Notices
C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

head gasket replacement?

Old 05-07-2019, 06:37 AM
KGV
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default head gasket replacement?

Hi,

To replace the head gasket, is it an engine out process? Also, to verify if I had an issue with the gaskets, what is the easiest way to tell; spark plug colour, oil colour, leak down test?

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by KGV; 05-07-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 AM
secondchance
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KGV View Post
Hi,

To replace the head gasket, is it an engine out process? Also, to verify if I had an issue with the gaskets, what is the easiest ay to tell; spark plug colour, oil colour, leak down test?

Thanks,

Ken
Yes. Engine must be pulled to replace head gasket. If you have blown head gasket, you will see steam coming out of the tail pipe.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 AM
KGV
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. Once it warms up here, I will check for tailpipe smoke.

I guess this could be one of those 'while were are at it' projects If the engine is out, and one head is off, I might as well port, polish, and paint it, and then check clutch, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing, etc.

Hopefully, it is just a simple leak

Ken
Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

What exactly is the issue? If itís oil smoke I almost guarantee you the head gaskets, rings or valve seals are not the issue. A leak down test will tell you.
H
Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Paul Workman
CF Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 200 Posts

Twice (different years) I thought I might have a head gasket issue. Both times it turned out to be a small leak in the cooling system.

Some symptoms of a gasket issue, in addition to a leak down test, is coolant in the overflow, over flowing, engine running hot. As mentioned, white "smoke" from one or mostly one (if you have a cross-over modded exhausts) that has a sharp, strong smell that does not dissipate as the exhausts piping heats up to operating temp. AND, the plug(s) of the cylinder with the leak will be "steam cleaned" - e.g., snow white compared to the rest. Also, there is some goop you can put in the coolant that will change to a certain color if exhaust gasses are detected in the coolant. Water in the crankcase oil (and if there is some, the silicon in the coolant will trash the O2 sensor on the leak side. So, be ready to replace it when repairing the gasket.

I got lucky (twice). After a run, and the motor was shut off, the coolant overflow bottle...over flowed. In one case, replacing the pressure cap on the reserve reservoir fixed the problem, and later a pin-hole leak in one of the elbow hoses on the cross-over manifold was the issue. (That was hard to find, and overflow continued to plague me until accidentally discovering it. The "give away" that it wasn't a head gasket was the lack of the other symptoms - none except for the over-flowing of the (white) overflow bottle.)

Hope it's just a leak - maybe just a new pressure cap will fix ya up! Good luck.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Aaron71771
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pull your plugs, you should be able to see an obvious difference on the leaking cylinder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: head gasket replacement?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: