Secondary starter relay modification made easy. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Secondary starter relay modification made easy.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:45 AM   #1  
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member

Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.
Default Secondary starter relay modification made easy.

Here's is my starter relay install I did recently. This modification isn't my idea,I believe TCCRAB came up with the idea,DYNOMITE changed it a bit and I simplified the explanation for dummies like me. I made a bracket for the relay to mount it out of view but it can be mounted anywhere. The reason for this modification is the starter circuit in the 1990-1992 LT5 is a poor design that was revised in model year 1993-1995 from what I understand. The high amp relay can be found on EBay. Under the ECM you will find the main wiring bundle,the PURPLE 12 GAGE WIRE FROM THE STARTER is in this bundle. You will be splicing into this wire and running it into the relay. The spliced PURPLE WIRE coming from the starter,left side of wire will go to terminal 30 on the relay. The other end of the cut PURPLE WIRE,right side will go to terminal 87. Terminal 85 going to go to your 12 volt power at the junction block down by the battery and terminal 86 goes to ground. Terminal 87A is not used,even though this isn't hot I used a piece of shrink tubing on it to isolate it. I picked up my ground at the AIRBAG SENSOR right next to the battery. The wires I have leading from the PURPLE STARTER WIRES to the relay are about 14 inches long. I routed these wires under the ECM and out of view. Elsewhere on the internet you will see these instructions stating a PURPLE WIRE comes from the ECM for this installation,NOTHING IS SPLICED INTO THE ECM,it's the wire bundle under the ECM is where the PURPLE 12 gage starter wire can be found.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 05-13-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #2  
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member

Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.

Forgot a picture of the relay. All connections should be soldered and sealed shrink wrap. Depending on where you chose to mount the relay,In my case you would never know it was there unless I pointed it out.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 01-09-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #3  
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default The No Start Issue

See Item #2 for additional photos and information Electrical Ground Connections and Installing Starter Relay

Your installation/location of the Relay is a bit more professional than my installation
That is a very nice location and professionally installed Relay with bracket

In my case I just used black electrical tape wrapping the Relay and electrical splices (with Heat Shrink) into a single bundle under the ECM.

What is with the battery cloth cover? I may be missing something

I do have a Battery Disconnect Switch to conserve Battery Power when the ZR-1 is sitting for a while which may contribute to quick starting
The Battery Disconnect Switch and Having an Operational Secondary Full Power Switch

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-15-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #4  
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Battery insulator/blanket would have been an OE part on '92+ cars.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #5  
ZR-71
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

Great job in mounting and hiding the new relay Jeff
When I did it I just stuffed it under the ECM and protected it.

But I did this modification without cutting or splicing any wiring as seen in my post here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-splicing.html
ZR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #6  
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member

Hey Cliff. I saw a 1996 years ago that had this battery cover,liked it and did some digging and found it was stock OEM so I got a few. Been meaning to pick up one more before they are NLA.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Secondary starter relay modification made easy.
  •