C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing fuel pressure drop

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Need help diagnosing fuel pressure drop

I have a '01 vette with stock fuel pump, Racetronics harness and a 40 amp KB BAP. My gauge is the SPA duel boost/fuel pressure unit.

On occasion my fuel pressure drops from a normal 61 psi to about 54 psi when cruising. It seems to be happening more frequently, to the point that I don't want to go into boost. I have the Innovate LC-1 with XD-16 A/F gauge and don't see any change in the A/F reading when it drops while cruising, but the cars computer could be compensating for the drop. My battery voltage remains in the normal range when the fuel pressure drops. Also, if I pull over and turn off the car and immediately restart it the fuel pressure returns to normal.

Since it is intermittent it is hard to diagnose because when I restart the car the fuel pressure returns to normal. Any suggestions what might be the cause?

Is this symptomatic of:

- Fuel pump going bad?
- Fuel pressure sending unit going bad?
- Racetronix harness relay going bad?

Last edited by 01vetter; 08-03-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 01vetter
I have a '01 vette with stock fuel pump, Racetronics harness and a 40 amp KB BAP. My gauge is the SPA duel boost/fuel pressure unit.

On occasion my fuel pressure drops from a normal 61 psi to about 54 psi when cruising. It seems to be happening more frequently, to the point that I don't want to go into boost. I have the Innovate LC-1 with XD-16 A/F gauge and don't see any change in the A/F reading when it drops while cruising, but the cars computer could be compensating for the drop. My battery voltage remains in the normal range when the fuel pressure drops. Also, if I pull over and turn off the car and immediately restart it the fuel pressure returns to normal.

Since it is intermittent it is hard to diagnose because when I restart the car the fuel pressure returns to normal. Any suggestions what might be the cause?

Is this symptomatic of:

- Fuel pump going bad?
- Fuel pressure sending unit going bad?
- Racetronix harness relay going bad?
When I first put a supercharger on my 98 C5 MANY years ago, I needed an LPE pump and boost-a-pump to hold proper pressure with just shy of 500 RWHP. The first thing I would do is get rid of the stock pump, it's not designed for what you're asking of it...

Good luck!!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Sending a PM
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I had an Autometer EFPG that would read low when the sending unit got heat soaked.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
When I first put a supercharger on my 98 C5 MANY years ago, I needed an LPE pump and boost-a-pump to hold proper pressure with just shy of 500 RWHP. The first thing I would do is get rid of the stock pump, it's not designed for what you're asking of it...

Good luck!!
Thanks for the suggestion. My fuel pump with BAP seems to put out sufficient fuel pressure for my boost level (7 psi). My Tuner (Slowhawk) said that my setup was sufficient.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I had an Autometer EFPG that would read low when the sending unit got heat soaked.
Good suggestion. It does seem to happen when the engine is hot.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
That's pretty much what my PM centered on. My SPA boost/vacuum sender appears to get this as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help diagnosing fuel pressure drop

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing fuel pressure drop