C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

New Rubber Recommends

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Default New Rubber Recommends

All,

When I originally bought my 92, I replaced rubber w OEM C6Z06 wheels with 18/19 Nitto Invos. Overall I have really liked them but it's now been nearly 5 years and the rears are showing their wear. Went with Pete to get some gyros and so I had him drive the car to try out my latest tune and listen to the Z06 flapper valves with switch in Open/Close positions. Well naturally Pete got "on it"
and he was able to "beat" the ASR getting the car going sideways when he mashed the go pedal. It happened in first or second. Overall, the motor is running great w the latest tune but the tires are not holding. So I'm thinking of some new rubber even tho the fronts are still in very good shape.
I started looking at Michelins. Got a recommendation for the Super Sports.
Currently have 325s in back, but the Z06 guys are putting 345s on the rear. That could require a move from 275 > 285s in front in order to keep ABS happy.

What say you ZR-1 brethren?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:06 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I see that the Continental ExtremeContactDW's are offered in the GS/C6-Z sizes. I really like the DW's on my C6 coupe in 285's on the back. Super grippy, balanced well, and were like low $200's in that particular size. The Michelin's might be the best of the best for the oem application on the C6, but all that is out the window on an older platform with the newer wheel sizes. I would get the Conti's in a heartbeat after my positive experience on my '08. Not sure how any of these tires do in real winter temps, but it doesn't get below 40 here very often.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Mike,

I know there are ZR owners that have Michelins on their rides. Also waiting to hear on experience of owners w Mich and other brands on C4. Some Z06 guys like the Generals.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Mike,

I know there are ZR owners that have Michelins on their rides. Also waiting to hear on experience of owners w Mich and other brands on C4. Some Z06 guys like the Generals.
Hi Dom--
I have Michelin Pilot Sports on mine. They are vastly better than the Sumis I got with the car in 2012. I haven't tracked the car much but the ride is much improved and they don't show much wear after 10k miles. you are welcome to take a ride sometime if you are in my area but with the weather turning now it may have to wait for spring. With the temps in the 50 (for now), the engine makes great power but there isn't much traction. I do remember before I swapped the Sumis, I had very little traction in 1st, 2nd and some of 3rd after Marc's work, but with the Michelins I get good hook up in second and third. First is always a problem with that extra 100 hp. BTW, I bought mine at Costco. Not cheap but with installation and warranties the best local deal I found. About $1,700 for four as I recall.--Bob
Old 11-15-2015, 03:25 PM
ZR-1 RG8
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Dom, Here is the skinny on Five different tires.

Nitto NT05/NT05R.
Pros Sticky when dry, I drove the Ruby 800 miles from Houston to St.Louis @70 in a thunderstorm the entire way.
Cons. They get hard in 4 seasons just like Goodyears.

Nitto 555/555R.
Pros Sticky when dry, I drove the LPE 800 miles from Atlanta to Home Lets just leave the MPH out. Never drove on this tire in the rain.

Michelin PS2.
No Pros
Big money tires with no benefit in my opinion.
Horrible for the drag strip or track, Rubber is too soft and gets softer as you drive. Great wet tire.

Goodyear F1 Supercar
Junk

Toyo RA-1
Best in the group, Great dry traction, Good wet traction.
Con, Hard to find.

Just a thought, Jeptha bought 555R for both the front and rear. Stated the tires would be hard before they were worn.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys. I picked up a pair of 345x30x19 Super Sports. All the reviews I have read gush for this tire. Wet and dry, everyone seems to like it much better than the PS2. So I'll be looking for a pair of 285x18s but no rush unless I see a really good deal. Putting on the DRM trailing arm and tie rod brackets this winter.

Get notified of new replies

To New Rubber Recommends

Quick Reply: New Rubber Recommends