Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: 1992 ZR-1 w/21k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:55 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakeskinner2
Now let me ask you a question, how many C4 zr-1 do you think are out there that are comparable to this one? In the world ....total how many? My guess is maybe 2 or 3 that I've seen at most but I would like to know your opinion.
That dude wants a super specific Z and doesn't want to pay for it. It's not going to happen. My guess is he sees ZR-1's for sale that he doesn't like for 20k and when he finds one he does like he tries to apply that lower number to it. He's also asked multiple people about original wheels and I think it's hilarious he asked you because there is no way in hell the factory wheels are going over those brakes.... but he didn't ask about the factory brakes.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Now let me ask you a question, how many C4 zr-1 do you think are out there that are comparable to this one? In the world ....total how many? My guess is maybe 2 or 3 that I've seen at most but I would like to know your opinion.
'Comparable to this one' is part of the equation. I have no idea, I haven't seen this car in person. However, none of the mods add value to the car, especially in the Corvette community. Corvette buyers generally want unmodified stock vehicles. And that goes for most other cars as well. If you are buying a Dodge Viper and have added a twin turbo system that cost you $10k, you haven't increased the value by $10k, you've lowered the value by about $2k because the value is in the originality of the car and the new owner will have to pay to remove the add-ons. The only way the twin-turbo system adds value is if it was done by, and documented as one from, Hennessey. In the Corvette world the same holds true for mods. Unless the mods were done by Callaway via factory or aftermarket it is hard to get a markup for those cars regardless of the increase to the inital cost of the car. There might be some luck with mods done by Mallet or DRM but it would be very little in the current market.

I'm sure the car above is great, and have no qualms with the price. I saw the price was outside the norm, so the logical question is how was the price arrived at. That's all.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 01-30-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
That dude wants a super specific Z and doesn't want to pay for it. It's not going to happen. My guess is he sees ZR-1's for sale that he doesn't like for 20k and when he finds one he does like he tries to apply that lower number to it. He's also asked multiple people about original wheels and I think it's hilarious he asked you because there is no way in hell the factory wheels are going over those brakes.... but he didn't ask about the factory brakes.
I asked about the wheels because it goes into the valuation. I want factory wheels so I would remove the wheels above, along with the brakes if they don't fit, and restore the factory setup. I'm not in the market for a visual or performance upgrade.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
'Comparable to this one' is part of the equation. I have no idea, I haven't seen this car in person. However, none of the mods add value to the car, especially in the Corvette community. Corvette buyers generally want unmodified stock vehicles. And that goes for most other cars as well. If you are buying a Dodge Viper and have added a twin turbo system that cost you $10k, you haven't increased the value by $10k, you've lowered the value by about $2k because the value is in the originality of the car and the new owner will have to pay to remove the add-ons. The only way the twin-turbo system adds value is if it was done by, and documented as one from, Hennessey. In the Corvette world the same holds true for mods. Unless the mods were done by Callaway via factory or aftermarket it is hard to get a markup for those cars regardless of the increase to the inital cost of the car. There might be some luck with mods done by Mallet or DRM but it would be very little in the current market.

I'm sure the car above is great, and have no qualms with the price. I saw the price was outside the norm, so the logical question is how was the price arrived at. That's all.
I would have to disagree that certain modifications absolutely do add value to the car. A twin turbo Viper is going to go over a stock Viper pricing, I've owned a Viper....a modified Viper and paid more for it because of it and sold it for more because of it. The modifications I've done to this ZR1 have set it apart from the rest of the pack in my opinion and have absolutely increase the value of it oh, it is a much better car because of the modifications
Old 01-30-2019, 05:15 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Thats a matter of perception and your opinion which of course you are entitled to. However, its a little different in the ZR-1 community. Most knowledgeable buyers of a ZR-1 will want to see the injectors swapped out to ethanol friendly versions, most will want a set of headers added already because they know how much it costs to get a set on a ZR-1 and what excellent gains are realized from them. Most would like to know the plenum has been pulled and everything sorted under there. Most wouldn't mind the vacuum secondary delete modification, most would like to have a set of Shelby Series 1 wheels or some like whats on Skinners car because they know what a pain in the azz it is to find 17" tires sometimes in a 315. Many would like coil overs done because they know that finding a set of Adjustable Bilstiens is near impossible and theres a waiting list for obtaining them. Most would have no problem with anything that Mark Haibec has modified because they know who he is. Most are willing to pay more over a stock ZR-1 for all of these things when they are knowledgeable about a ZR-1.

