C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS Twin Tubro Kit (Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 09:23 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVY08
I know the second picture is one of the origonal prototype before they routed over the fromt wheel wells, look the pictures on STS's website or email me and ill send you the specifit one, but i will see ifi can get than answered for you.

ok so are all BOV mounting flandes universal? For example the kit comes with a TIal BOV, but I had the TurboXS RFL BOV on my WRX and I loved the sound of it, any chance that they will fir the same hole?

AWesome job clearing the BB turbo information up, SS390, We need guys like you tl help us with numbers and specs and what it all really means. How do you know all this?
Not all BOV flanges are the same. The style and flange size changes even within the same model line of many manufactures. Many BOV's come in different sizes so the "bore" diameter will often be different. Almost all will come with the proper flange (or can be purchased separately). They also come in SS, mild steel, and aluminum for use with whatever type of tubing you’re using. Most flanges have to be welded on, which is easy enough to do. To a certain degree the same is true with WG's. BTW, I can't answer your question about the TurboXS RFL BOV since I've never used that one... I do know it's way louder than the Tial BOV's (not my thing).

How do I know this stuff? I don't know, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously, I've been playing with FI for about 17 years now and I'm an engineer.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:16 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Im the same way, I guess your just ohh, 15 years ahead of me, and im still working on becoming an engineer.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:48 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by SS930
I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously, I've been playing with FI for about 17 years now and I'm an engineer.
Wow... I didnt know that staying in Hotels and driving trains would make you such a smart guy!!

VR
Old 09-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Aikidostudent
Heel & Toe

wow
Old 09-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Aikidostudent
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vetterdstr
Wow... I didnt know that staying in Hotels and driving trains would make you such a smart guy!!

VR
?????
Old 09-12-2005, 12:27 AM
AndrewZ
Advanced

False? Misinformation?

Ever hear of a company called GARRETT??? When it comes to dual BB turbos they are the leader!

The cartridge assembly in Garrett dual row ball bearing configuration is most definitely water cooled. The ball bearing design reduces the required amount of oil to provide adequate lubrication. This lower oil volume reduces the chance for seal leakage. Also, the ball bearing is more tolerant of marginal lube conditions, and diminishes the possibility of turbocharger failure on engine shut down. Because the oil supply is limited for these units, they have to be water cooled. All of the Garrett GT series turbos utilize a water cooled bearing housing. A constant supply of water must be plumbed to the 14mmx1.5 threaded holes front and rear.

There are three common types of bearings for the turbocharger. They are: Garrett Ball Bearing, Turbonetics Ceramic Roller Thrust Bearing, and conventional floating bearing.

Turbonetics Ceramic Roller Thrust Bearings are a form of what some call BB turbos. These units use the ceramic roller bearing on the compressor side and a conventional floating bearing on the turbine side. The bearings are called ball bearings by Turbonetics, but that is for marketing reasons... they are not true dual BB certer sections (unless they've changed this VERY recently). The original intent was to create a stronger thrust bearing to improve durability on large diameter compressors. The Turbonetics style is said to handle 50X the thrust load of a conventional bearing vs the Garrett Dual BB of about 2X the load of a conventional bearing. However, even some of turbonetics "ball-bearing" turbos arn't considered a true ball bearing by some.

The Garrett DBB is the true BB turbo and IS water cooled. Just wanted to clear up any "misinformation".

No big deal really..I misread your original post and by the time I edited it you had already reponded..Sorry

I would really like to see the tech specs on the turbos STS is using in this kit..All turbos are not created equal..
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 AM
jetwithoutwings
Heel & Toe

Thanks Navy8, so I've heard 553 rwhp at 6PSI on the LS6???

Make sure you all understand that the official STS kit is up on the STS website. The pictures with the crappy MIG welds and the coated pipes, that was a non STS prototype that doesn't work. I guess STS didn't have time to do the first prototype so they sent it out to a local shop to get a kit fabricated and that local shop screwed it up. That vehicle's owner made a post complaining about that car on a competing forum.

