C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Import Turbo Junkie: How Well do Vettes respond to Forced-Induction (Turbocharging)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:49 AM
flyboyzack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import Turbo Junkie: How Well do Vettes respond to Forced-Induction (Turbocharging)?

Hey guys, I'm a newb to American Muscle cars and sports cars. I have always been a big boost import car junkie. I have owned various cars such as a 414 rwhp BPU++ 6sp Supra, a 421 awhp Subaru STi, and a 513 rwhp 300zx twin turbo to name a few. Needless to say I love turbos....the rush of a big turbo(s) kicking in is nuts on big hp cars.

I am kinda looking to explore some domestic performance cars, namely the Corvette. I have always loved Vettes, and am considering getting one in the coming months. Since boost is in my DNA, how well do these cars respond to boost....big boost. Do you have to build the motor to run more than a bar (14.7PSI) or so of boost? I have my eyes set on building a twin-turbo vette, and was wondering what kind of numbers can I expect to get on pump gas without tearing up the motor and re-working it? I know APS has a pretty sweet kit that's goot for about 500 rwhp I think.

Thanks for any insight
Old 10-21-2007, 03:34 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

There is plenty of information on this forum to answer your question. So you don't own a vette, but you are "thinking" of buying one, and decided to join this forum just to pick our brains, huh?

Import turbo junkie............
Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Look here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1587048

There are tons of FI Vettes to show you what they will do! Check out the list!

One member BARABUS has a 780 RWHP and 830 RWTQ C6 that has APS TT's on it!

I'm running a ProCharger on my LS1 346 Motor and have 565 RWHP and 483 RWTQ with no meth yet! (Coming Soon! ) and on ONLY 6.8 PSI of B@@ST!
Thanks,Matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 10-21-2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: ADD B@@ST LEVEL!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 AM
LS6.net
Racer

Originally Posted by flyboyzack
Since boost is in my DNA, how well do these cars respond to boost....big boost. Do you have to build the motor to run more than a bar (14.7PSI) or so of boost? I have my eyes set on building a twin-turbo vette, and was wondering what kind of numbers can I expect to get on pump gas without tearing up the motor and re-working it? I know APS has a pretty sweet kit that's goot for about 500 rwhp I think.

On a stock LS6, you can expect 6-8psi to get you around 525-575rwhp. With a Vortech blower @ 6.5psi, my 2003 C5 Z06 made 544rwhp with just headers and a tune as my other mods. Still a stock fuel system, too. That was a gain of 156rwhp over my numbers with just a cold air and long tube headers.

If you want to run more than 7-8psi, you'll want to run meth. With a good tune and meth injection, you can run 10psi pretty safely. More than that and you'll want a forged motor. The sky is the limit regarding boost once you've built the motor. The amount of power you make it directly related to the size of your wallet.

You should be able to make 700-750rwhp with a TT setup on a forged stock crank rebuild. A good top end, along with a stout bottom end, should allow boost levels of 14-16psi on pump gas w/meth. Here's a dyno of an APS TT 347ci setup that Cartek built for a member on the board:

750hp/791tq at the wheels.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:53 AM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

If you are planning on buying a Vette, this forum will defently convince you soon!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 AM
pimpjames
Burning Brakes

The good thing about a boosted vette is not only the HP/Torque its the small things while having all that power like the handling, style, not to mention the Vette Heritage or membership and friends you will make from the whole vette community.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 239 Posts

Hey guys, I'm a newb to American Muscle cars and sports cars. I have always been a big boost import car junkie. I have owned various cars such as a 414 rwhp BPU++ 6sp Supra, a 421 awhp Subaru STi, and a 513 rwhp 300zx twin turbo to name a few. Needless to say I love turbos....the rush of a big turbo(s) kicking in is nuts on big hp cars.

I am kinda looking to explore some domestic performance cars, namely the Corvette. I have always loved Vettes, and am considering getting one in the coming months. Since boost is in my DNA, how well do these cars respond to boost....big boost. Do you have to build the motor to run more than a bar (14.7PSI) or so of boost? I have my eyes set on building a twin-turbo vette, and was wondering what kind of numbers can I expect to get on pump gas without tearing up the motor and re-working it? I know APS has a pretty sweet kit that's goot for about 500 rwhp I think.

