C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Getting into a ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Etz2001sn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting into a ZR-1

All,

i haven't been on the forum much lately, but i'm considering getting into a C4 ZR-1.

i have had a C5Z06 and currently own a C6Z06, but as a kid i always wanted a C4 ZR-1.

Im concerned about reliability and parts availability for C4Z and am wondering if i should just go for an LT4 car instead as the parts are easier for the LTX engines?

What is the general consensus on the LT5? Does the forum have a buyers guide for c4Z's?

This interest was rekindled by seeing a Teal Zr-1 last night (but it had greenwood ground effects on it) which i wouldn't want.

I'm not looking for any inappropriate or troll comments. There is enough of that on the C6Z forums regarding self destructing LS7's how the world is over the minute you buy one.

Last edited by Etz2001sn; 10-10-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

howdy I invite you over to the ZR-1 registry as well. Lots of advise and answers over there as well.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/index.php

LT5 parts are available. The ZR-1 is 90% a C4 with a beautiful and fun motor. As a daily driver I enjoy it!!!! A lot of us hang out over here as well. Hold out for the car you want as there is always another out there.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:13 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

I've had C2, C3, C4, C5, and C6's. I bought a 95 ZR-1 about 3 years ago to daily drive back and forth to work for my last years before I retired.

I had an 84 Vette that I daily drove but it was an automatic and boring.
I drove the 95 every day the weather was decent out. I also had a 2006 Vette that I mostly pleasure drove on weekends. After driving the ZR-1 to work for a year or so I sold my C6 and bought another ZR-1.

I now have two Zs a 91 and a 95. The 95 is mostly stock the 91 is a 368 CI. with all the goodies.

I love these C4 Zs and they have been as dependable as any 20 something year old car.

I say GO FOR IT.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:46 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The engine durability is above average (it is probably the only really high quality part on the entire car outside of maybe the ZF transmission)- it is the rest of the car you need to look at carefully. Just like other generations of Corvette, C4's have their own high cost areas which really add up if the previous owner didn't care for it. If anything I would say the ZR-1 specific body panels are are bigger worry to me than the engine ever will be. Just don't get in a collision...
Old 10-10-2014, 02:51 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest concern that you're going to have is chasing down the occasional vacuum leak...on top of the standard C4 crap.

A stock engined zr-1 set a host of world endurance records which it held for years.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:28 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

No more or less problematic than any other C-4 except that the LT-5 is about as bullet proof as they come.
We all are tired of hearing the "no parts" stuff.
Like all older Vettes, it is either avaialble or soon will be if needed.
Like others, sold my C-5.
Won't be selling the ZR-1.
Have had it for 18 years.
By now I would have noticed a problem if there was one.
If it is what you always wanted, why wouldn't you buy one?
I can't think of a single valid reason.
Good Luck, and hope to hear of your acquisition soon!

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER
Old 10-10-2014, 08:32 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've owned three ZR-1's and my only regret is selling the first two.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Get Into a ZR-1 and have some Fun

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
No more or less problematic than any other C-4 except that the LT-5 is about as bullet proof as they come.
We all are tired of hearing the "no parts" stuff.
Like all older Vettes, it is either avaialble or soon will be if needed.
Like others, sold my C-5.
Won't be selling the ZR-1.
Have had it for 18 years.
By now I would have noticed a problem if there was one.
If it is what you always wanted, why wouldn't you buy one?
I can't think of a single valid reason.
Good Luck, and hope to hear of your acquisition soon!

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER
I completely concur in general and specifically on the No Parts Stuff. I can get anything I need from Jerry's Gaskets or Marc Haibeck Automotive Technology or even Summit Racing to rebuild/modify the LT5 in two days shipped to my door.

Originally Posted by USAZR1
I've owned three ZR-1's and my only regret is selling the first two.
I own one 91'ZR-1 and three 90' ZR-1s

The LT5 is extremely fun to work on, Extremely Reliable, and relatively simple things required to Restore to better than original operational condition.

