C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

FS: 1957 Chevrolet 150 with LT5 / 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM
carbuff
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default FS: 1957 Chevrolet 150 with LT5 / 6-speed

Hopefully it's ok to post this here, while it's not a ZR-1, it's built around the ZR-1 drivetrain. I thought some of the fellow Corvette ZR-1 lovers would enjoy seeing this, and perhaps one of you may have an interest...

My family has a 1957 Chevrolet 150 that my father built that we are putting up for sale. My father passed away about two years ago, and we've decided that it's time to move forward and sell his remaining vehicles.

This car isn't a stock or a normal 150 by any stretch. This car was built by my father and I (mostly he, I helped with the bodywork/paint), and there are a lot of subtle details that are easily missed. The car was completed about 10 years ago and has been driven somewhere between 12 and 15k miles. It's home is in North Carolina, and it's been driven to Columbus, OH, Richmond, VA, and to Myrtle Beach, SC on several occasions. It is definitely road worthy.

The car was built on top of a Jim Meyer Racing full-frame setup. This included a Mustang II based IFS with adjustable height coilovers, sway bar, and rack and pinion steering. The rear of the car uses the Meyer 4-link setup with a 9" housing, coilovers, and swaybar there as well. The 9" center section is built within a nodular housing with (I believe) 3.55:1 gears and a posi differential. There's a panhard bar for lateral location also.

The body was an excellent condition 150 sedan that was taken down to the metal before being straightened and sprayed. The car is a metallic silver and white, although I don't know the exact paint codes. I do have that information (can look it up if interested), and we still have some of the original paint left as well.

The engine came from a 1991 Corvette ZR1 with low mileage. In stock form, this engine was rated at 375HP. The ECU controlling this engine has an updated PROM which bumps the power, but the car has never been on a dyno for me to give an exact number. These engines were mostly aluminum and manufactured by Mercury Marine. Given the silver color of the car, my father decided to make this one stand out a little by painting the intake plenum and cylinder head covers Chevrolet engine orange. It definitely 'pops' when you open the hood.

The transmission in the car is the accompanying ZF 6-speed that came in the ZR1. It has a hydraulic clutch using GM components (bellhousing, PP, disc, throwout bearing, etc). The hydraulics are mounted to the frame under the driver's side floor to keep things as 'hidden' as possible. Also mounted there is the power brake booster and master cylinder which feed the 4-wheel disc brakes. The hydraulic plumbing was done with stainless tubing front to rear.

To go with the 'sleeper' theme of the car, original style 15" steel wheels and chrome center caps were used. When it's sitting at a show, if the hood's not open, it looks like a very well done 'stock style' 150.

More little details that are part of the 'sleeper' theme. The Black Widow / delete plates were used to cover the heater box opening, the radio, and other deletes on the car. However, the car has full modern amenities like air conditioning, cruise control, and a 6-disc CD changer and stereo. The AC controls are hidden on a plate behind the glove box door. The heater / firewall delete panel was used to allow access to the relays and controls necessary to run the LT5. It's an incredibly clean underhood area. Keen observers will note the slight modifications to the firewall to allow the engine/transmission to sit in the appropriate location, including the delete panel. A lot of time was spent getting that right.

Other details... The car has a Rock Valley stainless steel tank with in-tank pump feeding the LT5. It has a trunk mounted Optima battery to power the car. It has an aftermarket set of gauges (I don't know the manufacturer) that you can see in the pictures also. The front doors have power windows installed. The car utilizes a chambered exhaust, which makes it fun to start up at a show.

The interior of the car is basically stock and was all done at the time of the completion of the car. It's incredibly clean, and everything is hidden away. The steering wheel is the one standout item, it was from a C3 Corvette, I believe.

I have a folder with most of the receipts and manuals for various items used on the car. I will provide this to whomever buys the car. (my father was very detail oriented and kept just about everything as he built the car)

I'm not sure what else to say about the car. The pictures can do the best job of showing the details. This car won numerous awards at the various shows that it attended and always generated lots of conversation. It's just time for it to find a new home...

Pictures of the car are available at (not the best "selling" pictures, but pictures of the various steps of the build):

1957 Chevrolet 150 LT5 / 6-speed

The car is currently located in Winston-Salem, NC. I am located in Texas. However, my uncle, who spent a great deal of time at the shows with this car and my father, is taking care of the car and would be glad to discuss it in detail with anyone who has a serious interest. Feel free to contact me via PM or email for contact information for either of us.

The car is priced at $79,000 obo.

Enjoy the pictures, and thanx for reading!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
cadillac531
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good looking car. I have a 56 sedan delivery I'm going to dropping an LT5 in.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Wow that's a beauty!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

David
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM
carbuff
Racer

My pleasure. It really is a gorgeous car in person!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Oh my... SWEET!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 AM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by .....
Wow that's a beauty!!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Looks great. Why not bring it to Bowling Green for the
Gathering? That would be cool.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Very cool!!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Heck of a nice setup there
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
carbuff
Racer

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Looks great. Why not bring it to Bowling Green for the
Gathering? That would be cool.
Unfortunately I live in Texas, so getting up to NC to take a trip and show the car is out for me. I keep thinking about bringing the car down here, but I don't have a good place to store and protect it right now. So it's safest up there for now...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff
My family has a 1957 Chevrolet 150 that my father built that we are putting up for sale.

[]
This Car is amazing. I think with the time you and your father spent on this project you will regret having sold this car in the future. I am sure there are lots of great memories from this project.

to your father and this great car.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

A wolf in sheep's clothing
Only ZR-1 owners would recognize the sound of that LT5
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Wow. Beautiful, unique car.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 PM
carbuff
Racer

Thanx guys... It's not my first choice to sell it, but I'm not in a good location to be able to garage and care for it as I would want to. So I want it to find a great new home!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

The car is absolutely stunning and I love that you used a 150 in the build.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 PM
carbuff
Racer

Part of the point was to create a sleeper look, thus the 150 base for the car. Dad was a fan of the 'Black Widow' style cars and used several of those parts in the creation of this one.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Iliad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! A ZR-1 with a back seat!!! Beautiful classic Chevy; very ambitious project using a ZR-1 motor.

Get notified of new replies

To FS: 1957 Chevrolet 150 with LT5 / 6-speed

Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say, your Dad had the very best of taste. That's one classy Chevy. It takes a lot of discipline to build a car like that, fresh, understated, and Wicked.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 PM
appelen
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great car, what a sleeper ,hope it finds a good home, good to see a shoebox with a real engine, working on a 55 150 with an LT5.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff
Unfortunately I live in Texas, so getting up to NC to take a trip and show the car is out for me. I keep thinking about bringing the car down here, but I don't have a good place to store and protect it right now. So it's safest up there for now...
There's this private barn near New Braunfels ... just leave the keys, it'll be in good hands.

Quick Reply: FS: 1957 Chevrolet 150 with LT5 / 6-speed