Thanks for any insight
If you like boost you can get results like this with at least one of the TT kits available..you can search or ask to find out. I don't think the one I have is available anymore. But with the right setup...LSx love boost...don't be afraid to try one of the Centrifugal Supercharger kits offerred by ECS or A&A either...they are laying down some serious power and back'n it up with track times.

Here is a quick pic of one of my dyno graphs...this one is a little less then the run that was made at A&As party last June on the Dynojet. (347cid).

All numbers are at the rear wheels....ignore the fields in the boxes such as rpm etc...they were simply not filled out.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:53 PM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome aboard.

You cannot run 14-15psi safely on a stock ls1. It would need forged rods/pistons.

You can however run enough boost stock to make more power than the cars you listed, not to mention far superior area under the curve. You will be more than pleased.

Good luck with your purchase/plans. This forum is very helpful when it comes to the FI section.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

These aren't little engines, and they don't need to make huge boost to make huge power. Don't worry about how many bars you can pull.

A fully streetable LS engine can probably go as high as 1200 or so rwhp without too much trouble. Building it, that is. Keeping a driveline under a C5 at those power levels is another story. There are some SERIOUSLY fast streetable Vettes on this forum and I don't believe anyone is running at those power levels. Maybe Major Spray/Bowerey Boys?

The typical stupid-hp setup pulls 850-950 on the dyno and is detuned to 750 or so for the street.

My suggestion is to set a performance goal first and then ask what it takes to get there. It will probably be much less radical than you expect, compared to import setups.

A "reasonable" built-for-speed street C5 can run low 9s and top out at over 230. At least. Fast enough for ya?

I don't own one these killer setups (yet), this is just what I've gathered from asking others pror to my own buildup, so this is decidedly a non-expert opinion.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:49 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can look on Linfenfelters web site and they have some videos on some Hight powered vettes. One is a C6 on a Dyno making over 1000 RWHP. Another one of a C6 doing over 200 mph in the standing mile.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6.net
On a stock LS6, you can expect 6-8psi to get you around 525-575rwhp. With a Vortech blower @ 6.5psi, my 2003 C5 Z06 made 544rwhp with just headers and a tune as my other mods. Still a stock fuel system, too. That was a gain of 156rwhp over my numbers with just a cold air and long tube headers.

If you want to run more than 7-8psi, you'll want to run meth. With a good tune and meth injection, you can run 10psi pretty safely. More than that and you'll want a forged motor. The sky is the limit regarding boost once you've built the motor. The amount of power you make it directly related to the size of your wallet.

You should be able to make 700-750rwhp with a TT setup on a forged stock crank rebuild. A good top end, along with a stout bottom end, should allow boost levels of 14-16psi on pump gas w/meth. Here's a dyno of an APS TT 347ci setup that Cartek built for a member on the board:

750hp/791tq at the wheels.
Now that's what I'm talkin about!

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-21-2007, 06:06 PM
flyboyzack
Intermediate

Wow, this is freaking nuts!!!! Getting 600rwhp in a Supra on pump gas is a huge accomplishment. On a TT vette, however it seems like 800 rwhp is attainable on pump gas with the average for a good setup being 500-700 rwhp. I remember as awesome of a car the Supra is, no one on the Supraforums would argue when a TT Viper came into town. They said unless you were running a 74mm+ turbo w/ 30-35 PSI on C16 you wouldn't stand a chance. What I like about the Vette is being able to acheive great numbers ON PUMP GAS, also with the boost coming on quicker for an overall better power curve.

I would say my goal would be something in the 550-650 rwhp range that is going to be fairly reliable and streetable, with the ability to break into the 10's. I'm looking into a C5 because I could buy one and build it for the same price and maybe even less than the C6's. I am already sold. I just need to find a clean 00-02 Millineum Yellow 6spd now!!!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I would say my goal would be something in the 550-650 rwhp range that is going to be fairly reliable and streetable, with the ability to break into the 10's.
Any of the "favored" FI kits will meet those goals with ease on a forged but otherwise mostly stock engine, excepting the Magnuson (Maggie). It can also drive like stock, on pump gas (although meth injection is suggested). If it were me, I'd consider the following kits, in no particular order:

A&A Vortech (centri)
EPP Procharger (centri)
ECS Paxton (centri)
Kenne Bell (twin screw)
TTix (twin turbo)
STS (twin turbo)

Any of these will run $8500-10000, installed, with the usual bells and whistles. Engine forging and driveline upgrades not included.

