C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT-5 blown head gasket means scrap motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 PM
black88z51
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT-5 blown head gasket means scrap motor?

I was talking to a fellow forum member yesterday who blew the head gasket and pulled the motor out because of it. He then purchased another used motor but never had the time for the project. I have an opportunity to buy the wrapper plus two motors one good one bad for the average price of an average running car of the same year. What would you do?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

1) consider buying a regular ZR-1 for your first one. I will give you partial credit for already owning a c4 so you know about the rest of the car well enough to determine condition and potential headache material.

2) buy it a little cheaper since it's not finished and still broke down.

3) Are you willing to spend more? like 5 or 6 grand more? You never know what the hidden issues might be with the engine or trans...plus you can still get nickeled and dimed on the small stuff.

The upshot is you will have a core LT5 spare.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 PM
black88z51
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be taking over a project. The wrapper car probably has other issues too. Basically he bought one with a blown motor, and another wrecked one just for the motor. There are some spare parts but since I wouldn't be installing the engine myself all that $ value's a wash. Since prices have dropped I've been looking around for one and holding off for something decent. I have all the usual mechanics tools and do most everything myself in my own garage, but this project might be too much for me to tackle alone without farming out.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Unless it was significantly cheaper than market value for a running car in good condition, I'd probably pass.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If your not doing the work yourself its not worth your money this is a job for a DIY.

Send me his info this is right up my alley.

jp

and its a head gasket thats a easy repair. LT5s are not hard to work on

Get notified of new replies

To LT-5 blown head gasket means scrap motor?

Quick Reply: LT-5 blown head gasket means scrap motor?