Here STS has run the pipes from the turbo around the fender while that crappy prototype had them through the suspension:

See nice TIG welds with excellent heat penetration and 45 degree angles (STS kit):

These pics are from STS’ website, You can see in that last pic how you will lose about half an inch of clearance. The pipes will rise with the front tires so I don't think ground clearance will be a problem. I was worried about sucking in slush and crap but STS says that they have the filters way up high. To change the filters you actually remove the rear taillights! I am definitely excited, the real prototype that STS did sounds like it kicks a$$!

Last edited by jetwithoutwings; 09-12-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VR
Life on the road as an engineer can suck, been there done that!

One thing, you have time to kill in a strange town, so what do you do? You over analyze everything, your paid to design/engineer systems and turning your mind off can be tuff. So when you see something that is obviously wrong you have to comment.

I’m just grateful that when I was living out of a suitcase, WiFi connections didn’t exist!

Mike
Old 09-12-2005, 07:38 AM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Thanks

Thanks for clearing that one up jetwithouwings! Any other questions that we can clear up? Anyone hread if they are definately going to still use the stock airbridge?
SS930
Burning Brakes

VR
You lost me on the trains comment... maybe I missed that commercal. And, I NEVER claimed to be a smart guy, I'm far from it!!!
SS930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Life on the road as an engineer can suck, been there done that!

One thing, you have time to kill in a strange town, so what do you do? You over analyze everything, your paid to design/engineer systems and turning your mind off can be tuff. So when you see something that is obviously wrong you have to comment.

I’m just grateful that when I was living out of a suitcase, WiFi connections didn’t exist!

Mike
Old 09-12-2005, 08:06 AM
1 Nasty Z
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=NAVY08]I know the second picture is one of the origonal prototype before they routed over the fromt wheel wells, look the pictures on STS's website or email me and ill send you the specifit one, but i will see ifi can get than answered for you.

I just went to the website and saw the same pictures I posted earilier.
My e-mail is as follows if you find those pictures.
twz06@cfu.net
Thanks in advance
Troy
Old 09-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

You lost me on the trains comment... maybe I missed that commercal.
Commercial? There is no commercial.

What do you call the person who drives a train? - An engineer.

Awe come on... You didn't expect a guy with a forum name of Fozzy Bear to miss a PUN did you?

waka, waka, waka.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:17 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fozzy_Bear
Commercial? There is no commercial.

What do you call the person who drives a train? - An engineer.

Awe come on... You didn't expect a guy with a forum name of Fozzy Bear to miss a PUN did you?

waka, waka, waka.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Raced Guy
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

One big question, PRICE ???
Old 09-12-2005, 07:20 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I was wrong about the pipes going over the front wheels but it does go over the rear wheels and will not conflict with mini tubbing or wider or taller wheels. the charge tubes do run as shown in the pictures, but because they are at their lowest point where the wheels are their is no way they will hit anything because the wheels will lift the car up at the same point as the obstruction. If you do run into something that is high enough to hit the pipes at their lowers point that goes between the tires, you already have problems because you most likely just lost your front bumper.
As for price, I know their is at least one supporting vendor, look for their thread on the topic. lets keep this thread to information, and not about sales. A few other threads have been locked because they were inappropriate, lets keep this one in the forum guidelines

Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

So what turbos come with the kit (size and A/R)?

Get notified of new replies

To STS Twin Tubro Kit (Info Only)

Old 09-12-2005, 09:20 PM
jetwithoutwings
Heel & Toe

The turbos are T3/T4 hybrids. I also found out today that the stock plenium can be used and STS supplies sometype of reinforcement rings? I'll probably just get one of the aftermarket cast aluminum pieces.

Where did my other reply go with the kit pictures?:
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jetwithoutwings
The turbos are T3/T4 hybrids.
That isn't saying much, that's kind of like saying your car has four tires... Do you have any specs?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:17 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

They are Garrett Hybrid 60-1 turbos. They are the same basic ones that are used on the F-Body STS kit. On the F-Bodys tehy have done, and run on the dyno, (Single turbo) we've seen them consistently put down 490 RWHP, at about 10 Pounds of boost on the LS1s. They are great turbos, they will make ample power on even the forged LS1/LS6s. is that enough? od are you still looking for more sspecs, thats all I was able to get from asking the fabricators.

Quick Reply: STS Twin Tubro Kit (Info Only)