C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone done any REAL exhaust testing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
At one time I was considering installing some 3" chambered mufflers from "Classic Chambered Exhaust" into my Kooks 3" X-Pipe. After that there was no 3" over the axle straight setup similar to the one that Borla makes in 2.5" without going custom bent mandrel. A couple of shops in the Houston area could have done it for me but I didn't pursue because I would not know the sound characteristics until the project was complete. I didn't want a loud drone so I sat back and waited for a manufacturer to make one. Look at the link below, I think it may answer a few questions and have some solutions.

http://classicchambered.com/index.html

I spoke with Corsa when the Extreme C5 system first came out and asked if they would do in 3" and mentioned the interest from the forced induction crowd and they said the 2.5" would handle our needs. Obviously it will flow well for a 2.5" but I was looking for an optimized 3" system. The LG system was an option at the time also but I heard that it had drone and also didn't like the factory style mufflers with all the bends. With a 3" bypass like the Ti-Mod it may work well but I wasn't willing to purchase it, modify it and hope I liked the sound.

Recently a CF member that road races his C6z had a custom muffler system manufactured by Burns Exhaust in 3". Currently in the Autocross/Roadrace section they are trying to put together a group buy. It's possible that Burns could do something similar for the C5 at least for the over the axle part in mandrel 3" but not sure of the mufflers. I still think the 3" straight mufflers from "Classic Chambered Exhaust" installed in a 3" X-Pipe would be the best muffler solution. They come in many lengths which determines how loud it will sound and IMHO are the best "muffled" option I've seen for C5 fitment.

The link to the Burns Exhaust thread on CF:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...group-buy.html

There seems to be several threads from this one link so it may be a lot of reading.

Link below with pictures seems to be original thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...t-exhaust.html

Chambered pipes flow TERRIBLE... I wouldn't go that route... With deal with that BS on the C2 Vettes we have in our group with chambered side pipes.... Small ID and turbulent as hell..

However you did give me a killer idea tho!
Talking about the bypass mod on the stock Ti......

How about doing a bypass mod on my 3" XSP system the same way, however using a 3" bypass pipe with an electric cutout in the bypass on each side...

Cruising around town, close the bypass and force it all thru the muff... At the track, open the cutout and let the exhaust flow thru the bypass straight to the tips...-- we might be on to something with this... It will help with my clearance issues of installing a cutout anywhere else...

I may pursue this... Relatively cheap too... $300 for some Qtp cutouts and $50 to my exhaust guy.... HMMMM
Old 05-31-2014, 04:43 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Chambered pipes flow TERRIBLE... I wouldn't go that route... With deal with that BS on the C2 Vettes we have in our group with chambered side pipes.... Small ID and turbulent as hell..

However you did give me a killer idea tho!
Talking about the bypass mod on the stock Ti......

How about doing a bypass mod on my 3" XSP system the same way, however using a 3" bypass pipe with an electric cutout in the bypass on each side...

Cruising around town, close the bypass and force it all thru the muff... At the track, open the cutout and let the exhaust flow thru the bypass straight to the tips...-- we might be on to something with this... It will help with my clearance issues of installing a cutout anywhere else...

I may pursue this... Relatively cheap too... $300 for some Qtp cutouts and $50 to my exhaust guy.... HMMMM

Sounds like a cool idea to me!

I love the way the xsp sounds and with an electric cutout/bypass it would be awesome!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:42 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

When I was 638rwhp the cutouts added 13rwhp on the dyno but the car felt a little sluggish in lower rpms and came on harder up top. Now I'm 800+rwhp and I added the Callaway DoubleD exhaust. You can tell there is not as much back pressure as the TI exhaust for sure. I came to conclusion that my car (seat of the pants) runs better with a little bit of back pressure. Plus I always have the cutouts on stand by. I'm also running LG pro's and 3" xpipe no cats.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I'm going to try something similar to this...Only I'll use a 3" bypass pipe and it will come off the over the axle pipe straight off the corner so there will be no bend to the tips..... Then I'm going to oval the bypass pipe where it ties into the tips so it will feed both tips on each side, making the tip a full 3" outlet...

I'll be shutting my car down here in a few weeks to do some repairs, some mods and I'll do the bypass mod with the electric cutouts at the same time.... Then I will dyno test it to see if the cutouts helped or not.....If not, its not a major loss....(<$500)...

I'm still open to suggestions and any other exhaust info anyone has...
Old 06-01-2014, 11:25 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

More pics of a C5Z TI muffler cut open I shamelessly stole from MadMatt9471..

Well....I can see why they are so quiet.... There is no way that flows for sh*t....
Originally Posted by a/c man
Either way on both my set-up they flow pretty dang good!

Why the C5 Z06 TI exhaust flows so well is still beyond me - that is why I had to cut one open, and especially since it had not been done before that (or that I could find anywhere)

I really like (In my Youtube Video above) 3" B&B Fusions with the full factory 3" C6 ZR1 Exhaust manifolds, cats, xpipe

It is proven to make real good HP, as it is in my case - I would of stayed with LT headers etc, if it were not for California smog regs!

Either way I do love the sound of my new set-up and performance!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

I'm going to try something similar to this...Only I'll use a 3" bypass pipe and it will come off the over the axle pipe straight off the corner so there will be no bend to the tips..... Then I'm going to oval the bypass pipe where it ties into the tips so it will feed both tips on each side, making the tip a full 3" outlet...

I'll be shutting my car down here in a few weeks to do some repairs, some mods and I'll do the bypass mod with the electric cutouts at the same time.... Then I will dyno test it to see if the cutouts helped or not.....If not, its not a major loss....(<$500)...

