Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

C-5 prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM
bobster42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrage06
Because on here you're talking about value in the truest philosophical sense of the word -- not what some pencil-pushing, number-crunching, prius-driving, world-of-warcraft-playing goon determines in a cubicle somewhere in Metropolitan, USA.

Do you really think a .99c comic book is worth $100? The answer is: depends who you ask.
no the answer is what the insurance company tells you its worth
they are going to be the one that pays out
Old 03-08-2012, 12:31 AM
thefasteddy
Instructor

ok so i have never owned a GM car or truck and recently started looking at buying two and could really use your guys help at getting a good deal as i know how the market is and don't want to pay more than i could resell them for.

1st is a 2000 c5 convertible, 11,000 miles, garage queen, hud black on black lowered on coilovers (make unknown) headers and exhaust, procharged p1sc with intercoolers installed on stock motor. has "intro" custom wheels, (looked them up, 6,000$ for the set) 20x345 in the rear and i think 18" in the front. mini tubbed also for the wider wheel. very clean car, well done, not junk at all.

what do you think would be a great buy?

2nd 2003 cadilac escalade ext truck, 51,000 miles. black exterior on tan leather. garaged often, not driven much. complete custom. roof rack removed, rear roll pan bumper with parking sensors, back up camera, 24" custom black wheels. whole truck lowered evenly. added rear air bags to raise truck when towing. 1st gen manga supercharger m112 small one i think, with intercooler. cross drilled rotors, custom stereo with tv in passenger visor, tv's in rear head rests and dvd/nav player in stereo slot. also has upgraded speakers, tweeters added and a aftermarket 10" sub in factory location. amp under rear seats. very clean truck, looks awesome, not a crappy hack jack gangster truck but professional and clean.

what do you think?

i would really love your help and price ideas for a great buy on each as i am new to GM cars and trucks.

thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Rickster1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grainraiser
Well if you pay 30k for a car and total it the next day the insurance is going to give you replacement value. If that value is 22k that is what you are going to get. You can plead the 30k you paid but it will not change a thing.
Originally Posted by bobster42
no the answer is what the insurance company tells you its worth
they are going to be the one that pays out
Actually no. Vaule is determined by what a motivated seller can sell to a willing buyer. Insurance companies do not set value, the market does. It is possible to recover the $30K spent on a car that "books" for $22K, if you can prove the market value is greater than the "book". I have had to do this (successfully) both for personal vehicles as well as for clients. Of course if you simply overspent because you are not a prudent buyer and the market value on the car is in fact $22K then you are SOL.

Of course the best way to do this is set up insurance coverage with your agent, before the loss, and have your car covered for the apraised value, not the "book" value.

Last edited by Rickster1; 03-08-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
bobster42
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rickster1
Actually no. Vaule is determined by what a motivated seller can sell to a willing buyer. Insurance companies do not set value, the market does. It is possible to recover the $30K spent on a car that "books" for $22K, if you can prove the market value is greater than the "book". I have had to do this (successfully) both for personal vehicles as well as for clients. Of course if you simply overspent because you are not a prudent buyer and the market value on the car is in fact $22K then you are SOL.

Of course the best way to do this is set up insurance coverage with your agent, before the loss, and have your car covered for the apraised value, not the "book" value.
I think we are off track now. I am looking to purchase my first c-5 looking for a stock car for the most part.I think the point we are trying to reiterate is that most of us do not want to pay over book value for the car, we can disagree all day about that but its not going to change anything. I am a business minded person I never buy anything from house to car that if need be I could turn around and sell it and get my money back,or in the case of a accident, that I do not have to fight with the insurance company more than need be to get my money back.I hope this clears things up
Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 PM
stol3n
Racer

Originally Posted by Grainraiser
Well if you pay 30k for a car and total it the next day the insurance is going to give you replacement value. If that value is 22k that is what you are going to get. You can plead the 30k you paid but it will not change a thing.

Reggie
unless you have it insured for it's value. I did this with mine. I called a collector car agency, sent them some pictures, had it insured for value over the phone in less than 15 minutes.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

I have mine for sale for $15,000, but I don't know if the price is to high or just right. I appraised it on Edmunds and it told me it was worth about $11,000 then Kelly blue book and NADA have it for 17,000. And they are usually up for sale in my area for any where between $14,000 and $20,000. So I don't know how to price it. The car is in great shape.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 PM
4hits
Burning Brakes

This is what I love (hate) about C5 prices.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...low-miles.html

vs

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...18k-miles.html

My budget is nowhere near either of one these cars, but I'm having a hard time understanding what are, in my mind, the high C5 prices I keep on seeing, whether here or on autotrader.

