C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

WTB: SW Headers or Corsa exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 PM
OneFastC4
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTB: SW Headers or Corsa exhaust

Lookin to add some sound "enhancement" to my 91.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Lots of options - depending on what you like.

On the one end, B&B with headers, no cats sounds great, but drones - some versions more than others - first, second gen B&Bs are quite loud.

On the other end is the Corsa cat-back. They take advantage of cancellation techniques in the resonator and mufflers. They don't drone, but do have a (some call it) "tinny" sound.

And, various hybrid systems too:

One of the more popular is using either the NPP baffle "on demand" gates installed on one of the twin muffler outlets on each muffler
Another is to use a use a cross-pipe in place of the resonator fed through an electrically controlled dump gate to stock (or the like) muffler.

The headers, beit SW, Watson, or OXB (SW knock-offs) alone don't make a lot of sound difference; especially if the stock (or stock-like) cats are in place.

So, annoying racket to one is music to another. I would suggest you solicit some YouTube sound clips of various systems and see what you like. But, generally, the systems on the more aggressive cars tend to be a bit loud and/or have some drone. Systems that allow you to have both - what most would say is a good, throaty sound and performance, the combination of
  1. headers and the Corsa system, or
  2. headers, SW's X-pipe and Dynamax #17288s w/ an NPP gate on one of each muffler's twin outlets
  3. or #2, but instead of the 17288s and the NPP, use a stock muffler and an electric dump gate ahead of each muffler.

You'll have to decide what sounds best tho.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Good write up by Paul.

I just want to add... I have heard the "tinny" sound that Paul talks of.

My car has SW headers with the OEM length connection points (total bolt on system) with the SW high flow cats. This is connected to a Corsa exhaust with their "black diamond" tips.

The point in my post is that I have NO tinny sound whatsoever. It is a strong robust sounding exhaust with great sound quality. I get lots of compliments... especially from other drivers behind me when I get on it. NO drone either.

Having done the "510" package from Marc, my engine figuring in the 15% driveline loss is about 502HP. If I lost a few HP for cats and "shorty headers" compared to full length headers with not cats, I am not missing it.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 06-16-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: SW Headers or Corsa exhaust

Quick Reply: WTB: SW Headers or Corsa exhaust