C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**OFFICIAL** STS C5 owners/installers thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

hey guys,
I was speaking with Rick for awhile last night in regards to a few things. One of the things we covered was an upgrade for the turbos that will make them spool even faster. The upgrade should only be about $300. Plus he thinks it will make the car quieter as well. (not that everyone wants that) If anyone is interested let me know.

BTW, we have kits in stock so if anyone is looking for an install or over the counter sale, we can offer competitive pricing.

Doug
Old 01-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Jesse_Boyer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

enlighten me on this upgrade, if you will. I'm always interested in spending more
Old 01-27-2006, 11:20 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jesse_Boyer
enlighten me on this upgrade, if you will. I'm always interested in spending more
Yeh ... tell us. I could perhaps pop for some more power ... and get an ECS T-shirt with the upgrade.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 AM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC & SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The manual is copyrighted. This very much a real company, not a, "fly by night," turbo company.

Yes, Rick H.(Synergy) has been making improvements. I might even go see my car this week after my appointment.

Jason. Rick has a couple of, "bullet resistant(lol)," solutions for the airbridge. I am not sure if he will be able to mass produce these immediately.

He has a couple of other big products coming to market.

In spite what some others have said (some front mount guys) the measured thermal losses were only 1 PSI and that was thru cats. About 1/2 psi sounds right. If anyone want to argue the point. Take a look at any front mount race car and measure all the piping to the air/water intercooler, etc..

Brent
Old 01-27-2006, 12:26 PM
TaTommy888
Racer

I'm another DIYer. I installed mine in October (Pre-production kit)

I have had no problems with the oil pump (I did the break-in procedure as described)

The car runs great. I am going to order another wastegate then turn up the boost!

The install is time consuming, but not hard. The tuning can take time.

The extras I installed include the BBK aluminum airbridge, LC-1 Wideband with digital display, and boost and fuel pressure guages.

I love the kit!

Good luck!

Tommy
Old 01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by TaTommy888
I'm another DIYer. I installed mine in October (Pre-production kit)

I have had no problems with the oil pump (I did the break-in procedure as described)

The car runs great. I am going to order another wastegate then turn up the boost!

The install is time consuming, but not hard. The tuning can take time.

The extras I installed include the BBK aluminum airbridge, LC-1 Wideband with digital display, and boost and fuel pressure guages.

I love the kit!

Good luck!

Tommy
How much boost has the BBK seen? I'm about to pull the trigger on that, just hoping to hear confirmation that is going to work and work well. Don't want to spend $300 just to pop it in half.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
TaTommy888
Racer

Originally Posted by Cajundude
How much boost has the BBK seen? I'm about to pull the trigger on that, just hoping to hear confirmation that is going to work and work well. Don't want to spend $300 just to pop it in half.
I'm not even sure if the jaws-of-life will pop this thing in half!!! It is VERY solid and thick.

The only cons are heat soak (since it is not plastic), and the weight (more than plastic!)

But as far as durability, it is an non-issue!

Tommy
Old 01-27-2006, 02:01 PM
lewishou
Racer

Doug,

Can you give some more info about this upgrade?

Lewis

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
hey guys,
I was speaking with Rick for awhile last night in regards to a few things. One of the things we covered was an upgrade for the turbos that will make them spool even faster. The upgrade should only be about $300. Plus he thinks it will make the car quieter as well. (not that everyone wants that) If anyone is interested let me know.

BTW, we have kits in stock so if anyone is looking for an install or over the counter sale, we can offer competitive pricing.

Doug
Old 01-27-2006, 02:07 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

What is the freakin upgrade already . And are there any solid soltions for the airbridge ordeal. Mine is being completed at this very moment so I want to know what is the best for sloving the problem.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

scuba: any noise or anything unusual from this pump?

what's causing the crankcase boost issue? rings? It's not STS related, is it? I mean, would you have the same issue with any FI (issue is with the motor, not the kit).
Nothing unusual from the pump at all. Actually the kit has proven quite good except the crank case boost issue. It's not the rings I think that it maybe because it's a 99 block and pvc set-up. I may look into a catch can or a evac system.

Get a good tune, Synergy did the tune on my car. It runs pretty strong.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:46 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

I'm not sure if anyone with an STS kit has cracked/ruined the stock air bridge, but I'm told it's only a matter of time if you're running more than 6psi. The general solution has been to buy an aluminum unit by BBK (#17260, I think), but they are on back order for atleast 2-weeks!

You can find them at this link and they'll match Summit Racing's price of $270. Simply tell them you'd like the same deal I, Jesse Boyer, received.

NOTE: I checked www.thunderracing.com and www.tbyrne.com and neither had it. If any sponsor actually carries this, I'd like the mods to remove this link. Please replace the this link with the appropriate sponsor's link!

http://performance.speedycarparts.com/bbk~tb.html
I destroyed a carbon fiber airbridge the first minute of running my car with the STS tune. The STS tune was too lean for my car and backfired through the intake and my $265.00 airbridge was history. I am not running a BBK.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:49 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

I'm not even sure if the jaws-of-life will pop this thing in half!!! It is VERY solid and thick.