Oh...and did I say the technical information regarding maintaining, rebuilding, modifying the LT5 is readily available here and elsewhere

Of course I do a little bit of modifications here and there to get the LT5 in better than original operational condition

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:53 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

My ZR-1 is a little racey turning 10.5 second 1/4 mile times; in the 2 years I have owned it, I have put 8k on the clock, and the only thing I have done is change the oil and put gas in it.....serius. It got 23 MPG on the 1200 mile round trip to Bloomington. It has never failed to start, or run perfect (well ok it dies once in a while due to the cams with the A/c on)

....still is mindboggling to me that a car with this performance can be this "docile"

Last edited by WydGlydJim; 10-11-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Etz2001sn
Advanced

I appreciate the guidance from everyone.

I went back and took a look at the teal ZR-1 i mentioned previously today. (Unfortunately it has a greenwood ground effects kit on it which is a deal breaker). Needless to say, now i want one. I don't care for the new zr1s, but i've always been into the real ones.

When i was a kid (mid to late 90s) i had ZR-1 posters, zr-1 model kits, zr-1 die cast cars, a zr-1 slot car, everything was zr-1. By the time i got to the point where i could drive, i went with the fbodies because they were cheaper. I bought the C5Z because it was a good value at the time, and i bought the C6Z because i felt they'd never make a big cube corvette again.

I prefer the look of the 91-95 cars over the 90. My question is, is there a year that's necessarily better than the rest (besides the HP jump later on)?

Heres what i'd like to buy, and i'd like honest opinion on what i should look to spend:

~60,000 miles or less
driver quality (average condition)
stock or close to stock
indifferent about ext/interior color
clean title

Let me know what you think.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:05 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Etz2001sn
I appreciate the guidance from everyone.

I went back and took a look at the teal ZR-1 i mentioned previously today. (Unfortunately it has a greenwood ground effects kit on it which is a deal breaker). Needless to say, now i want one. I don't care for the new zr1s, but i've always been into the real ones.

When i was a kid (mid to late 90s) i had ZR-1 posters, zr-1 model kits, zr-1 die cast cars, a zr-1 slot car, everything was zr-1. By the time i got to the point where i could drive, i went with the fbodies because they were cheaper. I bought the C5Z because it was a good value at the time, and i bought the C6Z because i felt they'd never make a big cube corvette again.

I prefer the look of the 91-95 cars over the 90. My question is, is there a year that's necessarily better than the rest (besides the HP jump later on)?

Heres what i'd like to buy, and i'd like honest opinion on what i should look to spend:

~60,000 miles or less
driver quality (average condition)
stock or close to stock
indifferent about ext/interior color
clean title

Let me know what you think.
Don't be afraid to check ebay, along with the forums for your ZR-1.
I was ready to buy one on the other forum, but the first person in line made the purchase. I then went looking on ebay, and found a Black 94 that was 15 minutes from my house. How lucky was that??? Went to look at the Z and have now owned this great machine for the last 5+ months.
Mine had 59,000 + miles, I would say VGC, and just runs great. As far as $$$ spent, you can find them for $15-$25K and higher depending on condition and mileage.
IMO, the 90-95 ZR-1 is the buy of the decade, period!!!
I don't think that you will see the prices go lower than what they are now. They would only stay the same or go up in value. It doesn't bother me either way, as it was not purchased as an investment, but rather to drive and enjoy as I feel Corvettes are meant to be. It is not my "dd", as I have my 82 CFI for that. But like yourself I always wanted a ZR-1 and feel very fortunate to own one today.
Check out the registry as "Goldcylon" mentioned in his post, there is a wealth of info there and a great group of people to be associated with as with this forum also.
Good luck in your hunt, they are out there, you just have to decide which one you like........... Tom
Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Love my ZR-1's I've had 3 over the past 12 years. My 91 was the 1st bought it with 9k miles in 02 now has 53k miles and a few mods never had any issues with it. This year I just sold my 04 & 96 LT4 to buy my Yellow 93.