Other than someone being dead set against a C6, are there really buyers who will choose this C5 over this C6?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM
hb32
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4hits
Interesting comparisons I suspect that the difference between C6`s and C5`s along with individual preferences may add to the value. I for one never liked the C6 headlights or electric door handles so opted for the C5. I also seem to recall a thread on here regarding selling a C5 to move into a C6 and then selling it to get back into a C5 but can`t find it.

Last edited by hb32; 03-16-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4hits
This is what I love (hate) about C5 prices.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...low-miles.html

vs

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...18k-miles.html

My budget is nowhere near either of one these cars, but I'm having a hard time understanding what are, in my mind, the high C5 prices I keep on seeing, whether here or on autotrader.

Other than someone being dead set against a C6, are there really buyers who will choose this C5 over this C6?
You would be surprised how many people would rather have and like the C5 over the C6's.... I personally would rather have my C5Z over any C6 besides the C6Z and even then I dont think I could get rid of it but rather have both
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM
4hits
Burning Brakes

I understand the C5Z06 vs plain C6 -- its a lot more than 405hp vs 400 hp.

But concerning the two links I posted, there are more than a handful of people who would pick the C5 over the C6? I guess that's why C5 prices are where they are.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

I prefer a C5 over a C6 but I will not pay a premium price for a C5. If I pay 26k+ for a vette it will be for a C6. Folks can price their cars for whatever they like but the market will be the determining factor.

Reggie
Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Default C-5 Prices

Haven't budged a bit for Z06 in almost 5 years...

June 27, 2007 ad in NWFL Daily News:

Chevy Corvette'03
Z06 Immaculate condition,
Torch red, black interior,
13,000 miles, Garage kept,
Under Warranty, Original
Owner, non smoker,
$30,000. (850) 689-XXXX
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Pace08
Advanced

Default Corvette pricing

Many of the comments on this forum concerning Corvette pricing are valid and relevant, others are not. Dealer asking prices distort the market. One Corvette publication that follows auctions also distorts what cars will bring outside auctions. Writers for the latter offer their opinions based on these auctions, and what the better known used Corvette dealers ask for the cars. These two factors are among those that influence what individual sellers ask for their vehicles. Unfortunately, both are inaccurate in respect to what the cars will bring in the private sale market. I have sold three C-5's in the last five years, a 1996 Grand Sport, and bought five Corvettes, including a C-6 Pace Car. None of these cars were sold or bought at what the so-called pricing guides suggested, nor did I pay anywhere near what the guides suggested. Perhaps more important, the cars are hard to sell for the private party. Dealers, which I am not, have access to financing, take trades, and therefore can get away with charging more than the car is worth. Finally, most private party buyers know little about the Corvette market. The place to start, when buying a Corvette is the Forum, but do not allow the prices asked in some ads to distort the actual market value of the car. Corvettes are a difficult sale for a private seller.

Last edited by Pace08; 03-18-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: word change
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 PM
bobster42
Instructor

This is the best comment to date
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM
vetten25
Intermediate

I would like to buy a C-5 convertable, but I would like to sell my Harley Dividson Heritage Springer first. I have over $25,000 invested. It has everything on it you could possibly put on it. All kinds of chrome, and not a speck of rust. I took care of this toy just like I have with all the 65 cars and trucks I have owned. I am not spreading any bull. If any body bought a car or truck from me , they got a lot, for their money, and I've had 24 corvettes. Anyhow I would like to get $9800 for my Harley. Believe me this thing is gorgeous and spotless. So if somebody could send me a buyer, I would make it worth your while. Thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

I have tried to tell many sellers that they want get the same price as a dealership. First of all C5's are 8 years or older. Only a dealer is going to finance a older car and they are able to command a higher price because of it. Cash buyers are few and you can bet your butt they are not going to over pay for a car. Secondly if you price a C5 over 24k your gonna narrow your buyers pool because that buyer is going to look at a C6 for a few thousand more. Sellers need to research what cars are actually selling for and forget about the asking price. It's understandable that everyone wants to get the best price they can for there car but I have seen to many cars priced like they are gold. People need to understand that it is not difficult to find a clean low mileage vette. To many are weekend cars only so thinking you can ask a premium price because your car is a garage queen is not realistic. Do just alike a buyer and research what similar cars like yours is selling for. Then simply price your car accordingly. Books or guides mean nothing to me when shopping for a vette. Comparing like cars is whats important to me. Price it right and it will sale.

Reggie

Quick Reply: C-5 prices