The only cons are heat soak (since it is not plastic), and the weight (more than plastic!)

But as far as durability, it is an non-issue!

Tommy
I couldn't of said it better myself!

Tommy is right on all aspects.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:54 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Default IAT for STS TT

I've driven my car everyday since Thanksgiving weekend. I've checked the air supply tubes to the intercooler and also place my hands on the intercooler. Let me tell you that this system runs super cool. The tubes to the intercooler seem to get about 5 deg. warmer other metal areas on my car.So far no detonation either.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:36 AM
TaTommy888
Racer

Originally Posted by Scubanme
Nothing unusual from the pump at all. Actually the kit has proven quite good except the crank case boost issue. It's not the rings I think that it maybe because it's a 99 block and pvc set-up. I may look into a catch can or a evac system.
This is EXACTLY why I went with a 2002 or newer car since GM finally realized their low tension oil rings were not working out! I used to have a 2000 TA, and that thing blew smoke like I was playing spy-hunter!

I tried the LS6 PCV update, catch can, even an electric vacuum pump setup! Not much difference...

It ran fine, but it consumed oil, and blew smoke. I never took the plunge and had the engine re-ringed, because it did not seem to hinder performance.

(I'm assuming these are the issues you are referring to when you say crank case boost issues.)

Tommy
Old 01-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Option information directly from STS"

"As far as sound levels go, the base TT kit is what I would call "Agressive". Not obnoxious enough to attract the attention of law officers by any means but she sounds like she's a runner. We have had some custom turbine housings cast up and now have them in stock. They are a direct replacement and install in about ˝ hr. I would recommend these for all high-altitude Vette’s but they are a great addition to any system. The A/R is slightly tighter which gives you about 500 rpm quicker spool up which makes driving the car even more fun. There is no detectable high rpm power loss at base boost levels. Our prototype Z06 made 560rwhp at 6 psi w/ these housings. Obviously any car running high boost or running slightly larger displacement would run the standard turbine housings (The really big hp cars or big displacement engines will actually run a larger one). These housings completely get rid of the drone on the freeway between 2k and 3k rpm. The car sounds great and is very responsive in the lower-mid rpm range.

Talk to you all later, Rick @ STS
"
Old 01-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Jesse_Boyer
Melting Slicks

This is EXACTLY why I went with a 2002 or newer car since GM finally realized their low tension oil rings were not working out! I used to have a 2000 TA, and that thing blew smoke like I was playing spy-hunter!

I tried the LS6 PCV update, catch can, even an electric vacuum pump setup! Not much difference...

It ran fine, but it consumed oil, and blew smoke. I never took the plunge and had the engine re-ringed, because it did not seem to hinder performance.

(I'm assuming these are the issues you are referring to when you say crank case boost issues.)

Tommy

tommy/scuba,

maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm asking it anyway.

does the oil pump push hard enough to push air into the CC causing the CCP issue?

Jesse

Last edited by Jesse_Boyer; 01-28-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I must be blind because I can't find my instructions for the oil pump break in. Can anyone enlighten me? Direct hookup to the batt? Let run 5 mins.? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To **OFFICIAL** STS C5 owners/installers thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:26 PM
TaTommy888
Racer

tommy/scuba,

maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm asking it anyway.

does the oil pump push hard enough to push air into the CC causing the CCP issue?

Jesse

I don't know if the oil would do that, but my feeling is no, since the oil is essentially a closed system, so whatever is being pumped back in came from the crankcase in the first place.

There is such a thing as a dumb question, but yours was NOT one of them!

BTW, I am not having any CCP issues with my car.

Tommy
Old 01-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajundude
I must be blind because I can't find my instructions for the oil pump break in. Can anyone enlighten me? Direct hookup to the batt? Let run 5 mins.? Thanks!
My understanding is to run the oil pump on the high setting for the first 50 miles, then set it and leave it at the low setting.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer
Option information directly from STS"

"As far as sound levels go, the base TT kit is what I would call "Agressive". Not obnoxious enough to attract the attention of law officers by any means but she sounds like she's a runner. We have had some custom turbine housings cast up and now have them in stock. They are a direct replacement and install in about ˝ hr. I would recommend these for all high-altitude Vette’s but they are a great addition to any system. The A/R is slightly tighter which gives you about 500 rpm quicker spool up which makes driving the car even more fun. There is no detectable high rpm power loss at base boost levels. Our prototype Z06 made 560rwhp at 6 psi w/ these housings. Obviously any car running high boost or running slightly larger displacement would run the standard turbine housings (The really big hp cars or big displacement engines will actually run a larger one). These housings completely get rid of the drone on the freeway between 2k and 3k rpm. The car sounds great and is very responsive in the lower-mid rpm range.

Talk to you all later, Rick @ STS
"
Does this mean they are smaller turbos such that they can spool up faster. Can someone explain what "The A/R is slightly tighter.." in the above quote means. I have drone at 2000-2200 RPMs, which gets a little quieter above that, so this might be the ticket for me. Did Rick say how high a boost level this housing will support on an LS1.

Quick Reply: **OFFICIAL** STS C5 owners/installers thread