C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Fuel Tank Capacity??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Fuel Tank Capacity??

I just filled my gas tank in my 1993 Convertible The gauge showed about 2-3 bars. This is lower than I usually go. Since I was so low I was curious about how much it would take to fill so I filled to the brim. Amount filled on the receipt was 20.013 gallons. My car did not stall or stumble ran fine. No low fuel lights were on. I even sat there for 5 min or so waiting on line. This is at the station I often use a BJs with 12 pumps or so.
Any one have any thoughts on this?? In the past with other cars including my '86 Coupe I never filled more than 15-16 gallons and never ran until the warning light came on. I always thought the warning would come on at 3 or so gallons which is close to where I thought I was at..
Barrier
Old 07-15-2017, 04:30 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Capacity is 20 gallons or 76 liters. When you convert liters to gallons you get 20.0177. So it looks like you were all but dry. I'd say something is wrong with the fuel gauge sender float in the tank. Have the fuel pumps ever been changed? Something might have gotten bent. Otherwise it may just be a malfunctioning sender.
H
Old 07-15-2017, 08:26 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by ccmano
I'd say something is wrong with the fuel gauge sender float in the tank....Otherwise it may just be a malfunctioning sender.
H
I just did this repair on my sender yesterday---Actually pretty easy. My internals were good but my sender needed cleaning. I carefully took it apart, cleaned the "scale" with WD40 and a cotton ball and gently sanded the contact with 400.

I bench tested everything and the gauge read dead on. It read correctly when I put it back together and seems to be good thus far.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Tank Capacity??

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Capacity??