Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: C7 Carbon

Mildly modified 86 convertible.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Mildly modified 86 convertible.

Hi all.

First off; pics will be loaded this weekend, but just to get this over with I am posting this now. I'm ready to sell my C4.

Obviously on a car that is just shy of 20 years old it comes with no warantee. It is solid and powerfull, but time takes it's toll. Here is a list of the issues that should be addressed if you want to make this a show car:

Just like all small-block-chevy's, the valve stem seals are weak and a small puff of white smoke comes out of the pipes after a cold start. If you didn't already know this.... than you have not had much experience with American V8 cars. It is a simple fix, but I was originally planning on keeping the car a few more years and was going to rebuild the whole engine this summer - never got to it. And it is a non issue as the total ammount of oil lost is less than 1/2 quart every 4,000 miles. Since I change the oil every 4k, I just ignore it.

The rims are in good condition. They are from a 91 vette and fit fine except that they sit a few milimeters farther in than stock. I have the stock rims with tires on them. one of the rims is dammaged and will not ballance. I have bought a replacement, but I haven't moved the tire over. - I was looking at the price of 4 new tires, and I found a set of 91 rims with tires on them for less money. All 5 stock '86 rims are yours along with the 4 '91 rims on the car now.

The rag top is in good shape, but it has started to pull slightly away from the framing. In strong rain, there is a small leak around the top-front corner of the window.

The paint is 2 years old, but it was not a show-grade job and having driven the car a lot, I have a few rock chips and srapes in the bumper and front section of the hood. (there will be a close up picture of the scrape on the bumber below).

It has sport seats, but the bladders are non-functional (just like 99% of the other vettes out there) and the power track moves only back and forth (the up/down is non-functional). I have a replacement power track that the buyer may have with the car. I was intending on sending it out to be rebuilt, so that I would not have to pay a core charge.

The tires passed inspection in Virgina last April, but I doubt they would pass this year.

**Please note
The condition of the tires is the only issue that this car might have with inspection

I have new carpet for the interior of the door, and new window sweep seals that go with the car.

-----------------

Now for the goodies!

I have upgraded several things on this vette. None of the modifications have been radical, only slightly newer technology, or heavy duty replacements.

The passenger side "breadbox" that some consider a 'quetionable' design feature in the 84 - 89 corvettes has been converted into a usable storage area. I'll have a few pictures showing this.

I didn't mention the transmission failure in the list of car failures because it was my fault. I ignored a small fluid leak, and the day after getting home from a 500 mile round trip, I burnt a clutch. Now I have a heavy duty transmission in the vette with a 2600 RPM stall Torque converter. It locks in 4th gear, so gas milage is not affected, and isn't too high to be a hassle around town. This was done about 1500 miles ago.

I replaced the rear differential with the factory offered (but not ordered with THIS vette) 3.07 gears. I had the posi-traction rebuilt at the time (3K miles ago) so you should be worry free for another 150,000 more miles.

By the way; This car gets 29 mpg on trips and 20 mpg around town.

I upgraded the intake system with a K&N air filter and upgraded 52mm Throttle Body

I upgraded to the Accell made intake base manifold designed by Lingenfelter. and complimented it with a set of long tube intake runners from AS&M (Arizona Speed & Marine )

I bumped the output of the ingnition system with the high output distributor and computer from Hypertech

I replaced the spark plugs and wires with Accell "U" groove plugs and MSD wires

I added a camber brace from R-D Racing, which was an amazing modification. I highly recommend it to anbody with a C4 corvette.

This car has a full Aftermarket exhaust. TPIS long tube headers, Random-Tech High-flow cats, and Flowmaster 40's

I removed the Bose radio system and replaced it with a custom build system including a 10" Bazooka subwoofer. I also included an equalizer that you can reach while driving. You see, with a convertible it is not possible to adjust the sound so that it is both right top-down at highway speeds AND top-up in traffic around town. I don't know why all convertibles don't have this, but every one _I_ own sure will.

Also, this car has the GM front mount retrofit kit to handle both old and new style tops, so that it can mount a GM hardtop. A white one comes with it.

----------------

Pics will follow this weekend, but you can ask any questions you want and I'll probably answre thme before then. I need to get he money for this before the end of MAy, so I will offer Corvetteforum the chance to buy the car for a week or two, then it will go to eBay.

All this for $8,000.00

Last edited by Fozzy_Bear; 04-28-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

The pics are at

EDIT
Pictures temproarily offline. I doubt I'll get them back soo, so it looks like she's headed to eBay

Last edited by Fozzy_Bear; 05-11-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

bump
Old 05-05-2006, 04:37 PM
illinest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like my car but in better shape. bump

Get notified of new replies

To Mildly modified 86 convertible.

Quick Reply: Mildly modified 86 convertible.