C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boost or nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Zo6orBust
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default boost or nitrous?

just got an 04 zo6 car has bolt ons currently. goal power is around 550-600 on the ls6. had a procharger on an fbody before and the maintenance and reliability of the system was not ideal.. thought i might give it another shot but have been really thinking of a nice h/c setup with a 125 shot... the nitrous setup seems to be less of a headache but what are your guys experiences?? car will be more of a roll on car with a little track time here and there....forgot to mention that it gets really hot here in vegas 115 in the summer!! is detonation gonna be an issue? i have to use my a/c about 1/2 of the year with the dry heat we have here as well

Last edited by Zo6orBust; 05-10-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Im gonna try to help you out from my personal experience.

I had a forged motor with a great heads and cam setup with every nitrous goodies available. I find it extremely inconvenient most of the time due to having to fill the bottles, wait for pressure, ect... I even had my own nitrous refill station and It just got old after a while.

I am now doing a Twin Turbo build and Im thinking it will be much more convenient. With FI your power is always there and you dont have to wait for anything.

With your goals of 550-600 a supercharger system will probably be your easiest and best bet. A & A and ECS both have great systems using the Vortech and Paxton units. Depending on where your at, Im sure there may be a reputable shop that offer procharger packages.

Others will chime in and give different viewpoints but this has been my experience so far.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

There's a guy in our vette club here in AZ running a H/C setup with a 100 shot and puts down 571rwhp all day. The biggest problem is the bottle needing to be filled before going out to play. Not really a big deal to a lot of us, but FI eliminates the need to "maintain" the system.

I tell you that car gets the hell out when he hits the kit.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Zo6orBust
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drewstein
There's a guy in our vette club here in AZ running a H/C setup with a 100 shot and puts down 571rwhp all day. The biggest problem is the bottle needing to be filled before going out to play. Not really a big deal to a lot of us, but FI eliminates the need to "maintain"
the system.

I tell you that car gets the hell out when he hits the kit.

Bottles aren't a big deal...I can always keep a spare around.. I was also thinkin that by not always running the car with the bottle the motor might not go through as much hell as a blower setup where its always there...cause I will be running a stock ls6 bottom end
Old 05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

My CAM and bolt-ons
G5X3 Cam
LG Pro headers, NO CATS, Stock ZO6 mufflers.
Every bolt-on
3.73 gear
SS 3600 TC
STOCK un-ported LS1 (improved springs for cam) HEADS
STOCK A4 Trans
150 NOS Plate Wet Shot... runs 10.40's -10.50's down here in the humid south.

Full interior including the A/C and stereo. WITH a 6 point roll bar. So the car is just about 150lbs. heavier than normal.

The above has been done repeatedly and I am on stock injectors and stock fuel system. No fuel additives, just gas station high test.
To be fair, I run slicks and skinnies not stock tires by any means.

I chose the Nitrous because I simply can't afford the blower. Of course I only use the cars capability at the track so using the Nitrous was financially the way for me to go. You also must trust your tuner, IMHO I have the best right here in South Florida.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:35 PM
98vettedave
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nitrous Bob
My CAM and bolt-ons
G5X3 Cam
LG Pro headers, NO CATS, Stock ZO6 mufflers.
Every bolt-on
3.73 gear
SS 3600 TC
STOCK un-ported LS1 (improved springs for cam) HEADS
STOCK A4 Trans
150 NOS Plate Wet Shot... runs 10.40's -10.50's down here in the humid south.

Full interior including the A/C and stereo. WITH a 6 point roll bar. So the car is just about 150lbs. heavier than normal.

The above has been done repeatedly and I am on stock injectors and stock fuel system. No fuel additives, just gas station high test.
To be fair, I run slicks and skinnies not stock tires by any means.

I chose the Nitrous because I simply can't afford the blower. Of course I only use the cars capability at the track so using the Nitrous was financially the way for me to go. You also must trust your tuner, IMHO I have the best right here in South Florida.
My car is very similar when it comes to the optional equipment,and with a six point roll bar so the weight of the cars should be about the same.However,I do run a 383 stroker with a upgraded fuel system for safety...see my sig for mods.The engine puts down 605/587 at the wheels(latest tune)with a 175 shot.