Had a 90 for a few years as a DD wish I had kept it.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 AM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the zr-1, it is an amazing car in every way. I currently have a c5 z06 and my dad has a zr-1. He paid 16,250 for his 91 black/red interior 36k miles. It was for sale a long time. When i sold my first GTO, I thought I would buy it and it sat for a while on autotrader. After a couple months and my dad selling his midyear, he decided to buy it (local deal) with full documentation. I think 16,250 was a great deal but he needs to get the injectors done. You will see most "driven" zr-1's have had the work done. My dad doesn't care too much though, he barely drives the car at all. He just always wanted one since it first came out.

I have been forced to daily drive his z a few times when my car was down or i didn't have a car (I am in school and live at home).

I will say, don't compare it too much to your c5z or c6z.

I own a c5z and it is my ultimate car. I can understand your drive for a zr-1 from when you were young. I was in 5th grade when the c5z was released and I was convinced I would have one.

The c5z vs. c4zr-1 is night and day to me. The c5z feels much more modern. I love the wide body of the c6. With that being said, I would take a c5z + c4zr-1 over a nice c6z06. I have also driven a c6z and it is night and day as far as performance.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 PM
91 monster Z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What is your price range on the Z of your dreams
Old 10-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I don't care for the new zr1s, but i've always been into the real ones.
Nothing to contribute here, other than to say that ^THAT^ is the best sentence I've read on here in a while. Love it!
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 PM
1cubano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 94 black/black with 18ooo miles on it , is for sale
p m me for pic or info on the car
Old 10-16-2014, 10:07 PM
back4more1984
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1990 steel blue ZR-1 for sale. Practically giving it away at $12,500. Info is on this thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...les-on-it.html

Get notified of new replies

To Getting into a ZR-1

Old 12-18-2014, 11:51 PM
FL KEYS ON
Racer

All,

i haven't been on the forum much lately, but i'm considering getting into a C4 ZR-1.

i have had a C5Z06 and currently own a C6Z06, but as a kid i always wanted a C4 ZR-1.

Im concerned about reliability and parts availability for C4Z and am wondering if i should just go for an LT4 car instead as the parts are easier for the LTX engines?

What is the general consensus on the LT5? Does the forum have a buyers guide for c4Z's?

This interest was rekindled by seeing a Teal Zr-1 last night (but it had greenwood ground effects on it) which i wouldn't want.

I'm not looking for any inappropriate or troll comments. There is enough of that on the C6Z forums regarding self destructing LS7's how the world is over the minute you buy one.

Hey how did this work out? Did you find a ZR-1?

This ZR-1 is in addition to your C6Z, right?
Old 12-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The only issues with the 90-92 are the injectors are junk.Total cost for parts is about $1000.Plently of people here work on their own cars. Either like me they won't let anybody touch the car or they can't find anybody willing to touch the motor.As stated, pretty much alot of the stuff that fails is general C4 stuff.I was in the market for a new C4 back around 2007,bought my Z instead and never looked back.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 12-20-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
The only issues with the 90-92 are the injectors are junk.Total cost for parts is about $1000.Plently of people here work on their own cars. Either like me they won't let anybody touch the car or they can't find anybody willing to touch the motor.As stated, pretty much alot of the stuff that fails is general C4 stuff.I was in the market for a new C4 back around 2007,bought my Z instead and never looked back.

The LT5 engine is very unique......and everything suggested by Jeff is right on the money. The LT5 once maintained just a tad will run forever (a very long time without any issues). Usually you can find Real Deals on ZR-1s (90'-92's) simply because the injectors finally gave out or the secondary vacuum system developed some minor leaks.......or......the Starter Solenoid finally developed burnt points.

ALL relatively Simple and Straightforward Fixes. After that....just drive it. The ZR-1 is a Back Yard Mechanics Dream and extremely fun to drive

Quick Reply: Getting into a ZR-1