C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT-5 / Parts Availability

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:03 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LT-5 / Parts Availability

So having owned a ZR-1 for almost 20 years now I remember the old days when I would source parts either on ebay or various sources.
Sometimes sharing my finds with the brotherhood, LT-5 Supplement books, Fuel filters etc. While I have accumulated a ton of stuff over the years and am not really in need of anything, I have noticed a few things.

1. There seems to be way less inventory on Ebay than in past years. Of course there is always Kurt White listings etc. I am well aware of all the vendors that sell parts having owned a ZR-1 for almost 20 years.
2. I'm looking for opinions on why the inventory seems very depleted. Is it because the car is now almost 30 years old and parts are dwindling, owners are holding onto parts for themselves, owners are holding parts because the parts market seems to be depressed on ebay. Those that do sell often sell at obscene prices that never move the item.

I ask this question because years ago, if you perused ebay, you could easily find Tommy Morrison wooden endurance cars, pewter awards, rare posters, 1995 last ZR-1 window sticker, cam covers, thermostat housing, coolant hoses, nos plug wires etc etc.

Again, not looking for posts on parts are readily available through xyz and many parts are the same as the C4.

I have my opinion on the matter, just wonder what others opinions are? Especially some of the members that have been here 10-20 years.

Also if I have any friends here that are also members of the ZR-1 registry, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-23-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Kurt White really not in the ZR business much. But we have other vendors like Jerrys Gaskets. Rock Auto seems to be a good source.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:12 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default LT5 Parts on Ebay

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
1. There seems to be way less inventory on Ebay than in past years.
On Ebay it depends on the Search...……..I have always used LT5 Corvette as my search.

That search has grown from 2 pages to 3 or 4 pages.

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-25-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:30 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

There are plenty of ZR-1 owners that have many spare parts on hand. Plus the LT5 Registry vendor Jerrys Gaskets is making some hard to find parts he has plenty of parts on hand. We protect our ZR-1 brothers.
The following users liked this post:
A26B (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 07:44 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

lots of the hard core castings are still available but it's a scrounge. I won't pay 400 for a thermostat housing, I'll make one.

heads, cams and blocks are still to be had, complete short blocks and crrate motors have gone back up.

So can you get parts, yes, are they expensive, yes. whadddayaneed?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:48 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
lots of the hard core castings are still available but it's a scrounge. I won't pay 400 for a thermostat housing, I'll make one.

heads, cams and blocks are still to be had, complete short blocks and crrate motors have gone back up.

So can you get parts, yes, are they expensive, yes. whadddayaneed?
Somebody has to start 3D printing some of these parts. Imagine plenum and injector housings built w the runner dia. You specify and w uniform dimensions, smoothness, and concentricity. Thermo housing also comes to mind.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso

Somebody has to start 3D printing some of these parts. Imagine plenum and injector housings built w the runner dia. You specify and w uniform dimensions, smoothness, and concentricity. Thermo housing also comes to mind.
if I could print out a nice phenolic resin base for ls3 ITB I'd be happy

I can't dig spending multiple K for intake enhancements when a 2k ITB with a nice heat resistant base will make a s load of power in the upper ranges

gear it to get there and let it eat. we have a few printers that can do this work now and some experience with digitizing the existing stuff as a baseline

way cool stuff. I may prototype it with german ply that you laminate up like ford did with the paper stuff

it holds up pretty well considering it's wood the high temp resins and heat insolators make it possible.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:37 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Looking at some of the mono runner intakes I can't help but wonder what we could do with a Gen3 or improved intake

Back in the day Kirchoffer and many others (hogan) built some tunnel ram style intakes with big plenum volumes for strokers and had some success (but not much better than a full modded stocker).

The dyno tells the truth. Corey and others have built some really nice stuff but it's all manual labor and the $ to HP ratio is a tough nut to swallow.

So, given all that, I had the choice of spending money (that I really don't have) on intake mods, OR, looking down the road to hopefully some advances here

the ITB solution will still need enough runner length to retain good torque and the extra throttles and port volume will move the flow bottle neck away from the intake.

Trick is to be able to modulate the throttle and tune it well. I'm envisioning the lay over style crab intake like the old BB chevy used. That should provide plenty of runner length and a straight shot at the intake
Old 01-03-2019, 06:42 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

And at that point in time another dedicated ecm solution is needed. I have a haltech s2000 platinum that would do nicely here and with my c5 working "ok" with the HP tuners and some alchy, it's tempting.

It would require piggy backing into the factory wiring harness and taking away all the engine management functions. But with full on dual wide band, 8 channel egt, and solid control over the 16 injectors (or one big one as needed) tuning will actually get easier and individual cyl tuning is very doable. It does unlock some of those expensive ponies. But boy are they expensivE!

Get notified of new replies

To LT-5 / Parts Availability

Quick Reply: LT-5 / Parts Availability