Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

1986 Coupe, 4+3, extensive list of new parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1986 Coupe, 4+3, extensive list of new parts

1986 coupe for sale

This is a great looking car (medium metallic silver), drawing comments nearly every time I take it out. Over ten years, I worked on rebuilding it to near-new condition. I got through most of the car, the entire interior, a new paint job, etc, but didn't get to the last thing - rebuilding the engine or dropping in a crate engine. It has 132k miles on it. Most non-engine parts (and even some of those), are near-new, generally original GM new-in-box parts. While it currently runs fine, and has been very dependable (I drive it regularly on nice days), if the engine was rebuilt or replaced, you'd have a near-new 86 'vette that draws attention - no wings or chrome wheels, this car just draws attention (alright, I did put chrome door handles on). The engine has recently had the head gaskets and oil pump replaced, as well as new hoses, gaskets, rebuilt alternator, water pump, balancer, timing gears/chain, and more. But, as far as I know, that engine has seen all 132k miles (I'm the 4th owner).

Early resto shows the early restoration, before the paint job and interior completion. It also details just some of the parts replaced (most within the last 10,000 miles). More details are:

Interior - Like new: black leather seats, shift ****, boot, thick black carpet (thicker than stock, better looking), steering wheel, dash pad, just about every switch, lock, latch, control,.... visors, windshield

near new: console plates, instrumentation unit works 100% except one bulb needs replacing, hood latches, rear window struts

general items replaced with new-in-box: electric antenna, all suspension bushings replaced with poly bushings (does it corner!), tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, wheel sensors, all 6 universal joints, steering rack replaced with new tigher-turning Z51 unit, gas tank, sending unit, fuel pump, those extremely fragile/brittle door lock switches - I found the last two new-in-box ones on earth!, The window regulators have been replaced with new, newer-design ones. The BOSE speaker boxes were rebuilt. I even purchased a new spare tire. The heater core has been replaced. The ignition switch and keys are new. The turn signal stalk has been replaced.

Power Effects exhaust (best sounding! - has 6-position butterfly valves allowing muffled to straight-thru) FMS 24# fuel injectors. Did I mention a new Cat?

This is an early '86, which means it has iron heads, and the 85/early-86 spacing on the roof panel locator pins. About 3-5,000 miles ago a new set of BF Goodrich g-force sports were put on, so the tires are still like new. Since the paint job, some scratches/scrapes have appeared in both the front and rear bumpers. I happen to have two small cans of leftover paint from the paint job, so these could be redone and will match.

I will include 2 roof panels, the painted solid top in the pictures, and a blue transparent top, which has the spidering/micro-cracks common on these tops (it works fine, doesn't leak, or it could be used for the $600-800 core charge for refurbishment).

I will include 2 car covers - a full cover, and a 'canopy' cover (handy for keeping out sun in parking lots). The PROM in the car is a custom program by a famous C4 racer, specifically for this setup. It is optimized for a slightly to moderately modified engine. The car dyno'd around 255hp. But a really nice feature is it turned the overdrive button into a manual 5th gear button - no auto-overdrive! (will include original GM PROM as well).

Well maintained. When I had the fluids changed in the 4+3 manual & overdrive, the fluids came out clear - no evidence of particles. The clutch has never slipped for me. You might even be able to talk me out of a set of test harnesses for the various sensors, a well-worn shop manual, and more.

I can provide more details and pictures via email for serious buyers. There's a few parts that have failed since installation (radio is spotty, rear hatch release, the glue on the vinyl of one door panel is letting go, the VATS unit stopped working, and the ABS refuses to work, even through the sensors, and both relays, have been replaced - they say it just needs resetting).

Various photos:

Front
Side
Back
Inside Passenger
Right
Driver inside
Dash
Cluster
Snout

Really don't want to sell it, but I'm trying to start two businesses, have health issues, and no time. $4,800 (car is currently in Nashua, NH)

Gregg (gh86e)

Last edited by gh86E; 03-12-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: -corrected links to photos-
Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM
brian_ndms
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this year. My first Vette was a 1986! GLWS!!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:46 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brian_ndms
Love this year. My first Vette was a 1986! GLWS!!!!
My first, back in '73, was a '70, and to this day, I still miss it.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there something wrong with motor? Is it drivable To say NJ if I come up and buy it from you?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slow-v6
Is there something wrong with motor? Is it drivable To say NJ if I come up and buy it from you?
Runs fine. I haven't had it on the road for winter, but was just about to re-enable the insurance and start driving it again to work. I just don't want to sell any 26-yr old car with 135k on it without emphasizing that while much of the rest of the car is new, the engine isn't. I have no reason to believe it won't easily make it to N.J. It's treated me well for the past 12 years.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice lookin 86! Good luck with the sale.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 496 Likes on 395 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Beautiful car, Gregg. This is the best color on early C4's

I'm sure it makes you sick to sell the car for so little after all the time you put into it ... someone should snap this up as a ton of work has been put into it.

GLWS
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 AM
350Dreamin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i may be interested. is this car still for sale?

seancooper86@gmail.com
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

still available? right up my alley!

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Coupe, 4+3, extensive list of new parts

Quick Reply: 1986 Coupe, 4+3, extensive list of new parts