C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on STS turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Thoughts on STS turbo kit?

Hi there everyone. What are your thoughts, experiences, etc on an STS kit (base model)? What's its potential? What can you tell me about them.

Thank you
Old 04-19-2011, 06:06 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

There are better options IMO.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 PM
01z0666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
by far...
Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Waste of $$, wouldn't put it on my car for free. Running charge pipes from the back of the car forward is retarded.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

overpriced comes to mind and like Doug said better options.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert but after reading several threads on FI & NA performance mods the same question is usually asked "it depends on your goals". I have an STS kit that I'm putting on my car. I'm not tracking my car...it's just a street machine.

Jay Leno's comments resonate with me when he's driving a 2005 C6 STS TT

"...how often can your really drive fast, if a car is not entertaining to drive...then what is it?"

Hopefully Scubanme will chime in on this. He's done some really good things with this kit.

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I'm a happy ECS customer and their customer support is awesome. If I was going SC then I would buy their kit.

btw...Doug, I hope you'll still tune my car?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 AM
2bridges
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

extremely compromised design at best.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I love it. I have no experience with other kits or superchargers. I'm putting over 670 rwhp to the ground on a 383 the car is a beast and sounds great.

Good luck with your search.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
JRLedFoot (06-18-2016)
Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 PM
BMERETR
Keep The Shiny Sine Up
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone has his or her favorite setup, but the kit works well for me
I have the stock turbo’s but did do meth and upgraded the return oil pump and had a local tuner work there mojo on the tune
The car puts down a good 600rwhp
At 10 psi of boost
I run the car on many of our local road courses and like how the car feels real smooth no major blasts of UN predictable power
Probably not what the 1/4 mile people want the only thing I can say is once you finally decide on the setup for you do not second guess your choice, all fi setups have challenges and their own issues
So just, enjoy your project to its fullest and be safe
I have had mine boosted since 2005
JRLedFoot (06-18-2016)
Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

25,000 STS TT miles. Love mine. Perfect for me. Wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

If your car is 100% stock and for sure in your mind never ever going to do any more. Go for it and have fun with it. But most of us guys once you go to the dark side it is like drugs, MORE NEED MORE. Then it will be almost a waste of $$. Get something that you can upgrade with very little time and money and will not have to pull 100% of the kit off and have to sale it. Also a kit that has been proven to do all that you will ever want. Just my 2 cents.... You will save a ton of money this way Just ask me how I know...... Robert
Old 04-20-2011, 04:23 PM
0chris@sfcc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awkward design, decent performance, slightly more expensive for the potential vs a centri kit. A good choice for a lot of people: capable of returning the car back to stock without buying a new cradle, or other pieces iirc.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Its a nice kit for a stock car. They install is pretty clean and they make ok power. If you want to upgrade to more power or eventually go forged I would just do the TTiX kit and be done or send the car to LPE..
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM
TheBigDog
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

4 words "do not do it"...go with TTi

The Big Dog
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 AM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

TTi. 4 words "do not do it". Go with STS TT.

The Chihuahua
Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

I've had my STS kit on for over 40,000 miles and I have also made alot of changes over the years. The main thing about the STS kit is make sure you get a good oil scavange pump. On the stock kit I made 640 hp and 680tq. to the wheels. I up-graded my turbos with some housing work and new compressor wheels and now making even more hp and about the same spool rate. I thnk this kit could be used without an intercooler if you are running meth. My air intake temps are always very low.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

Originally Posted by mig1980
Hi there everyone. What are your thoughts, experiences, etc on an STS kit (base model)? What's its potential? What can you tell me about them.

Thank you
I had the STS kit and it was the most reliable fun car I ever had. I had it at 7 lbs of boost on a stock 02 z06 and then went forged 402 and turned the boost up to 14lbs and then rode in a 1000 hp car and thought I just had to switchover. I did switchover to an 840 rwhp beastly Ysi setup....BIG MISTAKE. Problem after problem after problem, upgrade this, new catchcan this, new flipdrive this, alignment issue this.... Nothing but craploads of money wasted. Oh sure the horsepower delivery is great....but get ready cuz you can't use what your tires can't hold grip to, oh and if you get traction get ready for all the driveline costs you might encounter...halfshafts, input shaft, clutch...blah blah blah. I drove my STS more in 1 month than I drove my supercharged setup in 1 year! If you want reliabilty, traction, abilty to adjust boost on the fly, no freakin belt problems and just plain NO headaches....I suggest STS. I regret EVER going the SC route. Good luck
JRLedFoot (06-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on STS turbo kit?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoody66
I had the STS kit and it was the most reliable fun car I ever had. I had it at 7 lbs of boost on a stock 02 z06 and then went forged 402 and turned the boost up to 14lbs and then rode in a 1000 hp car and thought I just had to switchover. I did switchover to an 840 rwhp beastly Ysi setup....BIG MISTAKE. Problem after problem after problem, upgrade this, new catchcan this, new flipdrive this, alignment issue this.... Nothing but craploads of money wasted. Oh sure the horsepower delivery is great....but get ready cuz you can't use what your tires can't hold grip to, oh and if you get traction get ready for all the driveline costs you might encounter...halfshafts, input shaft, clutch...blah blah blah. I drove my STS more in 1 month than I drove my supercharged setup in 1 year! If you want reliabilty, traction, abilty to adjust boost on the fly, no freakin belt problems and just plain NO headaches....I suggest STS. I regret EVER going the SC route. Good luck
Since you did all of this why didnt you just lower the boost down to what the STS was and not look back at doing all the other stuff. I have never had a belt problem with YSI set up on my car and still on the first belt. You have to get the pulleys lined up correct are you will go thur the belts, and that is true with anything that has a belt on it...
Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

Default Good times

Originally Posted by robert miller
Since you did all of this why didnt you just lower the boost down to what the STS was and not look back at doing all the other stuff. I have never had a belt problem with YSI set up on my car and still on the first belt. You have to get the pulleys lined up correct are you will go thur the belts, and that is true with anything that has a belt on it...
Hey Robert....I wish I couldve. That unit wouldve been way out in left field..I wouldve had to downgrade. It was just a mess from the get go and the only people that enjoyed it was those that I bought from or those I paid to work on it. My heads still spinning. Bret bought my unit so hopefully it will work out for someone else. Now I have to sell my flip drive, fuel system and whatever else supporting crap I had to pay big for. I'm going back to the turbo route and will make a 9xx time before you know it.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM
tony75A
Advanced

I did one on my f-body and the fit wasn't the best, I think with any kit there is going to be fitment issues. I sorted out almost all of it, I like things perfect. I bought mine used with upgraded a turbo, scavenge pump and -10 lines for $2,000. I wouldn't buy a new one, but used you can get them really cheap. I've seen used kits go for less than $2,000 and sometimes people throw in the injectors and or gauges. If you are good at fabricating you could make your own kit.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on STS turbo kit?