Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

Am I getting snookered?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 PM
liquidtree
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I getting snookered?

Hi all,

I am clueless. I tried looking through the threads for an answer to my question, but I am just not finding the answer.

I have come across a 1984 C4 Series with 147,145 miles for $3,500. (Wanting for sentimental reasons, not wanting "a project.")

I don't know very much about the car. I'll tell you what I know.

52 new bushings
All fluids changed
2 dry-rotted tires. Other 2 look okay
Clear coat(?) coming off in several areas (Blue with black bottom)
No body damage
Unsure of interior components as seller is rewiring everything and all coverings are off (He says the display works fine)
All hoses replaced
California top
Dry-rotted weather stripping (He said he'd replace all weather stripping)
Changed out steering wheel (because original was cracking)
After-market speakers, Pioneer stereo
All windows look good

What else should I ask this person about the car..unless from what y'all know already he's asking too much?

Thanks!
Attached Images        
Old 11-27-2015, 09:37 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Honestly I think 3500 is a decent deal (without seeing the seats dash pieces etc) and not knowing what's wrong with the car, the rims look good on the car. I'd ask the guy where the car's originally from unless you already know. The badges on the car look new to me (a car with that many miles and a faded dash don't have badges that look THAT good in my opinion) If the guy does all the weatherstripping and does it WELL then you're getting a pretty good deal (from what I can tell) I'm sure more people will chime in and help. Another thing I noticed is the exhaust... out of the factory i'm pretty sure they come with 4 exhaust tips (may be wrong) but i'd ask him what's up with that, because it just doesn't look right. Don't know why the guy's doing all the work and selling it at that price, rather then do all the work and sell it for more when done.

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 11-27-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:47 PM
1994DelawareCoup
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keep looking

Looks like a project car to me. Something special about an 84? Paint even just clear coat will run some $. Look at it when it's finished. Check my post. Ten years newer, half the miles for $1,500 more. Of course I'm on the east coast which is not practical for you, just saying there's better deals and it's a buyers market this time of year.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 PM
liquidtree
Cruising

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. Well, he kept repeating California a lot. California engine type? The dashboard has several cracks in it; he has a carpet cover over it.

Yep, I'm sure I'll get lectured for this detail, but the seller is my daughter's fiance. They are in a financial hole. He swears that he paid $5,400 for it and then has been doing work on it. Most all of the work that he has done on it was before the financial situation. I think he was originally going to keep it.

He is a pilfer pot (sorry, I'm Southern) and a perfectionist, so, I can imagine him wanting to be thorough.

I will ask about the exhaust tips. I found that to be a little odd myself.

The passenger seat looks great. The driver's seat has a small wear spot on the seat. Covering of seats is also blue, a 2-tone if I remember correctly.

He said that before he decided to rewire everything that it ran great after the bushing replacement, hugging the curves with no body shifting.

Again, thank you very much for your reply. I have received about 50% "it's a good deal" and 50% "price is too high" from people who know a bit about cars that I know, but none of them have seen it.

I really want to help them out and get the car that was promised to me as a high school graduation present (yep, back in 1983! And I still feel jipped!) (dad gave me a matchbox car instead!!!!), BUT...I don't want a $3,500 yard weight....
Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 PM
1994DelawareCoup
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Family

I really want to help them out and get the car that was promised to me as a high school graduation present (yep, back in 1983! And I still feel jipped!) (dad gave me a matchbox car instead!!!!), BUT...I don't want a $3,500 yard weight....

Offer half down and half when he gets it together. Give the money to your daughter. C 4's are going to require maintenance and will always be something of a project. Who knows I'n time you may sell it back to him since it's a family affair. As a future son I'n law, he gets my vote. Given up a dream car to provide for his future wife, doesn't get better than that. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1994DelawareCoup:
KYC4 (11-27-2015), liquidtree (11-27-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 12:16 AM
Frank43
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Late C4 rear end. Check for damage from rear impact. Check frame. Front is original but rear is later. Somethings up. Then again it is cheap, so go with your gut....
Old 11-28-2015, 12:27 AM
liquidtree
Cruising

Frank, I appreciate your sharp eye regarding the back end. With you all chipping in with your knowledge, my new questions may get him to come down on the price, if it turns out from you all that the price is too high.

