C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all the people who think you need 6 bolt blocks for big boost-step in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The majority of the record breaking dyno numbers posted on forums have more than mean base timing. Wohoo for a pretty graph. Same reason everybody said you couldn't go past 550, then 600, then whatever they say these days on a stock bottom end. I never pushed any water on a stock ls6 with 19psi at redline.

23psi on this TT setup with 4 bolt AFR 225's and whatever stock size ARP's are. Again, not a drop of water pushed, and I have pushed it past the mph it does in the 1/4.

Arun, you do realize an eboost2 will let you have a boost curve just like a centri, right? That's what mine does with everything set to zero. Boost creeps like crazy until I shift.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Andy is local to me. He just built it to see what it could do and run in the local 10.5/radial class. It runs alky so not much nock going to happen with that fuel. I think the combo of small bores and iron block will help it seal better than a aluminum 5.7+ bore engine. Add some aftermarket thick deck heads and larger head studs and I'm sure you can take 4 bolt heads pretty damn far into boost without orings, etc.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
No problem. I ditched the 60's after the first few times they hit 110% IDC with around 650 rwhp. My biggest limitation currently is the 255 in-tank and BAP. I've already bought an external magnafuel pump and ECS fuel hat. I just need to finish buying the rest of the components.

A stock engine needs to err on the side of a little too much fuel capacity and a little less timing if you are running it on 93 octane and methanol injection. I think what is mentioned regarding timing advance in the link I posted is very true. I really believe the cause of many stock LS failures can be related to being greedy with timing and not having enough fuel.
They also messed with cam timing so peak torque went from the 4500-5000 range to 7000.

Something like this:

Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by user_name
The majority of the record breaking dyno numbers posted on forums have more than mean base timing. Wohoo for a pretty graph. Same reason everybody said you couldn't go past 550, then 600, then whatever they say these days on a stock bottom end. I never pushed any water on a stock ls6 with 19psi at redline.

23psi on this TT setup with 4 bolt AFR 225's and whatever stock size ARP's are. Again, not a drop of water pushed, and I have pushed it past the mph it does in the 1/4.

Arun, you do realize an eboost2 will let you have a boost curve just like a centri, right? That's what mine does with everything set to zero. Boost creeps like crazy until I shift.
You know I'm gonna keep busting you guys on Turbo's till I make the switch.

I honestly tried to go over to yoour side-but I think Rob didn't want me switch.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Chris, did you figure out what happened? I thought it was a fuel issue.
I think it was from running low on fuel (1/8 tank). With high boost it got ugly fast and turned my valves into tulips. I've lost 2 motors playing with high boost >20psi.

Originally Posted by Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Maybe you Turbo guys need to pay attention to this?

800 and 1000 rwhp Turbo cars on the dyno showing low duty cycles on 60lb inj only to go the track and scatter?

Just sayin?
Haha well I made it farther down the track than this guy's engine stand.

Yes I'm on 60's and could use more. We pushed it on the dyno but should have been more careful at the track. I got greedy cause I knew I was gonna get kicked.

Here's a nice setup 427 lsx at about 20psi, TH400 making 1000rwhp thru unlocked converter. I would take this anyday over a tiny 5.3L at 30psi.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Why you would do this on a stock bottom end is beyond me.
Because 5.3 motors are so cheap it really doesnt matter ?

If a replacement motor only costs a few hundred $$$...really, why wouldnt you try ?

Plus a smaller bore engine with thicker bores and more meat between cylinders is going to be a better base for big boost.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Because 5.3 motors are so cheap it really doesnt matter ?

If a replacement motor only costs a few hundred $$$...really, why wouldnt you try ?

Plus a smaller bore engine with thicker bores and more meat between cylinders is going to be a better base for big boost.
That's alot of work to be lost on a weak rotating assembly. My stock crank didn't break either, but doesn't do the best job of supporting over 1200hp.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

That's alot of work to be lost on a weak rotating assembly. My stock crank didn't break either, but doesn't do the best job of supporting over 1200hp.
How many broken stock cranks have you seen?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Cranks don't break from too much power
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

ID1000's here @ 57% duty cycle max and a methanol fogger setup.
Turn the boost up buddy 57% is nothing.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

"Best job" is relative though as there are many variations or thoughts on what is best, or best value etc etc.

In this instance, an approx $500 short motor did the job. It's really hard to argue with that. If it breaks it breaks. Just get another.

Are they suggesting everyone does the same ? nope. But even the best most expensive motor can fail, especially when it comes to actual tuning
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

That was wicked sick and at 7100 RPM!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
02402ramair
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw yesterday morning on YB. That is crazy. We have a stock 4.8 long block on the stand right now that we are going to test the limits on. Old LS6 cam laying around the shop, old pull off DBL springs, used cover gaskets and all. Heck I even have some good used oil I saved for it. F2 and a 4.8. May need a diaper but it should be fun trying. When it blows we are out very little.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:34 PM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In a 1/4 mile you are probably fine for a while. Its the long duration of pressures seen in 1/2 Mile - 1 mile events where its seems to happen (pushing water) more comonly with big boost.

Last edited by MotleyDrew; 04-03-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MotleyDrew
Its the long duration of pressures seen in 1/2 Mile - 1 mile events where its seems to happen (pushing water) more comonly with big boost.
One mile event, around 25 seconds at WOT. Similar than five or even more subsequent WOT runs. That would be nice. But isn't that what most of the hardcore tuners do anyway to make sure engine copes all the abuse..
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MotleyDrew
In a 1/4 mile you are probably fine for a while. Its the long duration of pressures seen in 1/2 Mile - 1 mile events where its seems to happen (pushing water) more comonly with big boost.
Pushing water has got NOTHING to do with 1/2 mile or 1 mile races.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Pushing water has got NOTHING to do with 1/2 mile or 1 mile races.
Really? How long the flame burns is going to dictate how much damage you inflict. You can run more on the ragged edge in shorter races. True story.

Get notified of new replies

To For all the people who think you need 6 bolt blocks for big boost-step in!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by user_name
Really? How long the flame burns is going to dictate how much damage you inflict. You can run more on the ragged edge in shorter races. True story.
Why would you run on the "ragged edge"?

Tell me how many cars leave the dyno only to leave to run the 1/4 mile? Who knows what they run for how long they run?

Tune it safe-with a safety net and let it eat.

Some cars leave the dyno room floor to never see a 1/4 mile, some go on road coarses, some go do burnouts up and down the street-some get fired up and are pegged to redline without ever getting hot.

Ragged edge is for X275 cars.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Why would you run on the "ragged edge"?

Tell me how many cars leave the dyno only to leave to run the 1/4 mile? Who knows what they run for how long they run?

Tune it safe-with a safety net and let it eat.

Some cars leave the dyno room floor to never see a 1/4 mile, some go on road coarses, some go do burnouts up and down the street-some get fired up and are pegged to redline without ever getting hot.

Ragged edge is for X275 cars.

I agree and try to dial mine in that way, but those really long runs are hard to simulate. People find this out at the Texas mile all the time. Pump gas cars suddenly aren't pump anymore. Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think what arun is saying is that it doesn't matter if you run 1/4 mile or full mile. If its going to push water it will do it no matter what at full boost. But yes running a full mile has way more of a chance of damaging the motor itself than running short burst or 1/4 mile

Quick Reply: For all the people who think you need 6 bolt blocks for big boost-step in!