C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Is there any interest in a group buy for Machined Billet Aluminum alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Is there any interest in a group buy for Machined Billet Aluminum alternator?

I inquired about a billet alternator after seeing a few on Ebay from this seller. They have good feedback and seem to be reputable enough to trust:

http://stores.ebay.com/Quality-Power

"The photos shown are for the LT5, just one like it as an example"

He said: "The lowest amperage we provide in our billet series is 150 amp max and 120 amp at idle. The cost for that billet alternator with the mounting that matches your CS144 would be $450.00. It would then be a direct bolt-in and plug-in installation. The case would be natural machined billet aluminum. If you are interested in a polished or chrome finish you would add $60.00. We have our CNC vendor working to produce the correct front housing already. We are having a run of 5 front housings cut. If you think that you can get more people, we could probably get the price cut by about $50.00 each. Our CNC guy is current going to write the program for cutting the plates. He will most likely be running them at the end of next week. Let us know if you want to get together a larger order and we can inform him. The more units he can cut from the same stock, the less expensive each one is. We do know exactly what you need for the CS-144 and our information confirms that is the right alternator for your application. We have already done the same for the Delco 10SI, CS-130, AD-244 and the Ford 1G and 3G. The ones we will produce for your application will match the factory mount exactly."

This is a Custom Billet Aluminum Case GM 150 Amp 1-wire alternator.

The newest technology is now available to retrofit your older GM vehicle. This custom case houses a late model Nippondenso alternator that puts out 150 amp max and an amazing 120 amp at idle. It uses a 6 phase stator (as opposed to the 3 phase found on earlier models) to induce more energy.
The only wiring required is to hookup the battery charge cable (1-wire) to the side output post on the alternator. This is the easiest installation possible!

Is anyone interested in this? It is a bit pricey, but I'm not sure what is involved in building an alternator like this. So it seems it would be about $400 depending on how many and free shipping to those of you in the US with UPS service. Please share your thoughts.

Warranties

Alternators and starters are covered by a 1 year warranty. Odyssey batteries are warranted for 2 year, 3 year, or 4 years depending on the part number. See individual battery listing for actual warranty length. All other merchandise carries a 90-day warranty. The warranty starts from the date of purchase. Paint and chrome of any manufacture is subject to chips or discoloration when exposed to heat. For this reason, defects in the finish are limited to the time of installation. Any claim must be made prior to installation. Please note that products to be used on vehicles that will run at high RPM (above 6,000 RPM) will not be warranted and may require special components to make them suitable. Please let us know in advance of these conditions so that we can help provide the proper product. Warranties must be returned to Quality Power for repair/replacement of the merchandise at our option. Contact Quality Power to request a Return Merchandise Authorization number (RMA) prior to returning a product. Quality Power does not assume responsibility for loss of use of the vehicle, loss of items, towing, lodging, rental vehicle, or other inconvenience or incidental or consequential damages. This warranty does not apply, if in the sole judgment of Quality Power Auto Inc., the product has been damaged due to accident, improper installation, adjustment, wiring neglect, misuse or application for which it is not designed or altered in any way so as to affect adversely its reliability and performance.
Claims for warranty must be made through Quality Power by contacting us through the following channels:

Quality Power
31510 Yucaipa Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA 92399
(909) 794-1600
Qualitypower@aol.com

The following identify some of the conditions that are not covered by this specific warranty:

Alternator conditions:

· Bearing failure caused by loose or over tightened belts. Alternators returned for warranty must include pulley. If pulley is shiny, shaft is blue, or pulley is blue form heat, no warranty is allowed.
· Threads stripped on the output (B+) or ground terminals (B-)
· Output (B+) (B-) terminals burnt off or discolored from loose connections.
· Rotor shaft threads damaged.
· Broken brushes and/or brush holder due to attempts to re-clock alternator.
· Alternator housing damaged due to poor or loose mounting.
· Alternator hooked up or batteries installed with wrong polarity.
· Failure as a result of improper wiring (size and hook up.)
· Alternator installed in non-recommended applications such as racing applications.
· Installation of an alternator that is not hot rated at a minimum of 30 amps above full vehicle load.
· ANY ONE, OR ALL OF THE PHASES BURNT OUT OF STATOR
· ANY ONE, OR ALL THE DIODES BLOWN OR DAMAGED.
· Damage to the alternator due to the battery not being in the system with the engine running, or the battery cable being removed from the battery with the engine running.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Fully Vetted
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Def interested depending on final price.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What about the warranty?

