C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Doug, how about your base setup on any stock Vette, restrictor plate and smaller pulley vs non-restrictor plate and larger pulley so that peak boost for both setups is similar?

If there are any comparison dyno results that would be great!

Again, I understand and believe in the concept though I'm not looking for max power, just a roughly 125 HP peak power improvement with max midrange under the curve as it's purely a street car and I don't want to kill the low mile stock clutch etc (really looking for mountain passing power at moderate RPM's without a high-rise hood etc).

The bone stock 2K FRC goes on lots of long trips so I need to keep my economy up, and I'm in CA so my exhaust options are limited (no LT Headers, hence my interest in FI).

Thanks...

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Depends on the size of the restrictor in relation to the pulley used so that's tough to answer. That's why we do not sell these for other kits, it actually takes a bit of trial and error to size them correctly.

Last edited by doug_dayson; 07-25-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the plate I get about 8-9 psi on your 1500 blower. How much more would I get if I removed it?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 PM
2003VETT
Melting Slicks

Location: Still the Fastest (still running) Stock Bottom End Blown LS1/ 2010 ECS CC 10.50 CHAMP Hamilton, NJ
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been running the restrictor plate since 2006 when ECS did the original install. It's it perfect. Still running the stock engine (except cam) runs mid 10's all day long with the restrictor, pull out the restrictor and runs instant mid 9's. There are other variables in there as well.

Originally, with a pump gas tune and low boost (7). I ran low 11's, high 10's. Cam and meth, went low 10's, torco and a little more timing, went 9's.
Race fuel, more timing, and leaving Doug alone to tune, low 9's.
Plain and simple, it works.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm sure the data exists out there somewhere but I haven't found it. I've seen data from different cars, similar setups (but not exactly the same), one with restrictor and one without.

What I'd like to see is:
- Make a dyno pull with restrictor
- Remove restrictor and repeat the pull

Log boost and IAT vs rpm and start at 2krpm.

Should be easy to do!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

I'd like this as well, except that the non-restrictor test should be pulley'd so it's max boost matches the restrictor test (apples to apples assuming that both tests are in the head unit's sweet zone).

This should help those of us with stock drivetrains who are more interested in midrange power rather than peak power.

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
I'm sure the data exists out there somewhere but I haven't found it. I've seen data from different cars, similar setups (but not exactly the same), one with restrictor and one without.

What I'd like to see is:
- Make a dyno pull with restrictor
- Remove restrictor and repeat the pull

Log boost and IAT vs rpm and start at 2krpm.

Should be easy to do!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_dayson
I'd like this as well, except that the non-restrictor test should be pulley'd so it's max boost matches the restrictor test (apples to apples assuming that both tests are in the head unit's sweet zone).

This should help those of us with stock drivetrains who are more interested in midrange power rather than peak power.
So where do you think stock drivetrains break, low & midrange power or peak power after the car is moving faster.

Same question for traction

Last edited by 4DRUSH; 07-26-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
So where do you think stock drivetrains break, low & midrange power or peak power after the car is moving faster.

Low end off the line crap even more so if he dump the clutch. Then power shifting hard into the next gear.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:12 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by robert miller
Low end off the line crap even more so if he dump the clutch. Then power shifting hard into the next gear.
Who asked you Robert
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Read the whole thread. In my case it's not about the track, it's just a "street car".

In the "street" duty cycle I won't be dumping the clutch on race tires, just looking for mid thru high rpm passing power in the mountains.

Clutches fail when their clamping power is overcome, and in a street duty cycle with a Centri that will most likely be at their high rpm power peak (they'll slip and glaze).

Traction is governed by the driver.

If I want to drag I'll take my 71 406ci coupe with the built 700R4.

Last edited by doug_dayson; 07-27-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Looked all over and couldn't find comparison dyno results of both a restricted and non-restricted centri setup, where they both generate the same max boost (on the same test engine etc).

I did find a test where they ran the same setup with and without the restrictor plate, but obviously it didn't show any midrange improvement, just high end loss when restricted.

I can't believe anybody, especially ECS, hasn't run this test during development?

Anyone have some real data?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:45 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Looked all over and couldn't find comparison dyno results of both a restricted and non-restricted centri setup, where they both generate the same max boost (on the same test engine etc).

I did find a test where they ran the same setup with and without the restrictor plate, but obviously it didn't show any midrange improvement, just high end loss when restricted.

I can't believe anybody, especially ECS, hasn't run this test during development?

