C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Largest engine with maggie 112?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:33 PM
yotaman96
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Largest engine with maggie 112?

I know you guys have more knowledge about maggies than the fbody crowd. I currently have a magnacharger 112 on a 99 TA with a stock bottom end. I'm running TEA stage 1.5 heads. If I decided to upgrade my shortblock and run the same heads, what's the largest cubic inch I should get? I doubt this small maggie would be capable of supplying enough air for a large engine. I know I would still keep compression high because that's what works best with the maggie. About 10lbs of boost and maybe add some nitrous later. I may just end up with a forged 347 for the price. Thanks for your input.

Oh, and Funcool is the Maggie King.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yotaman96
I know you guys have more knowledge about maggies than the fbody crowd. I currently have a magnacharger 112 on a 99 TA with a stock bottom end. I'm running TEA stage 1.5 heads. If I decided to upgrade my shortblock and run the same heads, what's the largest cubic inch I should get? I doubt this small maggie would be capable of supplying enough air for a large engine. I know I would still keep compression high because that's what works best with the maggie. About 10lbs of boost and maybe add some nitrous later. I may just end up with a forged 347 for the price. Thanks for your input.

Bigger the better.

Funcool has seen over 15lbs of boost on a 402 and made 600/700 with a mail-order tune showing AF ratio below 10 during the dyno.
Mid you, that's with a near max effort 112 Maggie. 112 Maggie with mods can be made to properly boost a 427.

Last edited by tlaselva; 01-16-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 PM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and Funcool is the Maggie King.

Thank's, I think when I'm done 700 rwh and 800rwt is possible!! Bigger cam 242/250 640 lift 114, 2 inch headers, 3 inch mufflers, 2.5 inch blower pulley, take off the cat's and finally tune the car!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM
yotaman96
Intermediate

FunCool, What compression have you been running? It seems the maggies really like higher compression.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

FunCool, What compression have you been running? It seems the maggies really like higher compression.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

I know this is not really what you were looking for as an answer but it may give you some perspective. I have a 122H, which is not that much larger than a 112 on a 427 engine. The motor built by MTI Racing was built as a high compression N/A motor. Later I wanted a little more punch and I like the Maggie and the way it looks on top of the motor. Now everybody said the Maggie could not support a 427 and it would just huff out. Listen, I got almost 100 more HP and over 50 pounds of torque with just seven pounds of boost. I got that torque at 2100RPM while without the blower that same torque came on about 4200RPM. This blower seems to like cubes and high compression. I would post the dyno but I am not a supporting member so I can't post an attachment!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

But the claims that everyone said are exactly true..

You got 14.3 rwhp and 7.1lbft of torque per pound of boost. Not to mention significantly higher intake temps. Your blower was putting down less than 50% of what any other blower should put out..
Originally Posted by gorillavet
I know this is not really what you were looking for as an answer but it may give you some perspective. I have a 122H, which is not that much larger than a 112 on a 427 engine. The motor built by MTI Racing was built as a high compression N/A motor. Later I wanted a little more punch and I like the Maggie and the way it looks on top of the motor. Now everybody said the Maggie could not support a 427 and it would just huff out. Listen, I got almost 100 more HP and over 50 pounds of torque with just seven pounds of boost. I got that torque at 2100RPM while without the blower that same torque came on about 4200RPM. This blower seems to like cubes and high compression. I would post the dyno but I am not a supporting member so I can't post an attachment!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 PM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

How much tq and hp have you made?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:46 PM
HRTBRCR
Drifting

Default King

Originally Posted by FunCool
Thank's, I think when I'm done 700 rwh and 800rwt is possible!! Bigger cam 242/250 640 lift 114, 2 inch headers, 3 inch mufflers, 2.5 inch blower pulley, take off the cat's and finally tune the car!!!
got the hint ??
Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 PM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HRTBRCR
got the hint ??
look's like you need a drink!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 AM
LB
Melting Slicks

Did funcool pay this guy to post that
Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 AM
gorillavet
Drifting

How much tq and hp have you made?
610/550 with a very conservative tune.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 AM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by LB
Did funcool pay this guy to post that
Nope, I don't even know who "funcool" is.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 AM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by American_HP@Total Perf
But the claims that everyone said are exactly true..