ZR-1 people buy a ZR-1 to drive... not because we want an untouched example that sits in a plastic bubble. If we did buy them for that reason, we wouldn't be able to drive them anyway because there would be work needed to simply make them road worthy. If your plan is to have a 100% stock example of a ZR-1, may I suggest you buy one of the many 90's that are available with very low miles on them and pay for that low mileage. Because for what you want to spend and how much car you want, you wont find for 17 grand. As I said, there are many instances where "market value" just becomes a phrase.... When you want a super low mile car, a very specific color, or a highly moded ZR-1 ( ex:Haibec 500) you can expect to pay more than the average red 90... BTW, there are a few very fine low mile 90's in red for sale right now.... but I suppose red wont do for you eh?
Old 01-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by 81c3
Thats a matter of perception and your opinion which of course you are entitled to. However, its a little different in the ZR-1 community. Most knowledgeable buyers of a ZR-1 will want to see the injectors swapped out to ethanol friendly versions, most will want a set of headers added already because they know how much it costs to get a set on a ZR-1 and what excellent gains are realized from them. Most would like to know the plenum has been pulled and everything sorted under there. Most wouldn't mind the vacuum secondary delete modification, most would like to have a set of Shelby Series 1 wheels or some like whats on Skinners car because they know what a pain in the azz it is to find 17" tires sometimes in a 315. Many would like coil overs done because they know that finding a set of Adjustable Bilstiens is near impossible and theres a waiting list for obtaining them. Most would have no problem with anything that Mark Haibec has modified because they know who he is. Most are willing to pay more over a stock ZR-1 for all of these things when they are knowledgeable about a ZR-1.

ZR-1 people buy a ZR-1 to drive... not because we want an untouched example that sits in a plastic bubble. If we did buy them for that reason, we wouldn't be able to drive them anyway because there would be work needed to simply make them road worthy. If your plan is to have a 100% stock example of a ZR-1, may I suggest you buy one of the many 90's that are available with very low miles on them and pay for that low mileage. Because for what you want to spend and how much car you want, you wont find for 17 grand. As I said, there are many instances where "market value" just becomes a phrase.... When you want a super low mile car, a very specific color, or a highly moded ZR-1 ( ex:Haibec 500) you can expect to pay more than the average red 90... BTW, there are a few very fine low mile 90's in red for sale right now.... but I suppose red wont do for you eh?
I could be tempted by a red w/ tan 91'-95'.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:24 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I asked about the wheels because it goes into the valuation. I want factory wheels so I would remove the wheels above, along with the brakes if they don't fit, and restore the factory setup. I'm not in the market for a visual or performance upgrade.
this obviously isn’t the car for you if that’s the case!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:09 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Here you go atari.......

Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Here you go atari.......
Thanks. That's a lot lower miles than I am looking for though. Looking for original or can be restored to original but one that should be driven rather than in a museum. I would feel horrible putting miles on that one.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:05 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Why are you dead set on stock? First thing you'll have to do is tear into it 😂.... you'll see
Old 01-31-2019, 02:36 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

There is a difference between stock/“maintained” and modified. If the 90-92 car has been used, one would expect injectors to have been replaced, along with tires, fuel filter and the list goes on with consumable items. What Atari is looking for is something that hasn’t been modified and not able to be returned to stock. Big cube engine, interior changed out, exhaust, wheels, brakes, lights. Some people keep the spare parts to allow for a quicker easier sale. It is true, people want stock unnolested cars. They command a higher premium than other cars. Even LPE, DRM and yes, even the mighty Marc. Ask Warp ten how he did selling his Haibeck packaged car.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:48 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
There is a difference between stock/“maintained” and modified. If the 90-92 car has been used, one would expect injectors to have been replaced, along with tires, fuel filter and the list goes on with consumable items. What Atari is looking for is something that hasn’t been modified and not able to be returned to stock. Big cube engine, interior changed out, exhaust, wheels, brakes, lights. Some people keep the spare parts to allow for a quicker easier sale. It is true, people want stock unnolested cars. They command a higher premium than other cars. Even LPE, DRM and yes, even the mighty Marc. Ask Warp ten how he did selling his Haibeck packaged car.