Anyone have some real data?
I think you should do that test, than make a vid of your car up to 4k rpm, then letting off the throttle.

That would be really cool.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 AM
doug_dayson
Racer

...and I think you should stay out of this thread if you don't have anything intelligent to add to it!

I think you should do that test, than make a vid of your car up to 4k rpm, then letting off the throttle.

That would be really cool.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

The guy is asking legitimate questions, what is wrong with you guys??

Not everyone is born as with the Superior knowledge of supercharging that you guys apparently are.

doug, in general we typically make about 50 rwtq more with our design in the 550/600 rwhp area then our competitors. After that HP level the restrictor gains diminish so we do not use them above that.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

...and I think you should stay out of this thread if you don't have anything intelligent to add to it!
It's not your thread & the question was answered in post 2

Not gonna make many friends here with your attitude
Old 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

With friends like you who needs enemies?

Doug was kind enough to offer a basic overview to the OP in post #2, thank you Doug!

It's not your thread & the question was answered in post 2

Not gonna make many friends here with your attitude
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Thanks Doug!

I'm guessing that some guys here are just not understanding my questions as they're solely concerned with max power?

Anyway...

FYI, I'm quite well versed on FI and have read Corky Bell's Supercharged a couple of times cover to cover, have a friend with a 650RWHP twin turbo C5, two friends with PD Maggies on their C5's, another friend who's a retired crew chief from NHRA, and a friend with a factory original Paxton on his Studebaker Hawk (variable diameter pulley, just what I need LOL!).

What I'm looking for is a non-standard setup in that I'm looking for max low-midrange on up and not peak power from a Centri, and I'm simply looking for real-world numbers to convince me it's what I should do to mod my bone stock 2K FRC without sacrificing OEM reliability and economy in all street driving scenarios?

I'm in CA so no LT Headers which makes it hard to get the numbers I want N/A (400 - 425 RWHP from a M6), without too much cam and the resulting loss of drive-ability and economy, plus issues passing CA smog. This car takes a lot of long trips and needs to be 100% OEM reliable and return OEM economy in a 100% street duty cycle. I have a 71 Coupe 406ci with Trickflows/built 700R4/BFG R1's I can beat on if I feel the need.

If I have a 6K RPM redline and I'm pulley'd for say 9 - 10 PSI, then restricted down to say 6 - 7 PSI, how much power increase will I see at say 3 - 3.5K RPM over a non-restricted system pulley'd for 6 - 7 PSI? To make it worth while to me I'd want to see around 50% of my restricted max boost/power, on a extremely conservative 91 pump gas/desert temps/sea level friendly tune sans Meth. Is this possible in the real world with just a A-A Intercooler?

What about the new variable ratio i-1 ProCharger? This appears to be able to do what I need, anyone try or tune one yet?

Thanks for any help...

Not everyone is born as with the Superior knowledge of supercharging that you guys apparently are.

doug, in general we typically make about 50 rwtq more with our design in the 550/600 rwhp area then our competitors. After that HP level the restrictor gains diminish so we do not use them above that.

Last edited by doug_dayson; 07-30-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

With friends like you who needs enemies?

Doug was kind enough to offer a basic overview to the OP in post #2, thank you Doug!
Good come back, might be hope for you after all.

Now go buy a that supercharger, restrictor plate or not & I'm sure you'll be happy with the low end torque

Get notified of new replies

To How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Cheers!

Good come back, might be hope for you after all.

Now go buy a that supercharger, restrictor plate or not & I'm sure you'll be happy with the low end torque
Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean not everyone on here is trying to sell something... And all things equal you will not make 50 more hp then someone else..if you did, you would have plastered the dyno all over here.. you would make the same or less because the pulley dictates when and how much the psi will make at any given rpm.. a plate simply limits the max amount of psi allowed in the engine.. that's it..period... why is no "data" to support these more claims... because they simply don't exist..
Old 07-30-2014, 07:34 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Please, let's not degenerate into old west coast vs east coast arguments like a bunch of gangsta thugs!

For what l'm asking there's no doubt that a smaller pulley and a restrictor plate can generate more midrange as the head spools faster.

The question is how much improvement can you get restricted with a smaller pulley at 3K - 3.5K rpm before IAT's and parasitic losses negate going smaller pulley/restrictor-wise (vs a non-restricted setup with a larger pulley), on a conservative max 6 - 7 PSI at 6K rpm/ultra conservative tune sans Meth on a stock LS1?

Last edited by doug_dayson; 07-30-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?