C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Purchasing a car from Active Military stationed abroad

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Default Purchasing a car from Active Military stationed abroad

I know we have some military guys in here, and ZR-1 owners have shipped cars cross country, or the Atlantic, and thought some you might have input on this. I have a friend who located a newer collectable sportscar (90s Japanese) on a well known used car listing site. From the email conversation with Car's owner, he is an active member of the US Armed Services stationed abroad. The owner states:

The deal will be done through Alliance Auto 3PL. They will manage the sale on my behalf and act as third party so we can be both protected. They will pick up the car from the storage unit, ship it to your address and transfer the ownership. It’s in excellent condition. They have the keys and power of attorney. Everything is set on my end.

Your payment will go directly to Alliance Auto 3PL, they will hold the funds in escrow until you receive and inspect the car. You will have a 5 days inspection period. If you like it, they will transfer the ownership to you and pay me; if not, you can reject the car. In this case Alliance Auto 3PL will refund your money and pick it up from you. The price includes shipping cost within US.

Has anyone used Alliance Auto or a similar system? The other thing that bothered me was the phone # on the listing site was the # of the owner, and the owner stated the listing site must have added the phone #.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:59 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Spend some time with Google looking for positives / negatives. Then find where the company is headquartered and call the Better Business Bureau. Do your due diligence just like you would investigating any other company.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by drcook
Spend some time with Google looking for positives / negatives. Then find where the company is headquartered and call the Better Business Bureau. Do your due diligence just like you would investigating any other company.
We have been trying the google route, the limited information was positive. Needless to say we are still skeptics.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:35 AM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by 93Polo
We have been trying the google route, the limited information was positive. Needless to say we are still skeptics.
I agree with you,
Good luck and keep us updated,
Caveat Emptor
Old 07-20-2016, 10:44 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I started a topic in OT as well but the discussion in here is little different He has elected to pass on the deal. Just doesn't feel right and seems scammers are using the story of active military.

Last edited by 93Polo; 07-20-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 AM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by 93Polo
I started a topic in OT as well but the discussion in here is little different He has elected to pass on the deal. Just doesn't feel right and seems scammers are using the story of active military.
Oh well, better safe than sorry, at least in a case like this
Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Um no!

Get notified of new replies

To Purchasing a car from Active Military stationed abroad

Quick Reply: Purchasing a car from Active Military stationed abroad