"*Please note that products to be used on vehicles that will run at high RPM (above 6,000*RPM) will not be warranted and may require special components to make them suitable. Please let us know in advance of these conditions so that we can help provide the proper product.*"

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
I inquired about a billet alternator after seeing a few on Ebay from this seller. They have good feedback and seem to be reputable enough to trust:

http://stores.ebay.com/Quality-Power

"The photos shown are for the LT5, just one like it as an example"

He said: "The lowest amperage we provide in our billet series is 150 amp max and 120 amp at idle. The cost for that billet alternator with the mounting that matches your CS144 would be $450.00. It would then be a direct bolt-in and plug-in installation. The case would be natural machined billet aluminum. If you are interested in a polished or chrome finish you would add $60.00. We have our CNC vendor working to produce the correct front housing already. We are having a run of 5 front housings cut. If you think that you can get more people, we could probably get the price cut by about $50.00 each. Our CNC guy is current going to write the program for cutting the plates. He will most likely be running them at the end of next week. Let us know if you want to get together a larger order and we can inform him. The more units he can cut from the same stock, the less expensive each one is. We do know exactly what you need for the CS-144 and our information confirms that is the right alternator for your application. We have already done the same for the Delco 10SI, CS-130, AD-244 and the Ford 1G and 3G. The ones we will produce for your application will match the factory mount exactly."

This is a Custom Billet Aluminum Case GM 150 Amp 1-wire alternator.

The newest technology is now available to retrofit your older GM vehicle. This custom case houses a late model Nippondenso alternator that puts out 150 amp max and an amazing 120 amp at idle. It uses a 6 phase stator (as opposed to the 3 phase found on earlier models) to induce more energy.
The only wiring required is to hookup the battery charge cable (1-wire) to the side output post on the alternator. This is the easiest installation possible!

Is anyone interested in this? It is a bit pricey, but I'm not sure what is involved in building an alternator like this. So it seems it would be about $400 depending on how many and free shipping to those of you in the US with UPS service. Please share your thoughts.

Warranties

Alternators and starters are covered by a 1 year warranty. Odyssey batteries are warranted for 2 year, 3 year, or 4 years depending on the part number. See individual battery listing for actual warranty length. All other merchandise carries a 90-day warranty. The warranty starts from the date of purchase. Paint and chrome of any manufacture is subject to chips or discoloration when exposed to heat. For this reason, defects in the finish are limited to the time of installation. Any claim must be made prior to installation. Please note that products to be used on vehicles that will run at high RPM (above 6,000 RPM) will not be warranted and may require special components to make them suitable. Please let us know in advance of these conditions so that we can help provide the proper product. Warranties must be returned to Quality Power for repair/replacement of the merchandise at our option. Contact Quality Power to request a Return Merchandise Authorization number (RMA) prior to returning a product. Quality Power does not assume responsibility for loss of use of the vehicle, loss of items, towing, lodging, rental vehicle, or other inconvenience or incidental or consequential damages. This warranty does not apply, if in the sole judgment of Quality Power Auto Inc., the product has been damaged due to accident, improper installation, adjustment, wiring neglect, misuse or application for which it is not designed or altered in any way so as to affect adversely its reliability and performance.
Claims for warranty must be made through Quality Power by contacting us through the following channels:

Quality Power
31510 Yucaipa Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA 92399
(909) 794-1600
Qualitypower@aol.com

The following identify some of the conditions that are not covered by this specific warranty:

Alternator conditions:

