C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Radials vs Tubbed with 345s

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:35 PM
ScottN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default Drag Radials vs Tubbed with 345s

I will be upgrading to some sort of FI in the next year. Most likely, I'll be going with the Mag. I should have at least 500 rwhp after the upgrade. I plan to start going to the track this spring for the first time ever. So, I'm a newbie.

Can anyone comment on the difference in launching traction between using drag radials and 345s at the 1/4 track? I assume the drag radials would stick better but can anyone comment on how much better. How well with the 345s perform...significantly better than my current 295s?

I would prefer to go with the 345s because I could use the same tires for both street and track. I could sell my current rear CCW SP500s with 295 Pilot Sprots, and buy a new rear set with 345's. The out-of-pocket cost would not be too bad.

If I go with drag radials (probably nitto's or bfg's), then I'd have to buy an entire set of tires and a set of used Z06 wheels. Although, having to change the wheels for track duty is not preferred if the difference is not significant.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

As a start.........I use both on my 97'. At these power levels it is near impossible to find an all around duty tire.........
I use the treaded tires for road trips 700 miles one way.
Drs for trips of ~450 miles one way or less, local trips and play time at the track.

345/30/1/8 bfg drs at 19psi hot 1.52 60' & 10s.....stick like a ****

345/35/18 street tires 1.75' 60' and mid 11's
Old 03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you don't want to Tub..you can go with a 305 Nitto...That's what I have. There is a Noticeable difference on the street, but I havn't been to the track with them yet, but I suspect pretty good results.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:32 PM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

I just ordered the 305 Nitto RII's and chrome Z06 motorsports. I'd say if it means that much to you the 345 BFG DR's are the way to go like allthrottle&nobottle says. However you will have to tub. If you're up for a little work it honestly won't cost much. Just plan a weekend for it. I considered it but decided on a set of tires for street and ET street's for drag. Maybe down the road if I get more into autocross/roadracing that will change

btw i will be running hig 500s rwhp soon so that's why i did this combo..
Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Turbo C5
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '05

I have 345/35 18 pilot sports on my car now and I have no traction at all. I'm switching to 345/30 18 BFG drag radials.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:13 PM
TANGLVR
Drifting

If traction ye seek....go with DR's

I switched from a 305 street tire to a 285 DR and it sticks like heck. I now have a useful first and second gear.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Z-BLACK-ZO6
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Turbo C5
I have 345/35 18 pilot sports on my car now and I have no traction at all. I'm switching to 345/30 18 BFG drag radials.
I have 345/30/19 0n my car and i am bitting the bullet and buying a set of BFG 345/30/18 dr's and new wheels to match. Love the pilot sports for their intended use.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:00 PM
ScottN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Turbo C5
How much rwhp are you pushing? Did you see any noticeable improvement with the 345 pilot sports over your previous setup?

Originally Posted by HeavenIsABlownC5
I switched from a 305 street tire to a 285 DR and it sticks like heck. I now have a useful first and second gear.
That's good to hear since I still have my stock wheels and the 285 should fit just fine. I was a little worried that a 285 DR would not stick enough.

Just to clarify for everyone. I don't plan to tub unless I go with 345 street tires. For DRs I would not tub. I'd either get soemthing to fit my stock rim rim or go with a used set of wheels that will fit a 305 DR.

If I could get mid 11's on 345 street tires like ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE, I think I'd be happy with that. Famous last words, huh?

Thanks for the response so far. Everyone is extremely hepful as usual.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:30 PM
vette 2000
Heel & Toe

Hi I just bought a set of nitto DR's 305 35 18 WOW!! what a difference before hitting the throttle below 70 MPH the car was sideways now it hooks and goes. (560RWHP)
Old 03-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Turbo C5
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by ScottN
How much rwhp are you pushing? Did you see any noticeable improvement with the 345 pilot sports over your previous setup?
At the time I had 480 rwhp with a supercharger setup. The 345 pilot sports were an improvement over the stock run flats, but not anywhere near what I was looking for.

Brad
Old 03-11-2005, 08:17 AM
STAGED
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if it hooks well, just my guess but 345mm drag radials have no place in drag racing. I've never seen a 345mm DR'd C5 run impressive mph traps for given dyno numbers/conditions simply because two fat 13.5+ inch nearly flat tires are like anchors on the car. I would not be surprised to see a 3 mph trap speed difference between 345mm DRs and 275mm DRs (latter for which many have gotten 1.6x 60' on MN6). 3 mph trap speed difference on a C5-class of car is like throwing away 35 rwhp just to turn bigger wheels/tires.

