C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT-5 Mechanic in Washington State?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 01:43 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had a mechanic in the Washington State tear into the LT-5? Who has any recommendations for a decent ZR-1 mechanic?

I know there is a Corvette shop in Puyallup? But they seem to do C3 and older

There is Brad's Custom Auto in Bothell

There is Rick Stark in Kirkland, but haven't heard anything good there yet
(And I won't be taking my Vette there after they worked on my 88)

Roy Robinson says they have a certified Z mechanic, but haven't really dug to make sure they are backing up what they are saying.

Brooks has a couple of Vette guys, but I haven't heard of anyone having them to do anything to the LT-5 yet. Just normal Vette issues.

Ideas?

Old 05-30-2001, 03:40 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ship it to the Vette Doctors out in NY or ship it to LPE

What's wrong with your ride B???

Old 05-30-2001, 04:10 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

Nothing is wrong with the ride. Just want to get a poll of which shop locals take their Z's to. Car is great (knock on wood) and gives me that smile ear to ear. I got some help disconnecting the CAGS last week...makes me feel a lot better. Next is that stupid sensor for the lights.

If I only had the dough to ship it out to LPE!

Old 05-30-2001, 07:46 PM
Airborne
Drifting

Brennan,

I wouldn't hesitate taking my car to Brooks for work on the LT5. One reason is that I am confident that their Vette mechanics will not take on work they aren't qualified to do.

Phillips Automotive is another place I've heard good things about. Couple years back he was willing to take a look at a car for me right in the heart of summer without an appointment. Imagine that!

Old 05-30-2001, 08:07 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

I got a message back from a guy on the ZR1.net, and mentioned that a few guys really like Roy Robinson, so that is an option as well. They guy I talked to is going to Corvettes of Auburn in June, so I will find out how that went.

Brennan

Old 06-02-2001, 05:23 AM
no cure
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad's Custom Auto is in North Seattle, 206.367.1471. 2 blocks west of lake city way at 127th.

they have done a TON of work on many vettes, including mine and many of my friends, and they have ZR1s in there all the time.

I'm just a satisfied customer, so take this for what it's worth, but I would never go anywhere else unless it was a dealer only warranty repair.

David

Old 06-02-2001, 02:51 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Yup, David got me hooked on Brad's too
They're definitely a great place.

If you have warranty work or insist on taking it to a dealer for some reason, I'd recommend Roy's in Marysville.
Old 06-02-2001, 03:59 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

Brad's is a great place...just make sure you have time to get your vette done. They are very thorough and do excellent work, Brad's just takes a little time to get done.

I have always seen a lot of C4's and Stangs there, but never any ZR-1s. That is good info. Thanks Guys.

Brennan

Old 07-31-2001, 01:37 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Corvette of Aurbun. Talk to Dan tumia, the owner.
Dan
Old 07-31-2001, 02:21 AM
Rainy99
Drifting

Yup. That is what I have been hearing. Another Z owner ZZZZR1, here on the forum, just went there and gave them high marks.

Thanks for the tip!

Brennan

Old 07-31-2001, 10:43 AM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

I only have two words of advice. Shop Manual.

Cameron
Old 07-31-2001, 11:47 AM
Rainy99
Drifting

Cameron, I know that there are more than a few owners here that can rip apart an LT5 with their eyes closed, but I am not one of them. And there are a few of them on this forum than can attest to that!

Doesn't mean that I don't want to learn. Guess I should start with the shop manual? heh.

Brennan

Old 07-31-2001, 12:04 PM
ZZZZZR1
Burning Brakes

I can recommend Corvettes of Auburn for moderate LT5 work. To my knowledge, they have not done any major LT5 repairs. They are more than capable of top end work, perhaps even going as far as removing the heads, but I don't think they've ever done any more extensive LT5 work than that. Again, this is to my knowledge, your results may vary.
I had them do some work on my '94, including new injector housing gaskets, testing and replacing bad injectors, fixing vacuum leaks, and working to cure my high idle problem. They did well, except the high idle problem is not fixed yet. I plan to take the car back to Corvettes of Auburn in the Fall or Winter for more work on this problem.
As for general C4 or any other generation work, given the inventory of projects they have, it looks like they do everything!

Old 07-31-2001, 01:20 PM
ZR1
Drifting

A shop manual and a modest tool set will get you a LONG way. Most repairs only require that and can easily be done by most anyone. Heck, I'm just a software weenie and I can do a whole motor with ease. As Cameron said, get you a shop manual. Those are invaluable even if it is only to be able to converse with the mechanic on a level they can understand.

Secondly, if you have a problem put it out here or on the ZR-1 Net. There are people who can walk you through most anything you need done. Rarely will you have to go into the engine itself so most of what you want done is just another Corvette.

As far as going down past the heads, then you are getting into territory that requires special tools and the shop may not have them. That is where trouble starts. Then you will need someone who has done a bit of LT5 work.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:11 PM
ZROne
Burning Brakes

Brennan - let us know if you want us to dissassemble your LT5 for you. Between me, Stacy, Nick and Jeff I'm sure we have the tools to get it taken apart. I can even do some pocket porting with my die grinder.

Or if you want an engine that is a joy to work on - and I'd only do this to a buddy - I'll swap the 350 from the '78 for that incomprehensible LT-5 thingy.

sirhC

Old 07-31-2001, 03:13 PM
ZR1
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZROne:
[B
Brennan - let us know if you want us to dissassemble your LT5 for you. Between me, Stacy, Nick and Jeff I'm sure we have the tools to get it taken apart. I can even do some pocket porting with my die grinder.

sirhC

[/B][/color]
I smell a business opportunity here....

Way cool! Once they have screwed that up for you I will do the heads for only $10,000.00! Sure, it's steep but never let it be said that I let any good deed go unpunished. Oh yeah, the valve guides, once they have cracked with pushing them out I will sell you a new set for, oh, say $200.00 a guide. So send me your heads and $19,600.00 and I will fix them. [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2001, 03:30 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

Har har. You guys are a riot.

No need to go ripping apart my motor which seems to work just fine. I plan on getting a manual. If not to work on my car, but for the understaning of how everything is put together.

Chris, I have an LT-5? I thought I just had the stickers...

When I do have issues with my Z, don't worry I will be posting everywhere for answers!

Brennan

Old 08-01-2001, 01:31 AM
Onyx
Instructor

Hey rainy, you may want look around the net for one of those 2 hour LT-5 training videos. I've seen them going for about $70 I think. I heard it's not extremely technical, but should make for a good visual aid for that manual

Get notified of new replies

To LT-5 Mechanic in Washington State?

Quick Reply: LT-5 Mechanic in Washington State?