Now that is a killer set-up - very nice!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-01-2014, 03:08 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

plenty of people have done the cutout in the muffler bypass & been happy with it. personally, i'd recommend DMH cutouts - less problems i've heard about & a longer warranty. those're the ones i've got - almost 3 years & running strong.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:30 PM
daws222000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have GHL bullets with two cut outs, each cut out is right before the bend to go up over the axel, I have a turbo car but I couldn't give you results yet. Some day if I ever get time to tune it I will. When I get back in town I can post Picts.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
daws222000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default exhaust

Originally Posted by daws222000
I have GHL bullets with two cut outs, each cut out is right before the bend to go up over the axel, I have a turbo car but I couldn't give you results yet. Some day if I ever get time to tune it I will. When I get back in town I can post Picts.

I found 1 pic
Old 06-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting design on the Corsa extreme.. Pretty much straight pipe with just a small "draw off" into a dead headed muffler to knock the edge off the drone.. If this was a 3" system, they may be on to something..

I'm gonna contact PYPEs about possibly building a system for a C5, setup the way I want it... Or I may build my own using the 3" cat back I have and just revamping it before the muffs... Gonna research this for a while...

Ideally, I'd like to Dyno mine as it sits with the XSP exhaust, then pull the mufflers off and see if it picks up power...if it does, then I know I need to do something.. If not, I'll let it ride.. The problem is I have my mufflers welded on so its not gonna be an easy task to yank em off and throw em back on.... Not to mention the pipes falling down over the axles when the muffs are off.
Now this is a weird setup............ Corsa really gets into the Helmholz resonator stuff. My AAR Cuda has reverse flow mufflers like these. When I worked at Dynomax around 2001, we flow tested some NOS Chrysler mufflers I had, then built some stainless MUCH better flowing ones. The internals need large flow tubes, plus a flow director at the opposite end. Results were impressive vs. stock. And once again, these Corsa mufflers are very strange...I am unimpressed with their setup here.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

If you end up doing this, I have about 12ft of polished 3" straight 304SS left over in the garage. I'll bring you a section to use if needed when I run down there for an inspection on my junk
Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Well after an extremely long day... My exhaust experiment/modding is done.... Here is the completed system..

Had to cut the trunk, no way around it with 3" pipes... I'm going to build a flat trunk floor out of aluminum for it.....

Starting "Y" ing into the axle pipe... I really wanted to tap right into the arch of the bend more, but it would have made it a lot harder to get a straight shot to the tip... This is what we ended up with...3" Y, ovaled...then cut and ovaled to hole to get as much flow as I can..

Pretty decent size holes in there after we ovaled them... I realize this is still not the OPTIMUM position for max flow to the cutout...Really need a way bigger "V" cut into the axle pipe....But after looking at everything and how hard it was gonna be to weld it closer to the cradle, we went this route.... I would imagine we are getting 60-75% flow through the cutout when its open..

Yes I need to go back and clean up the entire system, rear bumper cover etc etc...as well as tape off/paint all the welds...I just ran out of time today and wanted to get some pics up. I know its filthy under there...It will get resolved..

I think it looks sick without the big trunk tub down there.... Will be much easier to pull the drive train too..

And a vid...

Initially the cutouts are closed.... Then open, then closed....I think you'll hear the difference...

Maybe in a month or so, I'll get it on the dyno and see if all of this effort and money was worth anything or not.....

Last edited by ajrothm; 06-02-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

^^^ Buddy that sounds great dont see how you will not get better hp & tq out of her. I say at least 20 more..

I know you will please post it when you get her back on the dyno...

Last edited by robert miller; 06-02-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome job Allen its killer I need to know how much this mod makes on the dyno!!
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Couple other interesting pics...

So my 3" XS Power cat back, is actually 3" in, 2.5" out into the dual tips... Well that 2.5" appears to start from an open chamber at the end of the muff, just like the stock Ti muffs... As best as I could tell... Here is a pic of the outlet pipe inside the muffler after we cut the dual tip pipe off... We ended up building a single tip pipe for the muff.

My ARH 3" mid pipe/x pipe has this nice little bottle neck down to 2.5 ish" right at the flange...

This is looking through the cutout pipe where it "Y"s into the axle pipe....We slash cut/ovaled that pipe and I cut the oval hole in the axle pipe as big as I could to get as much flow before the bend as I could get....(I know its not perfect)

Left side

Seems like some decent size holes, maybe not in the highest pressure area to draw off from but....Definitely gets some decent flow.. Hard as hell to grind that crap out to open it up a lot....grinder angles are hard to get going through a 3" flange....

Ironically, the car is a little quieter, but a little deeper with the single tip coming off the muffler as opposed to dual tips coming off the muff.. But if I crack open the cutout maybe 1/8", it sounds pretty nasty at idle.... Open it any more then that and it sounds like a straight pipe farm truck...(as seen in my vid)...Only time it will ever drive like that is at the track.
_zebra
Le Mans Master

definitely sounds like a big open 3" system!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:58 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

My ARH 3" mid pipe/x pipe has this nice little bottle neck down to 2.5 ish" right at the flange...

yep, mine too.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone done any REAL exhaust testing?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
yep, mine too.
Yup my LG pros have a 3'' mid pipe with the same neck down at the flange
Old 06-03-2014, 07:03 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Very nice

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-03-2014, 08:31 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I love it! It's always nice to know there are others out there that are at least close to equally as crazy as you are. Thanks for the reminder, it's so comforting! That's what this forum is all about IMO.

In for the results. I might have to add this one to my bucket list.

Quick Reply: Anyone done any REAL exhaust testing?