C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injector swap (instructions) look here! Thanks to Bill Reid

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:10 PM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel injector swap (instructions) look here! Thanks to Bill Reid

I recently needed to swap fuel injectors and had to do a little searching to find the instructions. With all the modding, blowers, turbos, ect, I decided to share this for anyone who needs it. It should also be an easy find to people searching. The credit for this goes to Bill Reid. He is the one who posted this originally, but I had to do some digging to find it. I figured I'd make it a little more obvious to searchers. This helped mine go smoothly and for once, not painfully. Thanks again to Bill Reid.

To change out injectors is extremely easy:
(Recommend the use of safety glasses)
1. Disconnect battery.
2. Pull fuel rail covers.
3. THOROUGHLY blow off the entire top of the engine using compressed air making sure areas around the fuel injectors are free of dirt and debris.
4. Disconnect fuel line from fuel rail by using a 3/8" GM fuel line removal tool. Note this can be obtained from Napa Auto Parts... or just about any other major auto parts store chain. Place a wadded up shop towel underneath the fuel line connection. Also note for the earlier C5's with a send and return fuel line make sure you mark which fuel line goes to which fuel rail feed. Slip the tool over the fuel rail entrance line just in front of the fuel line connector. Push the tool into the connector and at the same time push on the connector ensuring the tool is fully seated under the connector. Pull on the fuel line disconnecting it from the fuel rail. Rotate the fuel line up. Allow fuel from fuel rail to drain on shop towel.
5. Remove harness grey plastic harness mounting tabs by reaching underneath them, pinching the tips with a small pair of needle nose pliers and pulling them out of the fuel rail.
6. Disconnect electrical connectors from the injectors by pushing in on the spring wire and pulling up on the connector.
7. Using a 10mm deep well socket remove the 4 mounting bolts that secure the fuel rail to the intake manifold. Note that the passanger rear bolt will have a strap that grounds the fuel rail to an intake manifold bolt.
8. Pull up on the fuel rail removing it from engine.
9. Remove clips at the tops of each injector.
10. Pull each injector from the rail. There will be gas in the rail (not pressurized). Have a few extra shop towels available for this. When pulling the injectors make sure the o-ring comes out too. If not be careful removing the o-ring from the rail taking care not to scratch any of the sealing surface.
11. Lubricate, lightly, the o-rings on the injectors you are installing. This will prevent rolling of the o-ring and subsequent fuel leaks when installing injectors.
12. Reinstall injector clips to the fuel rail.
13. Press fit the injectors into the fuel rail. The clips will snap over the injectors when they are fully seated.
14. Reinstall fuel rail by pressing all injectors in place on the intake manifold. Bolt it down with the 4 10mm bolts.
15. Reconnect all fuel injector electrical connectors. They just snap in place when fully seated.
16. Reinstall fuel line(s) to fuel rail. Just push it on the line and it will snap in place when fully seated. Note that the injector harness goes underneath the fuel line connection.
17. Reconnect battery and turn ignition on but do not start car. Check for fuel leaks. If none... start car.
18. Reinstall fuel rail covers.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:24 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Those are some real good step by step instructions on doing this change right.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to bill - anyone hear from him? how's he doing?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

... doing OK, working at Intel now
Old 01-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
... doing OK, working at Intel now
glad to hear it - real estate school didn't pan out?
mmmmmm i'm thinking uno's!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the info
Old 01-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Togo
glad to hear it - real estate school didn't pan out?
mmmmmm i'm thinking uno's!
I have my license and it is active... but just like with anything else in life you have to start from the bottom making nothing in order to build clientele. Returning to the Semiconductor industry was the right choice for me... for now... and I'm sure my mortgage company would agree

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injector swap (instructions) look here! Thanks to Bill Reid

Quick Reply: Fuel injector swap (instructions) look here! Thanks to Bill Reid