C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Ebay ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:23 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,194 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ccmano
This is the car to get if you intend conservative but effective mods.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28744

If you bought a $16k car and did what has been done to this car it would cost you another $20-$25k to get it to this point.

Heck of a deal for $25k...
H
Agreed, cars that are a "deal" often aren't when it comes to ZR-1s. I passed on several "deals" almost all of them from dealers. If you don't know the history of the car and can't talk to the owner, it's really hard to tell what shape the car is really in. I'd much rather buy from a private party, especially one that has put a lot of time, effort and love into the car.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:28 PM
RossGN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks H, I agree. I think I will probably step up and look for a Z which will probably be in a higher price point. To purchase a $16k car, I would need only to sell my 71 Duster, which is planned anyway. To purchase a car in the mid twenties, would require I sell my Duster and my G8 GXP. I'm leaning toward the latter, however, the GXP is fairly limited production and has been one of my favorite cars in a long list of candidates.

Decisions Decisions
Old 02-26-2018, 01:44 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,194 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

My vote, having just done this, is spend the extra money up front. Ideally get a car that's as good as possible, as all the little stuff will add up quickly. My car was "done", but I've still probably got $2K-$3K in stuff that needs to be addressed, and that's just maintenance and piddly stuff, it doesn't account for any of the performance mods I want to do (probably another $5K-$10K). Looking back on it, I passed on a well modded car because of the color and more $$, but I should have just spent the money on it, and either painted it or wrapped it (or lived with the color).
Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ccmano
This is the car to get if you intend conservative but effective mods.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28744
Not a fan of red, but the pics on CL show it to be incredibly clean; like a garage king!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RossGN
Unfortunately, was not the car I was expecting. Seller claimed the car was a 9.5 out 10. Overall, I'd call it a 6 or 7 out of 10. Body and interior were ok...horizontal window rubber cracking. Lots of delam in windshield. Main deal killer was under hood. Badly stained cam covers and plenum. Overall condition was much less than I expected for a car that was shown a lot. The main deal killers was all the Nitrous plumbing under the hood, and title was still in previous owners name.search goes on.I asked seller if he was going to return my deposit and he stated he would. Haven't seen it yet. He has the car relisted 2 separate Ebay auctions now at 2 separate prices, now.

​​​​​​I was looking to buy this car and wanted to look at it. It has some work done already like new tires and fuel injectors.

How was the body though? Lots of xhips, dull paint?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:03 PM
RossGN
Racer

Paint was ok...a few touched up areas. Exterior door sweeps we cracking. Pretty substantial windshield desalination at perimeter. Plenum and cam covers stained and splotchy.Engine compartment was somewhat "unkept". Not what I expected from a car that frequented car shows. Previous owner stated 1-2 synchro were going out. Was not evident puttering around neighborhood streets. Did not take car out on highway. Previous owner stated he sold car to wholesaler for less than $12k.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:37 PM
RossGN
Racer

Previous owner also stated new coil packs. My offer was $16k. He kept my deposit of $1k, so maybe you can get the car for $15k. Worth a shot.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:49 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Paint was ok...a few touched up areas. Exterior door sweeps we cracking. Pretty substantial windshield desalination at perimeter. Plenum and cam covers stained and splotchy.Engine compartment was somewhat "unkept". Not what I expected from a car that frequented car shows. Previous owner stated 1-2 synchro were going out. Was not evident puttering around neighborhood streets. Did not take car out on highway. Previous owner stated he sold car to wholesaler for less than $12k.
The cracking is concerning to me. What does that mean?

Did you take anymore detailed pictures of it?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 PM
RossGN
Racer

Not quite this bad, but will be before long if not replaced
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:58 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Not quite this bad, but will be before long if not replaced
This is a common problem on all C4s. As an owner it’s nice to see so much interest in these cars and all of the new owners and the inquirys. If somebody wants a Z better get one soon. As far as price goes I’ve seen very low mileage cars needing some work. Not too long ago there was a 91 not too far from me 17,000 miles needing injectors for $17,000. If you have money in hand hold out for the perfect car,it’s out there.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:42 AM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Window sweeps are no big deal. Mine just turned 25k and mine have crumbled. When you buy a set on e-bay and it says "Over 850 sold", you know it is just a common fix.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by biggiefl
Window sweeps are no big deal. Mine just turned 25k and mine have crumbled. When you buy a set on e-bay and it says "Over 850 sold", you know it is just a common fix.

minor

Marty

Quick Reply: Ebay ZR1