I'd go up to 315mm DRs and beyond that point, the diminishing gains in traction will be lost in excessive rolling resistance/greater rolling mass/lower mph. If one needs more than 315mm DRs, then it's best to jump to narrow as possible MT ET Streets; that's what the fast Cartek guys do (who are the masters of identifying trap and e.t. killing sources and countering them appropriately). Remember: get the narrowest tire on the car possible that satisfies the traction needs so one can have the best combo of trap speed and launch.

Edit: Drag RADIALS means the Nitto and BFG DR variety. Not the DOT-legal street slicks.

Now going 345mm on a street/road race radials on a mega-powerful street ride makes a lot of sense since the cornering benefits are there. Even then, a C5 road racer told me he sold his 335mm street tires and HRE wheels and went back to stock Z06 rims/tires on his Mag'd setup because it *felt* like he was missing 100 hp from moving the fat tires on the road course.

Last edited by STAGED; 03-11-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:50 AM
supercoupe01
Drifting

For what is worth, I will give you my impressions. I just recently tubbed my car and put 19 x 13's on the back with 355/25/19's with P zero's on the back. Big improvement over runs flats smaller improvement over 335/30/18's pilot sports. I haven't had a chance to test them other than getting the stickers off them last week . I think it will be a great street set-up once the warmer weather comes. Definetly takes throttle management. If I want to dead hook I put my ET Streets on. There is still a noticable difference between 355's and ET Streets when it comes to traction. I'm at 525 + rwhp/rwtq and I definitely would not want to run my car at the track with street tires. Spend your money on a good drag package if you are going to start racing. I found my set-up used for $1,400.00 in great shape.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by supercoupe01; 03-11-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by STAGED
Even if it hooks well, just my guess but 345mm drag radials have no place in drag racing. I've never seen a 345mm DR'd C5 run impressive mph traps for given dyno numbers/conditions simply because two fat 13.5+ inch nearly flat tires are like anchors on the car. I would not be surprised to see a 3 mph trap speed difference between 345mm DRs and 275mm DRs (latter for which many have gotten 1.6x 60' on MN6). 3 mph trap speed difference on a C5-class of car is like throwing away 35 rwhp just to turn bigger wheels/tires.

I'd go up to 315mm DRs and beyond that point, the diminishing gains in traction will be lost in excessive rolling resistance/greater rolling mass/lower mph. If one needs more than 315mm DRs, then it's best to jump to narrow as possible MT ET Streets; that's what the fast Cartek guys do (who are the masters of identifying trap and e.t. killing sources and countering them appropriately). Remember: get the narrowest tire on the car possible that satisfies the traction needs so one can have the best combo of trap speed and launch.

Edit: Drag RADIALS means the Nitto and BFG DR variety. Not the DOT-legal street slicks.

Now going 345mm on a street/road race radials on a mega-powerful street ride makes a lot of sense since the cornering benefits are there. Even then, a C5 road racer told me he sold his 335mm street tires and HRE wheels and went back to stock Z06 rims/tires on his Mag'd setup because it *felt* like he was missing 100 hp from moving the fat tires on the road course.

Summed up its called unsprung weight..........been a few good threads in the past on this issue. The less is always better, period.
Each to their own, but I DRIVE MY CAR to the races and home.
Heavy........yep, my DR combo is 57 lbs ea. & the street tire is 64 lbs ea......but I can drive 700 miles to BG in all weather/speeds and not worry about if a light weight wheel will take that abuse.
Either of these tires gets me near +26 mph on the big end..........
Diminishing returns is a real issue but, I decided until there is a DR test day and I can find the minimum width tire/wheel combo that will work on my car and I can drive safely 450 miles one way I will buy the 345s (deal I couldn’t pass up) and have a nice day in the 10s NA at the strip with consistent 1.52-1.55 60' all day long.
Each car with different tires/drivers will deliver different performance....
Oh I know I am giving up 3/10s easy in the 1/4/road racing/autoxing with these weights but one of my goals was to get my true full weight 3680# street car in the 10s NA with this dr set-up and I did

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Radials vs Tubbed with 345s

Quick Reply: Drag Radials vs Tubbed with 345s