C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,106 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by a/c man
Nice try the 28s slow mine down from 2nd to 3rd too! but they really help me hook in the 60ft! So here we go with MPH tells rwhp! sound like you r making 700-750 dynos lie!
Yes, it's not showing any power right now. If I hit 4th correctly and it ran 140-141, that's only showing 700-750rwhp.. Sux but that's what it is... That's racing a stick car for ya.. Until you get everything right and and drive it right...

But yes, I'm way off on power as far as the track is concerned.. I have dynoed it on two dynos and it made over 830hp on both of them so.... I know the power is there, I just have to apply it..

I wish it was as easy as your auto car, point it and floor it.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Forgot to mention, that clutch will settle down after a few passes. I had it in the car at 630-672hp, and it bit the first couple times I tried to slip it. It came around real nice after 2000 miles and my first hit with the 402. Just something to think about.
The clutch actually felt pretty good. On the first pass it grabbed on me and I kicked it back in (as seen in the vid) to keep from breaking ****.. The next pass I dropped 2 tenths on the 60', the third pass it dropped another .05 on the 60'.. And honestly, I was not really concentrating on launching hard at all, I really didn't even care about the ET, I was just looking for MPH... The car really did better on the front half then I intended but, yes the 1/8 mph was about 3-4 off, easily explainable from the soft 330' and slow 1-2, 2-3 shifts. The 28" M&Hs really worked awesome at the track, barely hazed them on one pass and that they stuck..

The car definitely has potential, I just have to drive it better. The car ran flawless, had no weird quirks or issues (other then the TCS/ABS).. Only tool I touched all night was a socket to take the air filter off...this car has been very reliable, ran really clean/crisp down the track and the data logs show the tune to be spot on...it's making good boost, no detectable belt slip and the clutch/hydraulics feel great....

I just need some practice on a good track, no crowds and on a 26-27" tire..

The gear spread on the M12 is great for the first 3 gears BUT, there is a big drop from 3rd to 4th, going into 4th around 98 mph... All my shifts are before the 1/8th... The big gap in the 3-4 shift combined with the 28s is not productive for 4th....

I would love to let you make a pass in it next time out... Or get Danny G to drive it in San Antonio if we get a rental.

Next time it comes out, it will be on a drag pack, 26", and on a good track.

For now I am just going to enjoy driving the car, hit some cruises, shows and have fun with it. The car was down for 8 months, I wasn't intending on whoring it out on the strip with this build, just a few trips per year.. I just wanted to see where it's at right now..

I am open to all tips/suggestions for getting it to run some numbers with the stick without breaking a bunch of stuff..

Also any info on shifters or preferences/experience on them is appreciated... This b&m is just too freakin notchy. This is a fresh built m12 with all the usual upgrades so its fine, just real tight. The old tranny shifted tight as hell too...same shifter.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Yes, it's not showing any power right now. If I hit 4th correctly and it ran 140-141, that's only showing 700-750rwhp.. Sux but that's what it is... That's racing a stick car for ya.. Until you get everything right and and drive it right...

But yes, I'm way off on power as far as the track is concerned.. I have dynoed it on two dynos and it made over 830hp on both of them so.... I know the power is there, I just have to apply it..

I wish it was as easy as your auto car, point it and floor it.
yes auto is way easy but I still have to peddle it and it breaks loose in 2nd so I'm loosing mph and time too my point here is you really cant call someone out on their rwhp based on the mph in the 1/4 these cars are freaks and really hard to go fast when you start getting good at the track you get the boot! so all that being said I did see my car make (5) 900+rwhp pulls on a dyno jet! but it traps 145? also I have never made a clean pass EVER!! crazy but true

your car makes 900 too but your rw TQ is more than mine and autos dyno less!

looks like you hooked great and the shifts were ok!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

What about some 3.73s? You can't expect 145mph and 9 sec times with passes like that. More practice good track and cant be afraid to blow a diff or tranny. You need a good 60' and great shifts. The car will do it but you got to put something on the table.

Last edited by SBCGENII; 12-08-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:16 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
What about some 3.73s? You can't expect 145mph and 9 sec times with passes like that. More practice good track and cant be afraid to blow a diff or tranny. You need a good 60' and great shifts. The car will do it but you got to put something on the table.
Gears are not the answer to 1000hp true street vettes IMO. Not where we live with TX2K, Texas Mile, Houston Mile, TI, etc. As, Alan mentioned, the M12 sucks gearing wise. I've had one, with a cam running 11's, and the car fell flat on his face even at 435rwhp in 4th gear.

He will get there. With his power, you don't need great shifts, just decent ones. Like you said, the 60'ft has to be there though. I've granny shifted my C6 to mid/high 9 second passes in full street trim. Alan will get there, soon.

Last edited by winters97gt; 12-09-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:51 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Just watched the video.

Alan, I see the 4th gear coming on slow with m12. However, those runs were doomed from the launch to 330'. Too fast on the RXT, even for the crappy track.

Only one pass here from the track rental. My best 60ft is here, but not most of my 1.50 average. These are 1.46-1.62 short times with the RXT. I found that riding it hair longer will allow the clutch to slip itself once released.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 208 Posts

[QUOTE=winters97gt;1582521957]Just watched the video.

Alan, I see the 4th gear coming on slow with m12. However, those runs were doomed from the launch to 330'. Too fast on the RXT, even for the crappy track.