Last edited by Gannet; 10-21-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look in the cars for sale section, sometimes you can find some great deals on cars already modded and could save your $10-$30k.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:11 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by RED99
If you look in the cars for sale section, sometimes you can find some great deals on cars already modded and could save your $10-$30k.
I agree, I bought my 99 FRC with all the mods done for $31.5 and couldnt be happier. 5-550hp you would be able to get on pump gas, but anything above that your pushing it. If you plan on building the motor the sky is the limit.

PS...I used to be into imports as well, owned a bunch over the years MR2-T, Evo, Eclipse, S2K to name a few However I dont regret switching
Old 10-21-2007, 11:51 PM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am already sold. I just need to find a clean 00-02 Millineum Yellow 6spd now!!!!!
Look for the 01-02, there were some changes between 2000 and 2001 that would be important to you and your horsepower goals. Namely, less stuff to switch out. It already has LS6 intake manifold/block and a better cam grind among other things. For your boost goals, unless you are building/forging the engine anyway, the LS1 may be better for you rather than an LS6 Z06 in my opinion. The LS1 has a little lower compression. It's not essential, but if I was looking again from scratch it is something I would consider. Plus you can get a removable roof coupe!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 AM
SpdKilz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the turbos on this car. 4.5psi and 548rwhp on a mustang dyno. I'm going to turn it up a psi or two for spring and hope for 600ish on 93 octane. Car pulls like a mad man! You won't regret turboing it!

Get notified of new replies

To Import Turbo Junkie: How Well do Vettes respond to Forced-Induction (Turbocharging)?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock shortblock Vettes can handle too much boost. Meaning you have to stay below 10 PSI on the stock shortblock. The good part is 10 PSI should net you around 600rwhp on a stock Z06. Realistically most people play it safe and stay around 8 or less PSI or about 550 rwhp for an everyday driver. Now once you forge the shortblock, then you can safely run 14 to 16 PSI with Meth. That's around the 700+ rwhp range.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gannet
Any of the "favored" FI kits will meet those goals with ease on a forged but otherwise mostly stock engine, excepting the Magnuson (Maggie). It can also drive like stock, on pump gas (although meth injection is suggested). If it were me, I'd consider the following kits, in no particular order:

A&A Vortech (centri)
EPP Procharger (centri)
ECS Paxton (centri)
Kenne Bell (twin screw)
TTix (twin turbo)
STS (twin turbo)

Any of these will run $8500-10000, installed, with the usual bells and whistles. Engine forging and driveline upgrades not included.
Any of these kits can get you into the 10's

Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Wow, this is freaking nuts!!!! Getting 600rwhp in a Supra on pump gas is a huge accomplishment. On a TT vette, however it seems like 800 rwhp is attainable on pump gas with the average for a good setup being 500-700 rwhp. I remember as awesome of a car the Supra is, no one on the Supraforums would argue when a TT Viper came into town. They said unless you were running a 74mm+ turbo w/ 30-35 PSI on C16 you wouldn't stand a chance. What I like about the Vette is being able to acheive great numbers ON PUMP GAS, also with the boost coming on quicker for an overall better power curve.

I would say my goal would be something in the 550-650 rwhp range that is going to be fairly reliable and streetable, with the ability to break into the 10's. I'm looking into a C5 because I could buy one and build it for the same price and maybe even less than the C6's. I am already sold. I just need to find a clean 00-02 Millineum Yellow 6spd now!!!!!

We have a 1,000 RWHP Z06 on pump gas in the shop now if you want to see one in person. Latest Vette magazine has several featured.

Quick Reply: Import Turbo Junkie: How Well do Vettes respond to Forced-Induction (Turbocharging)?