C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Which x pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:14 PM
medblueC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which x pipe?

I have the Borla Challenge system on my 91 ZR-1. I'm looking at replacing the resonator with an x pipe. Can anyone who has done this tell me which one you used and post pics if you can?
Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by medblueC4
I have the Borla Challenge system on my 91 ZR-1. I'm looking at replacing the resonator with an x pipe. Can anyone who has done this tell me which one you used and post pics if you can?
stainless works makes a nice setup but you'll need to splice it in
Old 04-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

The design of the one Stainless Works, and others that have have copied it, was developed by a Al Dashto and Pete Polatsidis and resulted in a substantial increase in RWHP over simply installing a crossover.

It differs from an "X" pipe in that the parallel tubes come together to "kiss" before dividing to return to parallel config.

Where the two parallel pipes come together, there is a window in the pipe walls that allows a certain amount of crossover, without actually altering the direction of the flow substantially. (Practically ALL of the FBI cars have those crossovers.)
Old 04-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

If u get the Stainless Xpipe, make sure they don't send u the one w the "cheese grater" baffling. Its used to cut down on resonance, but it does that by impeding air flow. Removing the resonator w bring more drone into the cabin. You can mitigate that in a few ways, but it will be louder.

Get notified of new replies

To Which x pipe?

Quick Reply: Which x pipe?