C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Solution for Leaking Fuel Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:04 PM
fxkenny
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Solution for Leaking Fuel Fitting

Solution for Leaking Fuel FittingI have posted about this issue a couple of times previously. With the help of a couple of forum members I have corrected my fuel pressure leak off issue.
There are numerous places that the system can lose pressure. I separated the system into 2 sections to start.
By disconnecting the fuel outlet on the tank you can test the system from the tank forward (lines, connections, injectors & regulator) for leaks from the tank to the front of the car.

This test can be done by regulating shop air. I used 45-50 lbs as it is below the normal operating pressure of the system. Don't want to blow anything up!!
Notice in the pic that my test from the tank forward held pressure.

Next is applying pressure to the tank unit. This will test hoses, clamps and fittings along with the fuel pump check valves.

You will notice that pressure was not held when testing the fuel sending unit. Upon removing the sending unit from tank and applying pressure was able to trace leak to the "Y" fitting that consolidates the fuel pump output into the tank outlet. The original fitting is made of plastic and had separated at a molding seam.
The outlet hose is 3/8". The 2 hoses to the fitting from the fuel pumps are 5/16". I was unable to locate an "off the shelf" fitting that would accomodate the 2 hose sizes, and also, the fitting is not a true "Y".
Contacted Carter (Carter200) and he agreed to come up with a suitable replacement. (Luckily he lives right down the road from me.)
This comparison photo has Carter's prototype fitting. He has made dimension adjustments to adjust for overall size on additional fittings he makes.

I also recommend using submersible rated hose as it handles the turns from fitting to pumps better than regular injection fuel hose.

When changing pumps or anytime you have the sending unit out, I would recommend replacing the original fitting with one of these that will not be an issue in the future.

This is photo of protype fitting installed. Contact Carter (Carter200) if you need one.

A Safe July 4th to everyone!!
1990 #442
The following users liked this post:
carter200 (07-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Solution for Leaking Fuel Fitting