I don't think the C4's are old enough yet to warrant "bone stock purity" like say a C1 or C2 would, you buy these cars to drive! you would be doing yourself a huge disservice driving one around in pure stock form when you could be driving one that has been updated in every way like a DRM or Mark package, or even something someone has done correctly individually. As much as some of us may want them to be they are not collector cars just yet...
Old 01-31-2019, 05:42 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=ChumpVette;1598794738]

I dont think that was the reason it didnt sell for more....
Old 01-31-2019, 06:33 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

I dont think that was the reason it didnt sell for more....
Took him more than a year after several price drops and finally an ad for “make an offer”. I sold a green low mile 95 Z at the same time he was, mine went in less than a week. Mine was also “stock”.

Last edited by ChumpVette; 01-31-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:34 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Took him more than a year after several price drops and finally an ad for “make an offer”. I sold a green low mile 95 Z at the same time he was, mine went in less than a week. Mine was also “stock”.

So maybe he was asking too high of a price, but I still wouldnt say the reason no one bought it was BECAUSE it had a Haibeck package in it. Personally, Id choose the one with a MH package in it or DRM or JVD before Id choose a "stock" one.... In my opinion, those names add value. I never bought one of those because I couldn't afford one... I never called one of the owners and tried beating them down on price because they had a breathed on car by a well known ZR-1 tuner. That would be both stupid and disrespectful.

Last edited by 81c3; 01-31-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

So maybe he was asking too high of a price, but I still wouldnt say the reason no one bought it was BECAUSE it had a Haibeck package in it. Personally, Id choose the one with a MH package in it or DRM or JVD before Id choose a "stock" one.... In my opinion, those names add value.
I agree, these cars require upgrades in certain areas and if a car has those areas taken care of already, it adds significant value. Why wouldn't it? It seems common sense that it would....
or you can buy a stock one and do the upgrades yourself and pay then, either way if you buy it to actually drive, you will definitely enhance the entire ownership experience having one that's properly sorted.😉
Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 AM
G8nightman
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks. That's a lot lower miles than I am looking for though. Looking for original or can be restored to original but one that should be driven rather than in a museum. I would feel horrible putting miles on that one.
If you want a stock car why bother even looking at this one or ask any question its obvious you like this car with the mods and ask dumb this like o do you have the stock wheels and you wait for the no to say o well thats going to be like minus 3000 lol like you did with me. Its ok not to want to spend big bucks for a clean Z so be happy with a 12 to 15k car that you will end up spending money on anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 ZR-1 w/21k miles

Old 02-01-2019, 05:11 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

So maybe he was asking too high of a price, but I still wouldnt say the reason no one bought it was BECAUSE it had a Haibeck package in it. Personally, Id choose the one with a MH package in it or DRM or JVD before Id choose a "stock" one.... In my opinion, those names add value. I never bought one of those because I couldn't afford one... I never called one of the owners and tried beating them down on price because they had a breathed on car by a well known ZR-1 tuner. That would be both stupid and disrespectful.
Been plenty of cases of tuner cars not selling for their “perceived” value. Always the saying of “you buy the engine package and get the car for free”. Just right up there with “another one stolen”.

When there are two nearly identical vehicles (both green on tan 95’s) for sale at the same time for the same price, the stock one sells for the asking price and the modified one has to be discounted 18k to finally get a sale over a year later. Nah, has to be some other reason..
Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by snakeskinner2
i agree, these cars require upgrades in certain areas and if a car has those areas taken care of already, it adds significant value. Why wouldn't it? It seems common sense that it would....
Or you can buy a stock one and do the upgrades yourself and pay then, either way if you buy it to actually drive, you will definitely enhance the entire ownership experience having one that's properly sorted.😉
glws.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

glws.
thanks. I'll probably just keep it to give people with stock cars something to drool over 😉. I realize modified cars aren't for everyone but when they're done right they are so good! They make a good car.... a great car

Last edited by Snakeskinner2; 02-01-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: FS: 1992 ZR-1 w/21k miles