C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best intercooler LIQUID or AIR

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Assassinx1
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Whats the best intercooler LIQUID or AIR

Hi guys I have a vortech Liquid to air intorcooler that came with my vortech. Supossidly these are better because the discharge piping to and from the cooler its shorter so it better responce. But most corvette kits come with air to air. Should I sell this intercooler which would go above the engine and use about 2 feet of piping and plumbing coolant. And buy an in front of radiator tpe and use no coolant just cold air and 4 feet or so of piping.?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

That original Vortech setup is not the way to go. The water gets heated up and never recovers.
Your question is loaded. For the track, liquid is better. You can ice it down for each pass. For the street, air to air is better because it doesn't get heat soaked so easily. It'll be more consistent.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Assassinx1
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
That original Vortech setup is not the way to go. The water gets heated up and never recovers.
Your question is loaded. For the track, liquid is better. You can ice it down for each pass. For the street, air to air is better because it doesn't get heat soaked so easily. It'll be more consistent.

I like the air to air style better anyway. I was pretty much dead set on selling this intercooler. I dontlike that the intake air will always be in the 200 degree range. At least with air to air its what ever the outside temp is and cooler because of highway speeds. The next question is if I find an intercooler with 2.5 inlet and outlets would this be sufficient. I found a nice god speed one with a blow off valve location. Theres also a WRX one for sale that could tuck away nicley infront of the radiator has anyone tried this?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 831 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

A&A has a well designed intercooler. I bought his system just
for the intercooler. I run the Vortec SC.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 AM
meine96ws6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The procharger one is also great, ran one and got great results
Old 08-16-2012, 02:46 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

I agree, but would add that either system is just as good. The only time either will be bad, if it has been designed and implemented badly ( ie like the factory Vortech piece. But then it is probably ok for the base kit and low power level it was designed for. )

ie, if either setup is too small to deal with the heat and airflow, it will always be a bad system. Wouldnt matter with water or air.

I'd just say that A2A is simpler, lighter and less to go wrong. And cheaper too. Although it does require space to be found at the front of the vehicle for a suitably sized core.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Air to air is the simplest. No leaks or heat soak. Run a little meth under boost and you'll be happy. I use the A&A latest intercooler and it allows plenty of boost and air flow to the radiator.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:12 PM
igtabg1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Godspeed fmic

Originally Posted by Assassinx1
I like the air to air style better anyway. I was pretty much dead set on selling this intercooler. I dontlike that the intake air will always be in the 200 degree range. At least with air to air its what ever the outside temp is and cooler because of highway speeds. The next question is if I find an intercooler with 2.5 inlet and outlets would this be sufficient. I found a nice god speed one with a blow off valve location. Theres also a WRX one for sale that could tuck away nicley infront of the radiator has anyone tried this?
I'd go with the proven a&a intercooler, I have a 08 wrx and most of the subby guys stay away from godspeed products...
Old 08-18-2012, 01:48 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your running meth, then who cares what intercooler you got... it don't make any difference.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
if your running meth, then who cares what intercooler you got... it don't make any difference.
It will if the IC doesnt flow any air.

And an IC that cools means you will be less reliant on meth for cooling.

You should have the best and most efficient IC possible.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Jesus/Chris has been bringing up the water/air topic often, I'm pretty sure this is the answer right here

others, take a look at the A&A IC cores form the past year or 2, I don't know the 'type' or manufacture for the core material, but it's not your typical 'rolled fin' you see in a radiator or IC from years past

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the best intercooler LIQUID or AIR

Quick Reply: Whats the best intercooler LIQUID or AIR