· Bearing failure caused by loose or over tightened belts. Alternators returned for warranty must include pulley. If pulley is shiny, shaft is blue, or pulley is blue form heat, no warranty is allowed.
· Threads stripped on the output (B+) or ground terminals (B-)
· Output (B+) (B-) terminals burnt off or discolored from loose connections.
· Rotor shaft threads damaged.
· Broken brushes and/or brush holder due to attempts to re-clock alternator.
· Alternator housing damaged due to poor or loose mounting.
· Alternator hooked up or batteries installed with wrong polarity.
· Failure as a result of improper wiring (size and hook up.)
· Alternator installed in non-recommended applications such as racing applications.
· Installation of an alternator that is not hot rated at a minimum of 30 amps above full vehicle load.
· ANY ONE, OR ALL OF THE PHASES BURNT OUT OF STATOR
· ANY ONE, OR ALL THE DIODES BLOWN OR DAMAGED.
· Damage to the alternator due to the battery not being in the system with the engine running, or the battery cable being removed from the battery with the engine running.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fully Vetted
Okay, thanks for your reply and will keep you posted.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:36 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by pushrod-v8
What about the warranty?

"*Please note that products to be used on vehicles that will run at high RPM (above 6,000*RPM) will not be warranted and may require special components to make them suitable. Please let us know in advance of these conditions so that we can help provide the proper product.*"
I was asked about RPM and told him up to 8,000 RPM so thanks for the question and I will confirm the build for it.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm assuming the alternator is different on the lt5? I would be interested in one for my LT4 if they can build it for high rpm (8500). Mikegillvt@hotmail.com
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Fully Vetted
Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
I'm assuming the alternator is different on the lt5? I would be interested in one for my LT4 if they can build it for high rpm (8500). Mikegillvt@hotmail.com
I'm interested as well.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM
vhabrxmanded
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default billet aluminum alternator

I would be more than interested. I would definitely purchase this item - if it is a direct fit for my 1995 ZR-1.
Please reply to my email address - www.david.mandel@va.gov
David Mandel
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Mike,

I would contact them directly as they might already have your alternator. I just have to take the time to provide them the specs they are asking for. Here is the email traffic about the rpm and warranty. They are very responsive with same day replies:

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:49 AM
To: hawaiizr1@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Alternator for 1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, LT5 motor, Eng code J, custom billet...

It is definitely an issue for the life of the alternator. Anytime you are going to be using an engine that has specs outside the factory parameters you need to consider the effects on the other components. That is why there are underdrive pulleys for the crankshaft and many different size pulleys for alternators. It is best to supply your information, crank pulley diameter, idle RPM, max engine RPM, to us so we can calculate the alternator speed to make sure that you will not over rev the unit. The Denso alternators we are using can handle up to 21,000 rotor speed.

Quality Power
31510 Yucaipa Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA 92399
(909) 794-1600
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

All,

I'm tallying up numbers from this forum and the ZR-1 Registry to see if they will be able to give the $50 discount or more. I will post the results. Much more interest here than from the Registry side. If not, I know they are making at least five of these alternators for our application. I want to check fitment and all first and will post updates.

Craig
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

400 is a good price for that

Having a custom built for another car non billet and is well over that amount.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Sent them an email
Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Craig, I would be down with one
Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
400 is a good price for that

Having a custom built for another car non billet and is well over that amount.
Okay, thanks and that is good to know.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
Hi Craig, I would be down with one
Okay, thanks Ricky and noted. I am going to provide the crank pulley diameter and other specs to them today.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Alternator Pulley Diameter Calculations

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
Okay, thanks Ricky and noted. I am going to provide the crank pulley diameter and other specs to them today.
I am assuming you want diameter of belt surface on Harmonic Balancer if you are trying to convert rpm to surpentine belt speed?

If this assumption is correct......the Harmonic Balancer diameter is 7-1/8 inch to outer lip (90' ZR1). The surpentine belt riding surface is about 1/8 in less radius so surpentine belt riding surface diameter would be 6-7/8 inches (6.875 inches).

