C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

it's alive

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default it's alive

the LSV had a dirt nap this summer waiting for new rotors, brakes, and shocks

not really much of a $ investment, but times have been tough so I improvised. the old baer 13.5 rotors had about a 1/16 lip on them and were "dished" pretty bad. the "out gassing slots" were ground completely smooth so quite a bit of "meat" had expired in about 80k miles of pretty hard driving.

these are the original rotors and have seen MANY stops from Mr. Merrow and the current owner above ahem speeds we talk about out side of mexico

about an hour at VIR didn't do that pads any favors either, they had 1/32 of an inch of life left. So we ground that old hard metal down and got them flat again. Some new hawk pads, and cheapy delcos on the back, and some fresh 95 shocks that truly are MINT

the car stops, rides, and drives better, the ccws shined up to almost back to when scott sold em to me. One more winter on the current Michelins (tread, but old) and the car will get some new $R888s this spring

wow, the car has been off the road 6 weeks of PRIME diving, and the old 68 mutt and the little "shrink dink" vette (sky redline) took up the driving chores. some cool cars "tried" to step up and fill the void, but none really have the feel, the pipes, or the guts of the old LSV

It's so good to be driving the LSV again. 100k miles is right around the corner. I'm thinking either skyline, or a fall run at the MIR digs would be a fitting 100k milestone.

The dragon sounds good too,,, hmmmmmmmm............

Last edited by Rkreigh; 09-05-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Did you put an LS into a ZR-1? Sorry man, just don't know what you mean by LSV. Either way, post pics
Old 09-06-2017, 05:39 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

sorry LSV = Lingenfelter Special Vehicle

or as I misquoted Lingenfelter Super Vette!

390 LT5 with bifurcation ported intake, big valves, ported heads, stage 2 cams, ti rods, billet custom stroke crank (just a hair more than a 385, same 4 liners), ti retainers, stock springs, makes 508 at the tire

hopefully a hair more with a bit more tuning

I've removed secondaries and had both Haibeck and Demps breath some magic into the car. just got fresh injectors and new 95 shocks on the existing rippie coil over setup. funny thing is the new shocks seemed to have hiked up the rear about .4 inches I'm going to drive it more to see if it settles out, I love the ride, MUCH better.

I haven't hooked up the fx3 box (rippie also) and just set the shocks in the middle (sport) for now.

Also got new hawk pads, today they will get bedded in which is really fun! Accelerate, stop, repeat! I do 3 hard stops from progressively higher speeds, let them cool, repeat!
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Thanks for clearing it up!! Sounds like a killer Z
Old 09-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Hey Ron, have u installed the DRM trailing arm and rear camber brackets yet? Have them on my Z. Keeps rear end planted better.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:38 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Hey Ron, have u installed the DRM trailing arm and rear camber brackets yet? Have them on my Z. Keeps rear end planted better.
I tried them a while back but had problems so I "backed out" the change.

I think they work and do as advertised but I had a problem with the springs rubbing on the half shafts with them on.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I tried them a while back but had problems so I "backed out" the change.

I think they work and do as advertised but I had a problem with the springs rubbing on the half shafts with them on.
Yes I had same issue but was able to rotate coil spring to avoid the interference. I did both the camber and trailing arm brackets which actually helped in stuffing the 345/19s in back.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Yes I had same issue but was able to rotate coil spring to avoid the interference. I did both the camber and trailing arm brackets which actually helped in stuffing the 345/19s in back.
I like the vette brakes and products setup they have a machined "knuckle" that wraps around the factory spindle and uses another heim joint that one bolt sticking out supports the whole rear of the car and while I haven't hear of too many of them breaking, it's a definite liability and the vette brakes setup looks pretty nice indeed

the lsv is doing great "as is" but if I have to do it again and have some spare coin I'm looking to go with the better shocks next time

these 95 shocks from ricky are just TOO nice to even be old. I think he said they had 18k miles on them and they feel brand new.

the car rides better than ever. I still need to lower the back about another inch, and hook up the rippie DRM shock controller box

another trick I learned (a bit of effort) Set the shocks full stiff and unplug the box. Go up front and manually rotate the shocks to full soft and put the actuators back on

you now have a much nicer setup for the digs

Helps to pull the front roll bar too I saw my old friend Ron run 10.85 with an old 385 car that put down just a hair over 515 at the tire

way faster than me. When I investigated, it was all pretty easy suspension tweaks and that Ron driving better than this one

Last edited by Rkreigh; 09-11-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To it's alive

Quick Reply: it's alive