So, you kind of left the value of the car up in the air. With the given info, $3500 is cheap?

That you very much for your knowledge! Good eye. BrandensBeast thought something was up with the rear end (exhaust) too.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:32 AM
liquidtree
Cruising

UPDATE
Carfax reported:
Accident reported
Involving rear impact with another motor vehicle

Explain why the exhaust tips are not factory?
Secondly, will the pipes effect performance? Should I have the muffler/exhaust system checked by a mechanic?

Thank you to all who post helping me out regarding this car!
Old 11-28-2015, 02:35 AM
liquidtree
Cruising

More than just words on a forum; I am a person...

More than words in a forum; help a gal out

Last edited by liquidtree; 11-28-2015 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Photo was HUGE. I had to make it smaller
Old 11-28-2015, 02:35 AM
liquidtree
Cruising

Holy crap!!! That pic is huge!!!!
Sorry....I didn't know.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:22 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Too much for a project in work. (Especially electrical)
You'll end up investing much more money soon.
Walk away and keep looking. You'll find one the gets better reviews here.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:33 AM
liquidtree
Cruising

Default Electrical

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Too much for a project in work. (Especially electrical)
You'll end up investing much more money soon.
Walk away and keep looking. You'll find one the gets better reviews here.
He is doing the electrical work. It is something that he started before deciding to sell.

I do understand what you are saying though.

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2015, 03:56 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Don't walk...run from that car.
The following users liked this post:
liquidtree (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 04:08 AM
liquidtree
Cruising

LOL, okay!
Old 11-28-2015, 07:35 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Don't walk...run from that car.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:11 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sorry, but this car has "money pit" written all over it. For example, replacing all of the weatherstripping can cost anywhere from $600 to over one thousand. Paint repair done at a reputable body shop can easily run upwards of $5000 for a decent paint job. But MAACO will run around $300 for simply driving the car into a booth, wipe off the dirt and shoot.

If he doesn't have a lot of experience with electrical wiring on a C4, that will be a nightmare to do and to get right. As far as the exhaust tips, that could be nothing more than replacement mufflers. Not a biggie. But the exhaust should be inspected for condition! Do you have to go thru emissions testing where you live? Getting the car to pass can be expensive especially if somebody has removed the catalytic converter.

As far as anything "California". the only thing on the '84 that dealt with anything "California" was a CA Emissions package. That cost $75 and was a requirement for registering the car in that state.

In spite of the connection you have, I would suggest you pass on the car. It will cost thousands to get the car to look nice, be safe, and be reliable transportation.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:16 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

I reccomend you take a look at the thread I have (1800 dollar corvette build) to really get a sense of how much that car can need, not to mention mine doesnt have a cracked dash out of everything broken on the car (i'm sure that runs a couple hundred dollars). If you're smart you'd run away from the car like people suggest and not do what I did! But my situation was different so I went for it, if you do buy it you will NEVER get your money back on it, so be prepared to keep it for many years haha.

Edit: rear trim on bumper left side is short? something about the trim on the whole car looks off, does the trim by the hood say "crossfire injection" on both sides of the car? Trim looks to small or something (shot in the dark)

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 11-28-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I getting snookered?

Old 11-28-2015, 05:55 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
I reccomend you take a look at the thread I have (1800 dollar corvette build) to really get a sense of how much that car can need, not to mention mine doesnt have a cracked dash out of everything broken on the car (i'm sure that runs a couple hundred dollars). If you're smart you'd run away from the car like people suggest and not do what I did! But my situation was different so I went for it, if you do buy it you will NEVER get your money back on it, so be prepared to keep it for many years haha.

Edit: rear trim on bumper left side is short? something about the trim on the whole car looks off, does the trim by the hood say "crossfire injection" on both sides of the car? Trim looks to small or something (shot in the dark)
Too much for that car. Really.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:55 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Last edited by pologreen1; 11-28-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I too, think its priced high. Look around on craigs list to get some sort of idea, or even in here for that matter. AND, if you cant work on the car yourself... big money

Quick Reply: Am I getting snookered?