say you don't want to call out the shop that did the bad build, but it would be a shame if someone else wasted thousands of dollars there getting the same work done. That said, you are in Minnesota and you said it was a local place, so it seems a fairly easy guess. Did you follow up with them to let them know of your dissatisfaction with their work?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Tell us more about the potential cam issue.
Great numbers, and glad it all worked out for you!!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 AM
bobbyhi
Advanced

Marv, your's was down at Marc's when I dropped mined off and he told me the story on yours. I was really surprised that your car ended up that way. Normally, "he" does pretty good work. I think that his heart is no longer with the ZR-1 like it once was. He alway took care of me. You can't beat Marc's work though. I won't get mine back until April and am looking forward to great numbers like yours. I have the Fidanza so maybe a little better????
Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

I'm guessing DRM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
I'm guessing DRM.
That's what my guess would be too.
You FBI people, take care of that skinny guy, we need to keep him healthy for the next twenty, thirty years.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
That's what my guess would be too.
You FBI people, take care of that skinny guy, we need to keep him healthy for the next twenty, thirty years.
We keep feeding him pizza but he refuses to gain any weight.

Get notified of new replies

To Haibeck success story

Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 AM
msgordon
Cruising

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Holy crap, that's insane from a 350 with a dual mass. That's fairly stout for a 368 with stock cams.

You say you don't want to call out the shop that did the bad build, but it would be a shame if someone else wasted thousands of dollars there getting the same work done. That said, you are in Minnesota and you said it was a local place, so it seems a fairly easy guess. Did you follow up with them to let them know of your dissatisfaction with their work?
I was thinking the same thing! Marc was VERY conservative with his quotes and after pulling the performance "shop brand" cams I was keeping my fingers crossed just to reach 500 crank.

They knew their dyno number didn't match their verbal quote. It was looked at but not resolved. The car was in a second time last year for a FI problem too. I'll be voicing my dissatisfaction directly this week. They lost a loyal customer of 7+ years.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
msgordon
Cruising

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Tell us more about the potential cam issue.
Great numbers, and glad it all worked out for you!!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Marty,

One of the lifters had scoring and was getting a bit rough. He showed me the offending lifter and it was not smooth like the others. He wasn't sure if it was caused by the aftermarket cams or not.

I'm just glad he found it. Marc's attention to detail is impeccable. Nobody is perfect, but Marc works his *** off to make sure things are done right.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
msgordon
Cruising

Originally Posted by bobbyhi
Marv, your's was down at Marc's when I dropped mined off and he told me the story on yours. I was really surprised that your car ended up that way. Normally, "he" does pretty good work. I think that his heart is no longer with the ZR-1 like it once was. He alway took care of me. You can't beat Marc's work though. I won't get mine back until April and am looking forward to great numbers like yours. I have the Fidanza so maybe a little better????
Bob,

You're probably right..... If that's the case they shouldn't be selling packages and making verbal quotes on results. The heart may not be there buy my $10K is.

The porting was sent to a third party. It doesn't appear that the job was checked prior to re-assembling the motor. PHAIL.

Quick Reply: Haibeck success story