Only one pass here from the track rental. My best 60ft is here, but not most of my 1.50 average. These are 1.46-1.62 short times with the RXT. I found that riding it hair longer will allow the clutch to slip itself once released.

Impressive launch work for sure.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A 10:40 is still fast for a stick car that Allen can drive to work
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by a/c man
A 10:40 is still fast for a stick car that Allen can drive to work
$hit.... A 10.40 is crap.. A stock C5z on a 150 shot will run that...

But as I said, I wasn't really trying to launch the car hard, just get it out smooth and get on the gas and test for mph... Unfortunately, screwing up 4th gear shifts is not conducive to good mph.

Ill get it right though.. Drag pack, 26" bias plies, change shifters and get some practice in, hopefully if the track rental happens in Feb, ill get it to run some numbers.... Also I will be revving 3rd much higher next trip out to help with the 4th gear drop...

3 passes is just not enough to figure anything out with it, let alone learn to drive it... I'm not sure it has 150mph in it but... I think it will go a solid 145mph with these small changes..
Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Personally I think the ET's are great considering the low MPH due to the difficulties shifting. I am teh slow despite my MPH.

PS: RPR blows. That is all.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Personally I think the ET's are great considering the low MPH due to the difficulties shifting. I am teh slow despite my MPH.

PS: RPR blows. That is all.
you can say that again. i should have stopped at SAR instead.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Here is the log of the 10.41 pass... Notice I have some weird crap going on at the top of each gear as I make the shift, you can see the rpms drop/climb eventhough the TPS is still 100%...Maybe the clutch going in before coming off the gas or something but...its weird the rpms drop...

Also, you can see the mph climb stall at the top of each gear when shifting and even drop... It actually loses 2 mph on each shift..... On the 4th gear shift it took 1.0 secs to make the shift, speed was stalled at that point for that whole length of time. The actual MPH in HPT was off due to the 28" tires, it was about 7 mph slow or so.

I made the 3-4 shift at 6454rpms and the rpms dropped to 4617 rpms in 4th. It seems like once it finally gets into 4th it pulls steady but not as hard as it should be, it only seems to gain about 30 mph in 4th.

Yes it had *1.5 KR in 4th, I think it was induced by the crappy shift somehow, it did not do this on the other pass...I dont think it hurt it much though.

Interesting stuff to say the least... Front half mph was off by 3-4 and I could easily see that from the soft launch and easy shifts but.... I think it should have done more in 4th gear for sure, especially for the power it makes.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I have seen weird stuff like that when enabling ETC as an RPM cutoff method. Lost a ton of time/speed when I did that once.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

I think your car did good AJ. Way too hard on yourself.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM
outlawdart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job on build and Driving. Just a suggestion,,, People I seen have a hard time shiting is because of how you grip the shifter, and what kind of **** it has on it. Hand on top of a ball type shifter works for most that have trouble stabbing 3rd or 5th.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawdart
Great job on build and Driving. Just a suggestion,,, People I seen have a hard time shiting is because of how you grip the shifter, and what kind of **** it has on it. Hand on top of a ball type shifter works for most that have trouble stabbing 3rd or 5th.
You watch people ****
Old 12-11-2012, 11:36 PM
outlawdart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO only the ones that have corn for dinner. Damn that was a classic typo.

Get notified of new replies

To Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car

Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I think your car did good AJ. Way too hard on yourself.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 AM
02402ramair
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With my Textrailia triple disk I had a hard time shifting fast. I ended up going back to a stock shifter for more leverage. I think it was a C6 shifter though. It solved the shifting problem and I could darn near shift on the floor. I would just barley lift. Never had the ***** to keep it on the floor plus barley lifting would shut the nitrous off for the shift.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 02402ramair
With my Textrailia triple disk I had a hard time shifting fast. I ended up going back to a stock shifter for more leverage. I think it was a C6 shifter though. It solved the shifting problem and I could darn near shift on the floor. I would just barley lift. Never had the ***** to keep it on the floor plus barley lifting would shut the nitrous off for the shift.
Yeah I've thought about the shifter leverage thing. It's definitely a seating position/hand grip/strength thing I believe.

This tranny has always been insanely tight, but its always had the b&m ripper on it.. Even after I rebuilt the tranny it was tight, even tighter. Bret even noticed it when he drove it. I'm going to try the "anti-venom mod" since its cheap and see if it helps with the notchiness. If not, I'll go to a MGM with a longer stick for leverage.

I had a short throw Pro 5.0 shifter on my stock t56 in my Tran Am and after the tick MC went in, I could full on power shift all 3 shifts and never miss.. That was at 550rwhp. I have a Tick MC in this z06 and Bret set the clutch clearance up just right...it easily gets full disengagement... Clutch feels awesome.

I really enjoy driving a stick on the street, and I'd hate to spend $10k on an auto swap BUT... I'm not gonna have a 850- 900hp car that's not running the numbers... Especially the mph it should be..... Anything less then 145 is unacceptable..

One way or another ill figure this $hit out.... Ill work on the shifting, going back to a 26" tire and if I have to, I'll take it to San Antonio and pay Danny's a$$ to run this thing to show me what it should do with the driver mod...

If anyone needs any 325/45/17 M&H Racemasters with 10 miles/3 passes on them, let me know. They are coming off of the wheels today.

Quick Reply: Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car