You got 14.3 rwhp and 7.1lbft of torque per pound of boost. Not to mention significantly higher intake temps. Your blower was putting down less than 50% of what any other blower should put out..
Wow gone a few days and the experts come out.
If you were a physician would you make a diagnosis without seeing the patient or reviewing any test? I hope not but perhaps I didn't give you enough information to make a knowledgeable comment.
Could I have gotten more hp and torque from seven pounds of boost. Absolutely, to the tune of 24.2 rwhp at best pull but I requested a very conservative tune on pump gas.
This is NOT a blower motor and I guess I didn't make that real clear. With changes to the internals and lowering the compression I am confident I could have seen over 700rwhp but sadly the funds just were not there for that expense.
I see you are a dealer/tuner, so you better than anyone should know about longevity and driveability. I certainly hope your not one of those tuners that goes for the highest numbers at all cost. We have a few around here and while the owner is thrilled with his numbers he is looking for a new motor in about 12 months. I want a dependable set up that I can drive with confidence and will last me a long time. Frankly, for a non blower motor and a relatively small blower I was very pleased with the results.
Since you haven't seen any of my tables I guess you are assuming my IAT's are high. You will be happy to know they are not and only slightly above the N/A runs. So far I am very pleased with my results and would do it again. Hope I was more clear this time.

Last edited by gorillavet; 01-21-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 AM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

610/550 with a very conservative tune.
Very nice!!!!! All I know is if you had the same mod's as me on your motor, it would be scary!!! I would guess 720rwh and 850rwt on 16lbs of boost with alky!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Very nice!!!!! All I know is if you had the same mod's as me on your motor, it would be scary!!! I would guess 720rwh and 850rwt on 16lbs of boost with alky!!!
If I had the funds to change this 427 to a "blower" motor with the right cam....yes my tuner felt the mid seven's were possible. Just don't have the funds to redo the motor. I will eventually move to meth/alky injection and will see mid 6's very easily with eight pounds of boost.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Talk all the **** you want, but facts are facts..

1) Its been proven a 1.8L Maggie on a large cid motor is NOT efficient.

2) PD blowers have MUCH higher IAT's PERIOD......

3) EVERYONE who has low numbers ALWAYS says: Conservative tune, I wanted it safe, Much more in it, cold outside, hot outside, dyno reads low...etc etc etc...

I'm not saying ANYTHING negative about you or your setup, nor am I saying its been set up wrong. All I am saying, is that your claims that everyone was wrong in their FACTS that a 1.8L maggie is inefficient, is incorrect.
Cause if they were, then P1's on stock 347's wouldnt be be making more power than your 427 w/ a maggie.

Wow gone a few days and the experts come out.
If you were a physician would you make a diagnosis without seeing the patient or reviewing any test? I hope not but perhaps I didn't give you enough information to make a knowledgeable comment.
Could I have gotten more hp and torque from seven pounds of boost. Absolutely, to the tune of 24.2 rwhp at best pull but I requested a very conservative tune on pump gas.
This is NOT a blower motor and I guess I didn't make that real clear. With changes to the internals and lowering the compression I am confident I could have seen over 700rwhp but sadly the funds just were not there for that expense.
I see you are a dealer/tuner, so you better than anyone should know about longevity and driveability. I certainly hope your not one of those tuners that goes for the highest numbers at all cost. We have a few around here and while the owner is thrilled with his numbers he is looking for a new motor in about 12 months. I want a dependable set up that I can drive with confidence and will last me a long time. Frankly, for a non blower motor and a relatively small blower I was very pleased with the results.
Since you haven't seen any of my tables I guess you are assuming my IAT's are high. You will be happy to know they are not and only slightly above the N/A runs. So far I am very pleased with my results and would do it again. Hope I was more clear this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Largest engine with maggie 112?

Old 01-21-2008, 04:14 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by American_HP@Total Perf
Talk all the **** you want, but facts are facts..

1) Its been proven a 1.8L Maggie on a large cid motor is NOT efficient.

2) PD blowers have MUCH higher IAT's PERIOD......

3) EVERYONE who has low numbers ALWAYS says: Conservative tune, I wanted it safe, Much more in it, cold outside, hot outside, dyno reads low...etc etc etc...

I'm not saying ANYTHING negative about you or your setup, nor am I saying its been set up wrong. All I am saying, is that your claims that everyone was wrong in their FACTS that a 1.8L maggie is inefficient, is incorrect.
Cause if they were, then P1's on stock 347's wouldnt be be making more power than your 427 w/ a maggie.
Your not saying anything negative Talkin ****, everyone who has low numbers always says,Geez...what do you say when you are going negative!
First of all it's a two liter blower if my calculations are correct and yes they were wrong in the assumption it would "huff out".. And yes I can set it up to outpower most of the centri guys but that was not my goal. Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth. By the way I noticed you seem to be a dealer for ANOTHER blower....now this wouldn't be influencing your comments.
That is why I just love this forum....no matter what you post....someone somewhere will find fault with it. Sorry I even tried to help this gentleman.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 PM
yotaman96
Intermediate

My thread has been hijacked.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:28 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

My thread has been hijacked.
Sorry dude...I was just trying to give you some perspective. I will move on

Quick Reply: Largest engine with maggie 112?