Nitrous is a better set up for running WOT in hot weather.A FI car will lose a lot more HP/TQ than a nitrous car in those weather conditions. When it comes to comparing apples to apples a nitrous car with equal HP/TQ to a FI car will win that race every time due to the instant torque generated by the nitrous hit.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zo6orBust
Bottles aren't a big deal...I can always keep a spare around.. I was also thinkin that by not always running the car with the bottle the motor might not go through as much hell as a blower setup where its always there...cause I will be running a stock ls6 bottom end
If you don't think they're a big deal then go for it.

I run both lol.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 AM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

150 shot FTW .

The extra power is there when you need it ,, not 24/7 .

A daily driven FI car can get anoying on long trips as well as stop lights in the afternoon coming home from work with a headache .

Get a Nano system and you wont have to wait for a bottle warmer to heat up the bottle.

Throw on a set of electric cutouts and you have a daily driven wicked nasty genie in a bottle , at any time you wish .
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Zo6orBust
Instructor

Originally Posted by zoomz
150 shot FTW .

The extra power is there when you need it ,, not 24/7 .

A daily driven FI car can get anoying on long trips as well as stop lights in the afternoon coming home from work with a headache .

Get a Nano system and you wont have to wait for a bottle warmer to heat up the bottle.

Throw on a set of electric cutouts and you have a daily driven wicked nasty genie in a bottle , at any time you wish .
thanks guys i appreciate the input.... lol what bottle warmer its 115 out here in the summer
Old 05-12-2009, 02:57 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys i appreciate the input.... lol what bottle warmer its 115 out here in the summer
Very true , its constantly 90-95 here in fla which puts me right in the 1200 psi range when i get off work
Old 05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Can't run out of BOOST it wont go empty and you will not need to refill it

BOOST is easier on parts (Unless you use a progressive Nitrous system)!

IMHO! Only!

Thanks,Matt
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

H/C + nitrous ftw!! lay out all the boosted guys no problem.

I plan to hit mine again. #s to come soon.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:42 PM
et1199
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will still need a warmer sometimes. i ran a 100 shot on my 99 t/a and had to put a warmer on it. the pressure wasnt constant (im sure it was during the day int eh summer, but certainly not during the winter, at night, etc). im in az.

btw, i had a single turbo on the car after the nitrous. for me, i prefer the turbo. love the sound. love the power always being there anytime i want it.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Both? I think I will ultimately end up going this route.

Nitrous is a much bigger headache than boost though. I've had 5 nitrous cars before this boosted car. The bottle need to be at the right temp and not close to empty. You can do a nano kit, but then you need to have that filled too.

You also feel like you are nickle and dimed. That is annoying.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 PM
JET LEE
Racer

Do both....Let the nitrous cool your intake charge.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by user_name
Both? I think I will ultimately end up going this route.

Nitrous is a much bigger headache than boost though. I've had 5 nitrous cars before this boosted car. The bottle need to be at the right temp and not close to empty. You can do a nano kit, but then you need to have that filled too.

You also feel like you are nickle and dimed. That is annoying.
Very well put! I had the nano kit and everything and it is a big headache, IMO. And I absolutely felt nickel'd and dimed
Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 AM
TransAm2002
Pro

Bottle!!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

i have a heads, cam, spray Z06 and here is my take. first off im very **** when it comes to my car so this might not apply to everyone spraying their car. when i go to the track i either go to run NA or spray, here is why. when i run spray i put in BR7EF plug, 104 unleaded in the main tank, and pull 8 degrees of timing. with these three things it kills my NA times. the tune is not a big deal since i take my laptop to the track, but the other two things are. also, there are things like filling the bottles, filling the nano, draining the main tank to fill with 104, buying the 104, buying the 112 (i have a stand alone), testing the noids before i spray (yes im very ****). do i love nitrous? yes, but its becoming more of a hassle than its worth. next year im either going stock cubes with a F1A or a high comp. 440 with all the bells and wistles.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 AM
boosted 98
Intermediate

I have had good luck with my novi 2000 and spray is ok but again the super charger is there all the time .Seen a few mishaps with nitrous and it hard to get to the harness . good luck with ur disc . jon

Last edited by boosted 98; 05-15-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To boost or nitrous?

Quick Reply: boost or nitrous?