What to look out for when buying a Z? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What to look out for when buying a Z?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
1985 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 4,070
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Default What to look out for when buying a Z?

Hi guys. Hard to believe but I may be able to get into a Z in a couple of months. Iím going to check a 91 out over this weekend that is in storage. It has about 58k on the odometer. Just wondering what to keep an eye out for as far as problematic issues. I know the old saying of everything around the engine wearing out except the engine itself but want to make sure Iím thorough.

Iíve been through the valley on a 91 replacing coils, plug wires, gaskets, and vacuum lines but that was 12 years ago and I havenít seen an LT5 since then. Also, given everything checks out and for the mileage whatís a fair asking price by the seller? Theyíre asking $17,500. Red with saddle interior.
1985 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
RichS
CF Senior Member
 
RichS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: WilkesBarre PA
Posts: 6,974
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Default

There is a buyers guide on the registry. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Market...yersGuide.aspx

Someone may know the car your looking at on the forums.
RichS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Dynomite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,075
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette View Post
Hi guys. Hard to believe but I may be able to get into a Z in a couple of months. Iím going to check a 91 out over this weekend that is in storage. It has about 58k on the odometer. Just wondering what to keep an eye out for as far as problematic issues. I know the old saying of everything around the engine wearing out except the engine itself but want to make sure Iím thorough.

Iíve been through the valley on a 91 replacing coils, plug wires, gaskets, and vacuum lines but that was 12 years ago and I havenít seen an LT5 since then. Also, given everything checks out and for the mileage whatís a fair asking price by the seller? Theyíre asking $17,500. Red with saddle interior.
Where is this ZR-1?
Is it advertised?

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-28-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
1985 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 4,070
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
There is a buyers guide on the registry. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Market...yersGuide.aspx

Someone may know the car your looking at on the forums.
That's a great source. I've been over on the site but never made a login name.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Where is this ZR-1?
Is it advertised?

It's a small dealer, I just happened to stumble across an ebay ad while window shopping that happened to be local. Here's the link to the website with the car:

https://www.webbermotorsllc.com/chevrolet-corvette-zr1

Guy said it's in storage and for how long I'm not sure.
1985 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Dynomite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,075
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette View Post
That's a great source. I've been over on the site but never made a login name.

It's a small dealer, I just happened to stumble across an ebay ad while window shopping that happened to be local. Here's the link to the website with the car:

https://www.webbermotorsllc.com/chevrolet-corvette-zr1

Guy said it's in storage and for how long I'm not sure.
You seem familiar having been under the plenum and as you know.....injectors, vacuum, starter solenoid, valley drain, plugs and that be it......check my signature for 5 ZR1-LT5 restorations (three 90s, one 91, and one 95). And watch out because red with tan interior are my colors

The price seems more than reasonable from a dealer.
It has great oil pressure and a great charge rate when started cold looking at the dash (idle seems to be settling in perfectly from 1,000 down to 800 I would assume).
Looks like a very nice ZR-1

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-28-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 13,207
Thanked 263 Times in 229 Posts
Default

Car looks good, hope it all works out
1993C4LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
1985 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 4,070
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
You seem familiar having been under the plenum and as you know.....injectors, vacuum, starter solenoid, valley drain, plugs and that be it......check my signature for 5 ZR1-LT5 restorations (three 90s, one 91, and one 95). And watch out because red with tan interior are my colors

The price seems more than reasonable from a dealer.
Looks like a very nice ZR-1
Thanks, I know who to bug now when I get one. I'm trying not to get my hopes up just yet. But it's beautiful from the pictures. If this guy's available on Saturday to pull it out of storage to let me check it out, I'll see if I can take some additional pics.
1985 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
Paul Workman
CF Senior Member
 
Paul Workman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: "Below I-80" Illinois
Posts: 4,913
Thanked 128 Times in 121 Posts
Default

It's priced to sell. Might not dawdle too long! Injectors (alcohol issues) would be top of the list. Vacuum lines, which you know isn't a difficult nor terribly expensive item. Starter solenoid needs servicing soon. A fuel pressure leak down test is in order and fuel pressure check. The rest is C4 stuff which you know well.

Hope it works out for ya. You'd be a welcome member of the ZR1 NetRegistry club.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
ccmano
CF Senior Member
 
ccmano's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 1,092
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-zr-1-a.html

Welcome and Good luck, once you own one you’ll never go back.

H

Last edited by ccmano; 12-29-2017 at 08:33 PM.
ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #10
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member
 
Z51JEFF's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.
Posts: 9,594
Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Check the floor for cracks or holes.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
32valvesftw
CF Member
 
32valvesftw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Check the floor for cracks or holes.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #12
Paul Workman
CF Senior Member
 
Paul Workman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: "Below I-80" Illinois
Posts: 4,913
Thanked 128 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
How?
Cracks or holes of consequence are easily seen when looking from underneath the car. Looking especially near the "jacking points" indicated on the rocker panels.

