C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Clutch hydraulic hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:04 AM
90VetteZR-1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch hydraulic hose replacement

I'm replacing the master and slave cylinder due to slow leaking over a few months. I've decided to replace the hose because the fittings on the end are very difficult to turn, especially at the slave. My question is can I use the SS braided hose listed on mamotorworks.com? It says it is for 91-96 and my Z is a 90, but I can't think of why it would really matter. They have the oem style option, but the SS braided is more flexible, so I'd prefer that. Can someone enlighten me on any issues with the braided? Much thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:21 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 90VetteZR-1
I'm replacing the master and slave cylinder due to slow leaking over a few months. I've decided to replace the hose because the fittings on the end are very difficult to turn, especially at the slave. My question is can I use the SS braided hose listed on mamotorworks.com? It says it is for 91-96 and my Z is a 90, but I can't think of why it would really matter. They have the oem style option, but the SS braided is more flexible, so I'd prefer that. Can someone enlighten me on any issues with the braided? Much thanks in advance.
I believe the slave cylinder for a 90 is different from a 91-96,it has something to do with the placement of the bleeder valve on the 90 being in a different location.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Yes, the 90 has the bleeder on top of the slave and the 91-95 is on the bottom.

The 90 hydraulic line is a 3-section line, with a rubber sections between the two pre-bent steel sections. But, the 91-95 is rubber with a stainless steel braid cover.

The 91 slave cylinder will fit on the 90s, as well as the braided hydraulic line. So, unless you're concerned about NCRS points, I recommend the 91-95 slave and hydraulic line for general ease of installation.
*The current copy of the Heart of the Beast magazine is now available to ZR-1 Net Registry members which features an article detailing this very subject.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-29-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:02 PM
90VetteZR-1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Yes, the 90 has the bleeder on top of the slave and the 91-95 is on the bottom.

The 90 hydraulic line is a 3-section line, with a rubber sections between the two pre-bent steel sections. But, the 90-95 is rubber with a stainless steel braid cover.

The 91 slave cylinder will fit on the 90s, as well as the braided hydraulic line. So, unless you're concerned about NCRS points, I recommend the 91-95 slave and hydraulic line for general ease of installation.
*The current copy of the Heart of the Beast magazine is now available to ZR-1 Net Registry members which features an article detailing this very subject.
NCRS is far from mind. This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch hydraulic hose replacement

Quick Reply: Clutch hydraulic hose replacement