C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosted Build: Best Platform

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by storxusmc
... prooven tunes for a baseline to go from.. is hptuners like this..??
Every car is different. I approach every single tune and every single car as if it were unique. This is where things can start going south really fast.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
Every car is different. I approach every single tune and every single car as if it were unique. This is where things can start going south really fast.
No, i understand this.. this is why i like to tune things myself, I let alot of people tune cars for me in past and typically the cars never ran exactly how i wanted them to, or if i ran it the way i wanted the tune someone else did, didnt match my driving style. I am not one to push an engine to its extremes trying to drain it of ever once of hp it can make.. this is something i didnt like when i had others tune my cars previously.. they would care nothing about how the car ran on the streeet after it got off the dyno.. but they would tune it for that PEAK hp on the dyno as if the conditions are always ideal like they were on the dyno...... i have blown engines and lifted heads from this.. When i tune cars now.. i tune them based on heat soak, IAT's and EGT's... if i plan to keep the car around for a while it doesnt make any sense to push it for another 20hp if it nets an extra 300 degrees EGT's.. the car would last much longer with less heat cycling through the engine.. this is IMO the best way i have come up with on tuning cars..

Example:
My 2009 VW TDI
Compound turbo setup
300ish whp / 600ish wtq...
I could make another 100hp and possibly another 200tq out of the car running more fuel and boost.. but the EGT's were getting in excess of 1000c at my current levers and every car that i have seen run over 1000c EGT's didnt last very long before something was worn out very very quickly or parts start dieing from excess heat. When i ran it at TDI Fest this year the other cars that ran the track that day were putting down much better numbers than i was in peaks.. but after all said and done.. all those high EGT cars i noticed.. had some kind of mechanical difficulty that day after an hour or so racing while mine went around without an hiccup.

Quick Reply: Boosted Build: Best Platform