If the the jack(s) used were either in the wrong location, or had a "cup" that was to wide to be contained on the frame's "pinch weld", the fiberglass floor pan can have cracks or even holes in it.

A fiberglass repair kit is all that is necessary to make repairs - no big deal, far as repairing goes. But, left undone, water could get in and damage the carpet in the foot well.

It's a "C4 thing". It's not a big deal to fix: not uncommon either, as a general rule.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
SurfnSun
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
 
SurfnSun's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 20,616
Thanked 79 Times in 65 Posts
Default

That car is sold....OP did you buy it?
SurfnSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member
 
Z51JEFF's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.
Posts: 9,594
Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
How?
Look underneath the car with a flashlight?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
1985 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 4,070
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSun View Post
That car is sold....OP did you buy it?
Unfortunately, it was not me. I got shot down by the credit union on a classic car loan a few Saturdays ago. Kinda sucks as I had a vehicle loan paid in full with them no problem prior but the classic car loans must be a little more strict. Plan was to get prequalified then go check it out. I didnít want to be a tire kicker wasting the guyís time to pull it out of storage. Good news is I donít have a whole lot I need to do before that ďnoĒ becomes a ďyesĒ in the next few months and I can get one. That one really stings as the price per the pictures was amazing.


I have another one Iím watching thatís been on sale for a while.....and Iím going to remain tight lipped about its as Iím a little paranoid to mention details as I suspect one of our very own may have scooped this one up after I posted it. Congrats to whoever got it: money talks and bullshit walks and in a couple of months Iíll give it another try.
1985 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #16
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member
 
Z51JEFF's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.
Posts: 9,594
Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette View Post
Unfortunately, it was not me. I got shot down by the credit union on a classic car loan a few Saturdays ago. Kinda sucks as I had a vehicle loan paid in full with them no problem prior but the classic car loans must be a little more strict. Plan was to get prequalified then go check it out. I didnít want to be a tire kicker wasting the guyís time to pull it out of storage. Good news is I donít have a whole lot I need to do before that ďnoĒ becomes a ďyesĒ in the next few months and I can get one. That one really stings as the price per the pictures was amazing.


I have another one Iím watching thatís been on sale for a while.....and Iím going to remain tight lipped about its as Iím a little paranoid to mention details as I suspect one of our very own may have scooped this one up after I posted it. Congrats to whoever got it: money talks and bullshit walks and in a couple of months Iíll give it another try.
Plenty of nice cars out there,with money in hand you will find a nice car.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #17
biggiefl
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Ellenton Florida
Posts: 304
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Try lightstream.com. They are part of Suntrust. They approved my ZR1 loan in less than an hour. Then again I only did about 2/3 of what I paid on loan which was about 50% of book value.
biggiefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #18
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
1985 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 4,070
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiefl View Post
Try lightstream.com. They are part of Suntrust. They approved my ZR1 loan in less than an hour. Then again I only did about 2/3 of what I paid on loan which was about 50% of book value.
I used to work with SunTrust. Their risk profile is moderate and theyíre very conservative on their lending guidelines. Which is amazing considering how many low to moderate income areas their branches are in, coupled with their ďnot enough loans being madeĒ attitude with their bankers. After being in sales with them for four years, Iíll tell you theyíre a tough nut to crack if asking for a loan. We pushed lightstream to people when it first came out as a quick and easy way to apply but people didnít understand their requests went to the same underwriters as if applying in branch. Iíll definitely give the credit union another go around but no more hard pulls on credit for a few months.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, guys! Iíll have one before 2018 is over.
1985 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #19
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 13,207
Thanked 263 Times in 229 Posts
Default

Hey man I give you props on not being a tire kicker. The world needs more people like that. You'll find the Z
1993C4LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #20
ccmano
CF Senior Member
 
ccmano's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 1,092
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I my opinion now is the time to buy. We may have reached the bottom of ZR-1 pricing. With a strong economy and more disposable income the generation that coveted these cars when they were new is now getting to the point where they can afford one. Give the limited number of these cars price should start to rise. We can only hope.
H
ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • What to look out for when buying a Z?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Anybody know anything about the '91 for sale in Tempe, AZ? ashowofhands C4 ZR-1 Discussion 10 11-20-2017 10:30 PM
    Engine Rebuild or Top End rebuild? Fredbird C4 Tech/Performance 18 10-30-2017 03:11 AM
    New Toy 91 convertible daustin C4 General Discussion 8 06-23-2017 08:16 AM
    1991 L98 stock exhaust system question skyhawk50 C4 Tech/Performance 4 12-07-2016 10:16 AM
    Help: CTSY Fuse Issue jaymitchell01 C4 General Discussion 23 01-19-2016 06:43 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: