C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a recap of what's needed for the conversion the way I did it.

From the 08&^ donor vehicle transmission and differential

from any C6, the cradle, lower control arms and spring.

You can skip the lower control arms and spring purchase if you use coilovers in the rear.

The sway bar can be reused from your C5, although the C6Z and ZR1 sway bars are rated for higher loads.

You'll reuse the shift shaft from the C5

Cut your exhaust over the axles 2.5" and shorten it down below, in front by the same.

and get some offset mounts to make up the difference between the mounting points of the cradle vs the differential with your new setup.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good, what about the torque tube from the donor car, can that be used and avoid the differential mounts?

I would have to reweld the location of the shifter?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by HighlanderX
Good, what about the torque tube from the donor car, can that be used and avoid the differential mounts?

I would have to reweld the location of the shifter?

Thanks
That's a road that I haven't traveled down and I believe the 09&^ have differences that won't allow them to work regardless, but I'm not 100% on that one.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Guess I will find out

Because, if the torque tube works and everything I wont need the offset bushings nor the mods to the mufflers.

As a matter of fact. I am pretty dang sure that if I even put the bell housing everything should bolt up so nicely in there its stupid and then, I would be able to have my zr1 clutch in a c5 z06
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Updates on my setup.... Everything bolted up. I did have to cut and weld the mufflers. In all... I believe that if the offset bushings were not available this is the way to go... if they are available I would do the offset bushings.... A lot simpler with the shifter and things end up where they should.

The big advantage of my setup is the ability to use the newer torque tube... but I think its the same thing anyways. And since the Katech clutches can be installed in the c5. I see no real gain other than a "factory" look installation.

Since you would have to weld the mufflers anyways, it doesn't matter if its 3" or 1.5".

Still... I am a happy camper with everything...
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
SPDKNGG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick write up BLOWNBLUEZ06!!

So I thought I was the only one that worked on the vette while I sleep..lol
Good stuff man and wow what a job. Looks like fun. wish you lived closer, i would have loved to help!
Congrats on the new setup..hopefully she holds up.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDKNGG
Sick write up BLOWNBLUEZ06!!

So I thought I was the only one that worked on the vette while I sleep..lol
Good stuff man and wow what a job. Looks like fun. wish you lived closer, i would have loved to help!
Congrats on the new setup..hopefully she holds up.
Thanks. It's held up well so far.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Here's a full setup for sale if anyone's ready for one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...5900-00-a.html
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Remove about .5" of material from the cradle under the RHS diff cover
Old 12-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Remove about .5" of material from the cradle under the RHS diff cover
Pictures are courtesy of Rick at RKT56

Old 12-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

When using a rear leaf spring is it normal for it to touch the differential when the spring is unloaded?

Mine looks like it is touching... can't get a piece of paper between it and the differential.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Yes
Old 12-08-2013, 12:41 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
Pictures are courtesy of Rick at RKT56

I am going to check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:05 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by The Highlander
Yes
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

She is on the ground and I can confirm that the spring no longer touches the diff.

Next question is about ride height. To get the car low enough I had to use the c6 lowering bolts. This is a picture with the ride height maxed out. Since, I have lowered the car so the gap between wheel and fender is about 2.5 inches. Should I expect the car to sit higher than it did before even at the bolts lowest setting?

Last edited by Chrisrokc; 12-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Looks like even at the bolts lowest setting in the rear it is still higher than it was with the C5 Cradle/Spring. That ends up being OKAY since I am about to run a slightly taller tire (NT05R).

For those that want to go lower on a lower profile tire you might consider coilovers. I almost went that direction, but my pocket book started to feel the hurt between this and Christmas.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Got the exhaust on (went with tigershark).

Been driving it around a little trying to get the clutch broke in and I notice a few things. Let me know if this sounds normal?

- At idle, clutch peddle out and out of gear, it makes a a whirling noise with a slight chatter. It's not TOO loud, but definitely louder than before. The noise goes away if I push the clutch peddle in. Still seems to be there when driving and in gear.

- Sometimes when letting out on the clutch to move forward or reverse, the car makes a noise that sounds like wheel hop. That the best way I can explain it. There is no wheel hop as I am not taking off fast. It doesn't feel like wheel hop either. Doesn't feel abnormal either.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???

Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I presume you went with solid couplers in the torque tube. The noise you here is spinning of the shaft that use to be reduced by the rubber couplings, I got the same noise in my Z06. The noise stops when you depress the clutch in because your drive shaft stops spinning.

Got the exhaust on (went with tigershark).

Been driving it around a little trying to get the clutch broke in and I notice a few things. Let me know if this sounds normal?

- At idle, clutch peddle out and out of gear, it makes a a whirling noise with a slight chatter. It's not TOO loud, but definitely louder than before. The noise goes away if I push the clutch peddle in. Still seems to be there when driving and in gear.

- Sometimes when letting out on the clutch to move forward or reverse, the car makes a noise that sounds like wheel hop. That the best way I can explain it. There is no wheel hop as I am not taking off fast. It doesn't feel like wheel hop either. Doesn't feel abnormal either.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

I think I figured out this one. I had a local shop install the catback and they had the muffler in the hangers wrong. Because of this the mufflers could move when the engine shuttered on takeoff. Installed the hangers right, no more wheel hop sound (so far).

I am still running the stock rubber bushings in the torque tube. I took it completely apart for an inspection. Everything looked good. Maybe it is because of my clutch? (McLeod RXT) Maybe it is because of the stiffer transmission mounts?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

AH, yes, you installed the Pfadt mount that has less noise isolation than the stock tranny mounts have. It's kind of like sticking a screwdriver to one end of something and listening with your ear kind of noise. Without the rubber insulation (dampner) being their all of noise is be transmitted through the torque tube.
You'll get use to it.

Quick Reply: Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???