If the alternator puts out 150 amp max and 120 amp at idle....the question is at what rpms is alternator spinning when the engine is idling at 850 rpm with a surpentine belt speed of 18,349 inches per minute. (6.875 inches x 3.14) in per rev x 850 rpm = 18,349 inches per minute.

My alternator pully is about 68mm (2.7 inches) diameter (I just bought two new alternator pulleys yesturday).

At a Surpentine Belt speed (idle) of 18,349 inches per minute, that alternator would be spinning at (18,349 inches per minute)/(2.7 inches x3.14) = 2,164 rpm (alternator spin rate) at idle (engine idle speed 850 rpm).

Or...just divide the Harmonic Balancer Diameter by the Alternator Pulley Diameter and multiply by engine idle speed to get Alternator Idle speed.

So the question might be at what Alternator idle speed the alternator still puts out the current needed to keep up with ZR1 current usage at idle (assuming you are not sitting there with head lights on at idle). Size that alternator pulley accoringly and then see what the maximum alternator rpm might be at 7,000 rpm engine speed (making sure you are not overspinning the alternator). If you are overspinning the alternator and do that often, get a larger alternator pulley and suffer the consequences when sitting at a stop light with lights on loosing battery charge as your alternator cannot keep up with current load.

After figuring out the alternator pulley size required, get a surpentine belt length accordingly.

LED reduces battery current load related to Alternator Pulley Diameter

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-11-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:43 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dynomite
I am assuming you want diameter of belt surface on Harmonic Balancer if you are trying to convert rpm to surpentine belt speed?

If this assumption is correct......the Harmonic Balancer diameter is 7-1/8 inch to outer lip (90' ZR1). The surpentine belt riding surface is about 1/8 in less radius so surpentine belt riding surface diameter would be 6-7/8 inches (6.875 inches).

If the alternator puts out 150 amp max and 120 amp at idle....the question is at what rpms is alternator spinning when the engine is idling at 850 rpm with a surpentine belt speed of 18,349 inches per minute. (6.875 inches x 3.14) in per rev x 850 rpm = 18,349 inches per minute.

My alternator pully is about 68mm (2.7 inches) diameter (I just bought two new alternator pulleys yesturday).

At a Surpentine Belt speed (idle) of 18,349 inches per minute, that alternator would be spinning at (18,349 inches per minute)/(2.7 inches x3.14) = 2,164 rpm (alternator spin rate) at idle (engine idle speed 850 rpm).

Or...just divide the Harmonic Balancer Diameter by the Alternator Pulley Diameter and multiply by engine idle speed to get Alternator Idle speed.

So the question might be at what Alternator idle speed the alternator still puts out the current needed to keep up with ZR1 current usage at idle (assuming you are not sitting there with head lights on at idle). Size that alternator pulley accoringly and then see what the maximum alternator rpm might be at 7,000 rpm engine speed (making sure you are not overspinning the alternator). If you are overspinning the alternator and do that often, get a larger alternator pulley and suffer the consequences when sitting at a stop light with lights on loosing battery charge as your alternator cannot keep up with current load.

After figuring out the alternator pulley size required, get a surpentine belt length accordingly.

LED reduces battery current load related to Alternator Pulley Diameter
Cliff,

Thanks for the pulley diameter so I don't have to go to the garage and do measurements. I'll ask your questions to the manufacturer, because like Sweet Brown says, "I ain't got time for that": http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

I will provide them the stock specs with max rpm of our motor (that most would take it to) and also let them know about the difference for the folks with underdrive pulleys like you and I have. I don't have no issues with a stock alternator, but I do have a battery relocation with Odessey PC925MJT (26 lb) that has been trouble free for the past year and a half (did not have the same luck with the Braille B3121 (21 lb).

With the Randy Woods under drive pulleys, he provided the serpentine belt and all I did was keep the number and will replace with same or cross-reference to Goodyear, etc. for future belts.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there any interest in a group buy for Machined Billet Aluminum alternator?

Quick Reply: Is there any interest in a group buy for Machined Billet Aluminum alternator?