C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

4.10 gear DIY options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4.10 gear DIY options?

I have repaired/maintained everything on my 91 ZR-1 and now I want to do some performance modifications. I just did brakes and now I want to do something with the power that isn't too crazy and relatively cheap.

I think the best power increase to dollar value will be a R+P gear change, and people typically say they like the 4.10 variety. Besides, you also end up with rebuilt part of the car as an added bonus, and I can install a differential drain while i'm at it.

Corvette Central, for instance, sells ready installed differentials, but at $1500 dollars? Is it cheaper to buy gear set and rebuild kit for the Dana 44? I did front and rear on my 4Runner after I installed 33" tires. and it was about $800 for parts and labor minus the differential remove/install, so I think this is a little high. Does the limited slip require rework as well? That is the only thing I can think of that is essentially different, as my 4Runner had an open in front and locker in the rear.

Finally, is there a write-up on installing on of those speedo recalibration units? Did a search here and on internet but couldn't find anything on our cars. I was thinking of getting a male and female plugs like are on some of the electrical component testers and doing some splicing, and apparently there are power wires in the aft section of the center console. Seems easier and cheaper than changing the transmission output shaft gears.

Thanks all.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gears are less than 300.00

Quick Reply: 4.10 gear DIY options?