Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

No Wheel Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 01:45 PM
leelightfoot
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Wheel Key

Just purchased a 2004 ZO6, but the dealer lost the key to the wheel locks. They offer no solution.........Anybody have a plan to remove these locks? New wheels are just collecting dust !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 02:22 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: No Wheel Key (leelightfoot)

I thought they quit putting locking lugs on in 2002 - my 2002 coupe doesn't have them.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:33 PM
leelightfoot
Cruising

I wish that was the case, however.....................
Old 10-17-2003, 08:39 PM
rwd
Burning Brakes

The factory stopped providing the locks and having the dealers install them with cars built on or about 2/25/02. If you have locks on yours, the dealer or, if used, a prior owner must have put them on.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:47 PM
speedy1
Racer

If you bought this vette from the dealer I would make them figure out a way to take them off, without scuffing up the rims. They still have a responsibility to you as a consumer. I would give them a certain time limit to figure out how to get the locks off like maybe 3 days, and if they cant produce results, I would go to a wheel shop I'm sure they can figure out a way to get the locks off, maybe they can use some liquid nitrogen to freeze the locks and then snap them off. Because you never know when you are going to need to change a tire. Talk to the General Sales Manager, then after that the General Manager. :chevy
Old 10-28-2003, 06:11 PM
leelightfoot
Cruising

Just got off the phone with the dealership.....Still no help....They tell me that each key is unique and they are not serialized. Sounds strange to me...I am thinking about welding a nut on to the face of the lug and remove them with a socket.. I was hoping that someone out there had seen this before and had a easy cure. Still listening for an easy answer!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:40 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Default The fix is simple...

The fix is simple, but it may take a little time on the phone. My locking nuts on my car got stripped on the outside when a would-be theif failed to take my wheels. I took my car to a tire shop and they had these sockets that had a sharp spiral pattern inside. The spiral pattern has a shallow cone shape to it. When turned to the left, the spiral pattern cuts into the locking lug nut and gets tighter and tighter, cutting deeper and deeper as torque is applied. By the time enough torque is applied to loosen the nuts, the socket will have cut a tight grip into the nut. This will get your lug nuts off, but they will be ruined. You will have to replace the lug nuts. When you buy the new ones at the dealer, they will come with a key. Make the dealer supply the new ones, as they can cost 40 or so bucks.

So call around and find a shop with the sockets that take off locking lug nuts and offer to buy the guy dinner if he can take the nuts off without scratching the rims.

Hope this helps,
Dale
Old 10-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you look under the drivers seat?? There's a small area in the floor for small articles such as a wheel key... :D
Old 10-29-2003, 11:26 AM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: No Wheel Key (NEXEX)

Also look in any packages that came with the car.Also there may be a little slip of paper with numbers on it to id you locks. If all else fails I too had a tire shop remove mine, but it may scratch the rims.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:28 AM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: No Wheel Key (DocToss)

P.S. A new 2004? I would go up the ladder at the dealer, no way should they ignore something like that.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:09 PM
leelightfoot
Cruising

What is really bad about the lack of support from this dealer, is that this is the 4th new corvette I have purchased from them in 4 years. I let them know that I am very unhappy about the circumstances with these locks. It seems that they don't need the repeat business since they brag about having over 100 corvettes on the lot at any one time...................... Also I have been looking into the socket to remove damaged bolts, so far I have foung one that fits 3/4, unfortunately, the outside diameter of the lug is 13/16. Still looking...I really appreciate the ideas and help from you guys on the forum...........
Old 10-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Zproud
Burning Brakes

try snap on tools, or a larger salavage yard may have the tool.

I have beat a socket on locks , and did get them off with a inpact. You may slip and damage wheels.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:33 PM
speedy1
Racer

Talk to a lawyer, maybe you can find out what the dealership responsibility is to you as a consumer. Then if you don't get any results, I would go to the dealership on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and get loud in the dealership so that the other customers will here you talking to the management about there lack of customer service, after they lose a few customers. See if that will change there mind
Old 10-29-2003, 10:46 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

The more I think of this, the more I think you should pay a visit to your sales person on a busy Saturday. You can often get resolution by making a scene in front of potential customers. I had to do this once and while it was way out of my character and difficult to do, it did get the sales manager's attentions and the problem was resolved.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:08 PM
leelightfoot
Cruising

I would truly love to make a big scene at the dealership, however, They are 6 hours away and time is tight right now. They did tell me today that I could bring the car in and they would do something. The problem is, what about a flat tire on the drive there? So many promlems, so few remedies...............
Old 10-30-2003, 04:23 PM
NV MY C5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Most tire shops have a master key to remove the locks. Take it somewhere and give the dealer the bill!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Intimidator3
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: No Wheel Key (thevettenet CA)

I thought they quit putting locking lugs on in 2002 - my 2002 coupe doesn't have them.
My 02 have them.
I would get the dealer to remove them.

Get notified of new replies

To No Wheel Key

Old 11-01-2003, 09:56 AM
shutterfab
Racer

Take it to a good tire shop. This happened to me in my C4, local tire shop used a socket and banged it on then was able to get locks off. It did ruin the locks but I didn't care. Just make sure they know what they are doing and not damage the wheels. Good Luck!! :cheers:
Old 11-03-2003, 12:30 PM
leelightfoot
Cruising

Default Re: No Wheel Key (shutterfab)

I thank you for your reply. I'm checking with Snap-On and Matco about a stud removal tool for 13/16. If I can get one that big it should work....
Old 11-06-2003, 07:23 PM
0karshop
Former Vendor

I would park in the service area until they figured a way to remove them. Their is only a few different keys, tell them if they don't have them to order each one.

Quick Reply: No Wheel Key