C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where/how are you hiding your wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Where/how are you hiding your wires?

This is for the guy's whom have cleaned up their engine bays...

Just relocated my coils, and ran the plug wires under the headers - nice clean look (IMHO), but now I have these wires standing out on the intake (Alternator power wire specifically). I thought of simply re-routing it under the headers with the Plug wires, but wasnt sure if this would cause any interference and just is this a bad idea. Curious where/how others are doing this...

Thanks,

John
Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Very well done Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few questions:

1)What product did you wrap stuff in? It looks the same as what's on 02 wires.

2) Is is like a split loom so you can slip it on, or do you need to cut the wires to feed it onto them?

3) Any benefit to heat protection?

thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I removed the tape off the stock harness and used a nylon type mesh that was split down the back side
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the compliments guys!

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...10651/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...10652/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...10653/10002/-1

Here's an old thread from when I did this, if anyone wants any ideas please feel free.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tle-nicer.html

As far as he heat goes, it does seem a bit cooler without those plastic covers, but I also have an MCM hood that I would like to think helps draw hot air out.

Mike04, that looks sweet! I like what you did with the fuel rails.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Custom made injector harness, coils relocated to the fenders, alternator wiring lengthened and ran UNDER the motor. Any wiring that was not needed (pollution stuff) was removed..

**NOTE**
Any wiring you relocate under the engine, make sure to put heat sleeving on it, the plastic loom will not protect the radiant header heat and it will toast the wires if they are attached to the cradle...
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a pic of mine during the last round of mods. I turned the injectors towards the elbow so I could better hide the wires. Alt wire and some other misc wires I ran at the back of the engine to hide them. I didn't loom the injector wiring, just fresh tape for ease of diag work if ever needed.

I also hid the coils in the fenders and ran each wire under the headers.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Custom made injector harness, coils relocated to the fenders, alternator wiring lengthened and ran UNDER the motor. Any wiring that was not needed (pollution stuff) was removed..

**NOTE**
Any wiring you relocate under the engine, make sure to put heat sleeving on it, the plastic loom will not protect the radiant header heat and it will toast the wires if they are attached to the cradle...
Looks awesome! Do you have any better pics of the drivers side, showing how you ran the wiring? What pollution stuff did you remove? I removed my air pump and anything associated with it, what about that evap line that runs to the throttle body?

Originally Posted by jmuck
Here's a pic of mine during the last round of mods. I turned the injectors towards the elbow so I could better hide the wires. Alt wire and some other misc wires I ran at the back of the engine to hide them. I didn't loom the injector wiring, just fresh tape for ease of diag work if ever needed.

I also hid the coils in the fenders and ran each wire under the headers.

Looks awesome as well! Any better pics of how you ran your wiring?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks awesome! Do you have any better pics of the drivers side, showing how you ran the wiring? What pollution stuff did you remove? I removed my air pump and anything associated with it, what about that evap line that runs to the throttle body?

Looks awesome as well! Any better pics of how you ran your wiring?
Thanks. All the emissions stuff and related wiring has been cut off the car and harness.

Here's a pic of the driver side. I don't have any showing were I ran the wiring though. The t/body, ect and alt. wire were run with the driver side injector harness. Power wire from the alt. was run down under the washer resi and along the fire wall to the battery. I extended the coil pack harnesses and also ran those along the fire wall.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies and pictures guys... giving me some good ideas of what i want.

What I was able to get accomplished was to relocate the coils, route the plug wires as I wanted (under headers) and get a 4" charge pipe on and went from a 3.85 to 3.7 pulley. I was right at 9.9lbs, not sure what the gains might be - need to schedule a retune.

I will certainly need a phase 2 in order to really get it where I want it... New valve covers, repaint stock rail, and relocate the additional wires, clean up alt bracket and alt, etc..

Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

When you guys say you route the wires "under the headers", are you referring to actually down towards the cradle instead of between the header tubes and into the fenders?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Also, what's the est. length of wire you guys are using for all 8 cylinders. Probably going to order a spool when I return home.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
Also, what's the est. length of wire you guys are using for all 8 cylinders. Probably going to order a spool when I return home.
I just ordered a "make your own" wire kit for an SBC, and put the LT1/LS1 coil ends on in place of the ends that snap on a distributor cap.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

I did not like the way the drivers side wires 'fell' without any sort of mount - so I used the un-used mount to put a bar in place...

then attached wires, no chance they will get burt this way.

Then I routed them under the steering linkage... just ran a screw through the firewall into a mount to keep them in place. Left slack for motor rocking...

On pass side, again, used a unused mount location and kept the wires above the starter wiring - as I have read others state the power lines could cause a mis-fire at high rpms.

jmuck and mike04 - who makes those valve covers? they look really good....
Old 03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
I did not like the way the drivers side wires 'fell' without any sort of mount - so I used the un-used mount to put a bar in place...
Nice work! Where did you end up putting your coils? Did you buy a spool of wire and put your own ends on or is that an SBC kit that you put coil ends on?

Get notified of new replies

To Where/how are you hiding your wires?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:35 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I like how you did your spark plug wires. I have them just like that on my 71'. I prefer wires with 90* ends.

On my Z06, coils are in the fenders but the wires just run straight across the header tubes with straight ends on the wires and black heat socks to hide them.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

This is how I originally intended to put the coils. After I mounted them up, I found that my coil extension harness was not long enough, and rather then spending the time to extend it, I moved the coils inside the fender well... Hind sight, should have just extended the harness.

This is where they ended up...

I then purchased MSD 32073, this is a ls1 universal kit with 90 and straight ends - you cut whichever end and put the coil end on. The 'short' wires are just the right size for where i put the coils if you run the wires under the headers - certainly would have been too short for putting the coils in the fender. There are a few folks (Nastyz28 i think) that will custom make wires for you if you supply the length for $125 - again, hind sight, I would have gone this route...

Tight fit with the Meth feed line in play... but is just fine. Ended up drilling into the fender for two brackets to hold the coils - one small hall under the hood latch and another on the bottom to support the coils.

mounting holes...

lower bracket - just to hold them in place.../stable..

90 bracket for under hood latch

For Pass side, simply used the threaded nut already in place - seemed like there was plenty of room here - some do not like to put them here - but i think your Battery may play a role - I have a full size one now, and it is a little too close for comfort - but luckily my truck is due for a battery, so going to re-use this one and go back to a red-top to get a little smaller battery in the tray.

in terms of relocating the other wires - i was thinking of using the bracket under the header to secure the wires too, hang them a little lower then the plug wires to avoid interference. Again, may do this later. Not sold on the idea yet, but love the look that you guy's have above.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
jmuck and mike04 - who makes those valve covers? they look really good....
Billet Specialties makes the ones I have.

Quick Reply: Where/how are you hiding your wires?