C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

C4 zr-1 lowest drag most aero dynamic

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:29 PM
locobob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daves obsession
Underhood air is a really big effect on a C4, at 175mph you are pushing a lot of air on the fire wall. Put a fine mesh screen blocking the area that feeds the radiator. Buy a used set of gill plates and cut the gills out, take a 3.5 by 3.5 sheet to aluminum curve the front and pan from the front crash bars back.

all of the above will get you 10 mph. You welcome

Dave
10mph is a super impressive gain, I'm guessing that is on a 200+mph car right... where aero really becomes a huge deal. So the pan cuts down on undercar turbulence, the open gills reduce the air pressure in the engine compartment... but what does the front screen do? Slightly reduce the volume of air entering the engine bay? I've seen radiator screens before but always for the purpose of keeping debris from clogging up the radiator stack.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:21 AM
emmvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the old article from Corvette Fever. It doesn't look great in B&W, but the file size is too large in color.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Wind Tunnel Testing.pdf (1.87 MB, 111 views)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Page 38 had a chart....that is where the good info is. Looks like the C5 and C6 have the best CDA, which surprises me.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:41 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,195 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I was thinking the same thing. Really surprises me based on my very unscientific comparison of speeds in the different platforms and their behavior. The front lift #s do seem to back observed behavior as the C5Z gets very "light' on the front end over 170, while the C4 and C6 both feel much more planted at those speeds.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Daves obsession
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

When the Beast was in for wind tunnel work the operator told me that the front lift begins when the firewall is packed and that speed is very noticeable as the fans wind up. When the front lifts the CD goes up rapidly so keeping air from entering and getting air out is critical. The screen just limits the air, The pan makes for a easier path for the air to not enter as well as reduces turbulence.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:13 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Daves obsession
When the Beast was in for wind tunnel work the operator told me that the front lift begins when the firewall is packed and that speed is very noticeable as the fans wind up. When the front lifts the CD goes up rapidly so keeping air from entering and getting air out is critical. The screen just limits the air, The pan makes for a easier path for the air to not enter as well as reduces turbulence.

this. the bonneville guys know aero. How is the new build coming?? good to see folks pushing the limits of the lt5 again.

I'd destroke this time and go with the 4.125 bore and let it eat.

back to the c4 aero, while he overall cd numbers aren't that great (wide bode and tires don't help) the c4 is pretty stable. JL learned with the aero body kit that reducing the front end lift and keeping the tail planted led to a 219 yellow bird number with his custom rear and a stocker front and the car drove great

the c5 did well here too during the TT testing with JL decribing hot laps at 223 which is moving it

I know Norm K. has built a "super aero" TT LPE car to try and get up over 300 which would be quite an achievement.

He's got the cubic dollars and intel but honestly I haven't seen him post for a while or heard from him.

while my TT car was being "auto swapped" at RPM, Norms stuff was on the table for the wonderbar tranny made out of unobtanium to hand the big HP needed to go that fast

Norm did wind tunnel testing to let you know how serious this effort was.

Anyone know more about this project currently? GB??
Old 07-04-2019, 07:59 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

As I got older I got slower....In my 20's I had my GSXR-1100 at 171MPH..Speedometer correction I was probably at 160.....Did this many times on upstate highways and a few stretches in long island....

With my Z I think the fastest I went was maybe 140.....For some silly reason I always felt safer at speeds on a bike than enclosed in a car....

Would like to do some half mile runs in the Z....Curious to see what it does as its modified ...Over 500 at the crank....

I'm in NY and and I really only see these in Texas or Florida....NY is a tough place for Z ownership....
Old 07-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by zrc3john
As I got older I got slower....In my 20's I had my GSXR-1100 at 171MPH..Speedometer correction I was probably at 160.....Did this many times on upstate highways and a few stretches in long island....

With my Z I think the fastest I went was maybe 140.....For some silly reason I always felt safer at speeds on a bike than enclosed in a car....

Would like to do some half mile runs in the Z....Curious to see what it does as its modified ...Over 500 at the crank....

I'm in NY and and I really only see these in Texas or Florida....NY is a tough place for Z ownership....
I had my 1991 zr1 up to 171 as indicated on the digital speedo. It was on a down hill incline.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Its my understanding the newer corvettes have a lower Cd than c4. But thats not the whole picture.

the C4 has a smaller frontal area than the newer corvettes and , even when combined with its higher Cd, it has less overall drag.

ENTER C4 🙌
Old 07-21-2019, 12:02 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Its my understanding the newer corvettes have a lower Cd than c4. But thats not the whole picture.

the C4 has a smaller frontal area than the newer corvettes and , even when combined with its higher Cd, it has less overall drag.

ENTER C4 ��
Nope. Go back to post #22 and click the attachment, then read the chart on page 38.

Originally Posted by emmvette
Here's the old article from Corvette Fever. It doesn't look great in B&W, but the file size is too large in color.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-21-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: C4 zr-1 lowest drag most aero dynamic